Menu

Protein Shake/Smoothie - What do you use?

Outdoorsy Type

I make smoothies for the kids every morning.

I use TGS Whey for protein in fruit based drinks. It is unflavored/unsweetened. I have a vitamix and this powder dissolves in a way that makes the smoothie like ice cream.  

The most common on the kids drink is

1 banana

1 cup mango

1 cup pineapple

1 cup strawberries

1/2 can coconut milk

orange juice for fluid (or the left over flavors of juice boxes that no one drinks LOL)

1/2 scoop (10 grams of protein) TGS powder is unnoticeable to the kids.

If I add 1 full scoop, then I add extra raspberries or marion berries to cover the flavor.

We vary it from there.  On top of those listed, in my freezer I have:

Peaches

Raspberries

Mixed berries

Blueberries

Marion berries

Cherries

Random melons that we didn't eat all of, so I froze parts.

sometimes it has peanut butter or chocolate.

Smoothie #1

Fage 0% plain greek yogurt  (has 18 grams of protein for a 6 oz container)

1/2 cup frozen blueberries

1 banana

big handful of spinach

about 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk

Smoothie#2 

Fage yogurt

1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder

1 cup any frozen fruit, 1/2 berries and 1/2 either peaches or mango

about 1 cup unsweetened almond milk

handful of spinach

I really, really like strawberry Shakeology from Beachbody but it's ridiculously expensive.  :(  Trying to find a replacement.

That said, when I use it I make it with unsweetened almond milk, a big dollop of no-fat vanilla Greek yogurt, and half a frozen banana and/or some frozen blueberries.  

• Like 1

I usually have a protein shake for breakfast, I found Plant Fusion protein powder- I don't do well with milk/whey protein powders... (I like the chocolate)

I usually have it like this:

1 scoop choc. protein powder

1/2 banana  (sometimes I substitute a handful of frozen strawberries or frozen cherries, yum)

3/4 cup almond milk

1/2 cup coffee

7-8 pieces of ice.   If I want more protein I throw in a tablespoon of pb.

I'm hooked on adding the coffee, funny, I don't actually drink coffee, but I need it in my smoothie now.

I really, really like strawberry Shakeology from Beachbody but it's ridiculously expensive.   :(  Trying to find a replacement.

That said, when I use it I make it with unsweetened almond milk, a big dollop of no-fat vanilla Greek yogurt, and half a frozen banana and/or some frozen blueberries.  

yeah, I really liked the shakeology too, but couldn't afford it.  I found the Plant fusion was good, and seemed to have good stuff in it, and also I really liked the taste of Vega one chocolate, but it was a bit more expensive than plant fusion and the deciding factor was that it left small clumps in the mixer that were harder to clean out.  I like that I can order from amazon when I am running low.

My goto at the moment is a banana, frozen pineapple chunks, coconut milk and protein powder. I cycle though. Before that it was frozen strawberries, almond milk and coconut powder, banana optional. Ds's fave is banana, peanut butter, sweet vanilla soy milk & protein powder. Dd is the most creative and I don't know her recipes, but it is always a fruit, spinach, soy milk, and who knows what else often chocolate is involved :).