Menu

Vent...is this common..PS related

kahlanne

I have never heard of such things.  My older boy is in public high school and they have been very accommodating when it comes to appointments etc. They want the homework made up, but as long as that is done everything is fine. 

Is the school in some sort of trouble with their funding due to poor attendance or low graduation rates? It sounds like they are under some sort of pressure to prove something.

And yes, I would be calling school board members.  My BIL is on his local school board and he would get calls about such things (not the same) all the time and he did something about it if he could

• Like 1

Absolutely and completely ridiculous. It sounds like you and other parents need to meet and go before the school board. 

I have to remind myself that I am NOT that freaking old. I remember being allowed to check out and run home on days I was sick (once a month, severe dysmennorhea and I was only required to call my mother to inform her before I left so the school secretary knew that my mother was informed of my leaving), never had to have a doctor's note (the school secretary had a daughter with the same issue), and even without checking out the morning I forgot my bra (I was tiny and had a bulky sweater; it was an easy miss for me).

I graduated high school in 2001, so not that terribly long ago, and the rules schools have now are utter lunacy. My school had its issues, to be sure, but you could mostly wear what you wanted, eat lunch where you wanted, leave when you needed to, and come back when you were able. Elementary school kids could get to school in whatever manner their parents wanted, and if the parent wanted to walk them to class, hey, have at it. You didn't need a doctor's note to stay home because you had the flu or whatever. A phone call from a parent was sufficient.

Dh watches a lot of Lock Up at night, and as far as I can tell, schools are becoming nearly indistinguishable from prisons. And that's not hyperbole. 

• Like 15

I wanted to clarify something. While I understand not taking a day for dentist appt, I think the school is overstepping if I chose to do so when my student doesn't usually miss even the 5 days per year and is a straight A student. Our school starts at 7:00 and ends at 2:30. Our dentist opens at 9:00 and handles emergencies first. It closes at 4:00. My son has football from 2:30-6:00 daily unless there is a game and then they stay until after the game. At best I could get a 10:00 scheduled appt which means leaving at a little before 9:00 to make it to dentist. He would get one full class in on block days. If I only took him to the dentist and it took an hour, he would not be able to get back to the school until 12:00 if we skipped lunch. On block days he would only be able to make max 2 classes but possibly only 1 afternoon class if timing fell between classes. Can't check in with doctor's excuse until next class. This is why I choose one day per school year to take all my family for their cleanings so it is over and done with on one day. My son hasn't been to the doctor in two years other than physical which we do in summer months. Even so I still say if a doctor gives an excuse you are overstepping if you must know time and regulate whether I have been able to make it back by then. JMO.

That is interesting. When I just think about taking an entire day for the dentist, I have some doubts. In your case, when I hear the details, it makes sense. Is there anyone in your school that you could speak with? With your ds's good attendance and excellent academic record, getting a pass would be approved in our school, I think, provided I found the right person to speak with. The attendance person would probably not have access to your son's grades and so on, but someone who knows him better may want to help.

One thing I have done is email individual teachers to let them know what is going on. For example, Ds got an excuse from the principal for a family wedding, so the excuse would show up in the teachers' online grade books. But many wrote back to say that they appreciated knowing what was going on. Not rocket science, and I realize you may do this already.

• Like 1

On the subject of the uniforms - our school doesn't have them, but I've always been pro-uniform, and myself went to a Catholic high school with uniforms.  I loved not having to think about what to wear every morning, and it really eliminated some of the "you're not wearing the right brand/fashion" stuff that I had to deal with in middle school.

BUT...the level of persnickity lunacy about the uniforms in this thread (hall checks, detention if not perfect, right shirt on the right day...), is completely over the top Whack-a-doodle.  I would not be able to deal with that either.

• Like 6

My oldest went to public school and there was nothing like that.  Seniors were allowed to check themselves out and back in once the were 18.

My high school was a closed campus but parents could still sign kids out for various reasons.  It just meant kids couldn't leave on their own for lunch.  It was prompted by a LOT of accidents occurring when kids would drive out to the nearest highway for the fast food places.

My oldest son attends our local public high school. They have reduced the amount of absences  to 5 per semester without doctor's excuse. Last year we had an issue with the school wanting the doctor's excuse time stamped so they could determine if you had ample time to return to school that same day. I scheduled my son a dentist appointment middle of the day along with the rest of my 6 children. We make one trip to the dentist twice a year for cleaning, once in summer. When he returned with the excuse the next day the school told him that he had time to come to school, leave to go to dentist, and return in same day rather than our keeping him out all day. He explained that the appt was for all of us and he had to wait. They said that wasn't their problem and next time it was going to be an unexcused absence.  Our dentist is an hours drive away. It aggravates me!

Our private school (and the local public schools) all have the 5-day-per-semester rule. And honestly, it isn't fair to a highschooler to keep him out of school all day for a routine dental appointment. Lower grades I wouldn't worry, but by high school my DS says any and every class period can matter. I even make a point of getting his appointments after school now.

Another policy they started is not allowing your child to be checked out unless it is between class times. Seems simple enough to pick up your kid on the scheduled times but it isn't so simple. Our school is on a  partial block schedule. They alternate days for the blocks, odd classes and even classes on separate days, with the exception of Fridays. Fridays they attend all classes so the timing is different for Fridays. If they have any special things planned the classes get sped up for the day. Many times there is pep rally, special presentation in the gym, etc. I try to leave my son there as long as possible before checking him out but sometimes the timing doesn't match up exactly. I arrived on an off time to pick my son up and had to wait 10 minutes before they released him. I was told it doesn't matter the excuse, whether a family emergency or planned appt, they will not discuss the reasons as this is their policy. 10 min didn't hurt us that day but if I have a family emergency and the school won't allow it, I think I would explode. Ridiculous. It isn't a large school btw so there are not that many students checking out at all times imo. 

I have subbed now, and it is amazingly disruptive to have a student pack up and leave in the middle of a class, so I see the point of the rule, at least for something like a routine appointment. Really, if you rushed in and said, "There's been an accident! We are on the way to the hospital!" I suspect they would allow your son to leave. But all too many parents think everything is an emergency if their time is infringed. I hear a lot of "I'm running late! I don't have time for this!" kind of stuff when I'm in the office.

Oh and while I am venting.....one last one I promise...New policy about lunches too. I didn't realize my son's lunch account was low until the morning of so I handed him a $20. He came home starving because they no longer allow you to pay for school lunch at lunch time in line. You must  pay online. Same rule here. It reduces the issues with money being lost or stolen, and the extra time required for paying, Wasn't this in the student handbook? While I understand   the no negative balance policy, allowing a child to eat without paying, I cannot understand not allowing the child to pay beforehand. When I brought my daughter a large bought salad, from Walmart, I wasn't allowed to give it to her. Why? It wasn't in a lunchbox and was identifiable as to where it came from. It cannot be visible or in a plastic bag, only a lunch bag. I had to go home and return with the same salad in her lunch box. We only live minutes from the school. Oh and I had to wait another hour because the drop off stuff has to fit between classes and I missed it by leaving the school to get the lunch box. No, we don't have a lunchbox policy.

Sometimes I wonder. Does your public school have rules like this? Unfortunately, a lot of these rules were put in place because people abused the system before.

• Like 2

My youngest attends a public high school with an open campus. Kids come and go all day, lunch, internships, work, appointments. However, there are strident attendance policies. Every teacher of every class takes attendance daily. Even compliant me has recieved a truancy notice in the mail for forgetting to call when DC was sick. It cleared with one phone call. The letter I got basically said, 'Don't' panic, but please call the attendance office ASAP to clear these absences."

I think it's ridiculous for any school is micromanage HS students like that.

• Like 5

Linders, I think I can agree with some of what you are saying, except the part about the dental appt. His dentist is an hour away. It sounds like they are not open on the weekends and definitely not open after school hours (common here in the South, unfortunately; the North is so much better about these things). So a dental appointment JUST for this one child is three hours minimum (hour travel, hour there, hour back); it is longer if an emergency comes in at the same time or just before him (could stretch to four or five hours). That is most of the school day. Add in that siblings are taken in together (cost of gas, only once or twice a year and then done); this IS an all day event. What would YOUR solution be? (I ask out of curiousity, to be helpful to the OP, and to point out that the culture of availability is different in different parts of the States)

• Like 6

Linders, I think I can agree with some of what you are saying, except the part about the dental appt. His dentist is an hour away. It sounds like they are not open on the weekends and definitely not open after school hours (common here in the South, unfortunately; the North is so much better about these things). So a dental appointment JUST for this one child is three hours minimum (hour travel, hour there, hour back); it is longer if an emergency comes in at the same time or just before him (could stretch to four or five hours). That is most of the school day. Add in that siblings are taken in together (cost of gas, only once or twice a year and then done); this IS an all day event. What would YOUR solution be? (I ask out of curiousity, to be helpful to the OP, and to point out that the culture of availability is different in different parts of the States)

I didn't fully get the dental situation until I read the update in post 51. Perhaps It's the case with other posters too?

• Like 1

I graduated high school in 2001, so not that terribly long ago, and the rules schools have now are utter lunacy. My school had its issues, to be sure, but you could mostly wear what you wanted, eat lunch where you wanted, leave when you needed to, and come back when you were able. Elementary school kids could get to school in whatever manner their parents wanted, and if the parent wanted to walk them to class, hey, have at it. You didn't need a doctor's note to stay home because you had the flu or whatever. A phone call from a parent was sufficient.

Dh watches a lot of Lock Up at night, and as far as I can tell, schools are becoming nearly indistinguishable from prisons. And that's not hyperbole. 

The sad thing is, where I am currently I'm seeing this with jobs. A signed doctor's note is required for each time you are sick or you can lose your job. My son is sick maybe two or three times a year. We have no car. We would have to walk to the ER for him to be seen. I know this winter, when I drove myself there, the waiting room was full of people with the flu simply because they had no insurance and needed a note in order to keep their job. My son is considered one of the best employees they have at his job and has only been sick twice in the past year (for one day, each time...one of those, he nearly passed out walking to work, which is 45min on foot. I happened to be walking with him, because I needed to go to the store and had to make sure he got home okay. It was the flu. There was no way this kid was going to walk to the medical center). One more time and he will lose his job.

• Like 1

Not Linders, but I would schedule one appointment over Christmas break and the other in the summer. Problem solved!

But I agree with the OP that this school is out of control.

• Like 6

Dental cleaning are not a good excuse to miss an entire day of school. Sorry.

One could schedule appointments in June and December during the traditional Summer and Winter breaks to take care of these needs.

Cases like this are why schools are forced into making draconian rules. Good grief.

Bill

• Like 3

On the subject of the uniforms - our school doesn't have them, but I've always been pro-uniform, and myself went to a Catholic high school with uniforms.  I loved not having to think about what to wear every morning, and it really eliminated some of the "you're not wearing the right brand/fashion" stuff that I had to deal with in middle school.

BUT...the level of persnickity lunacy about the uniforms in this thread (hall checks, detention if not perfect, right shirt on the right day...), is completely over the top Whack-a-doodle.  I would not be able to deal with that either.

My daughter got a warning for dress code violation because she turned her school id backwards on her lanyard because she didn't like the photo. I actually took the school's side on this issue with her but secretly thought it was stupid. LOL.

• Like 1

My oldest went to public school and there was nothing like that.  Seniors were allowed to check themselves out and back in once the were 18.

My high school was a closed campus but parents could still sign kids out for various reasons.  It just meant kids couldn't leave on their own for lunch.  It was prompted by a LOT of accidents occurring when kids would drive out to the nearest highway for the fast food places.

Driving age kids can and do check themselves out. You have to sign a paper at the beginning of the year allowing themselves to do so but they can't check back in even if a parent brings them.

Thanks for this perspective. I understand that it is because people abuse the system but I think there should be some common sense applied at times. Yes every class matters but honestly one day a year for a routine dentist appt from a straight A student that doesn't even miss the allotted 5 days/semester shouldn't be too big of a deal.

• Like 3

:iagree: The insane and expensive uniform rules at my SILs public Middle School where she teaches have caused tremendous uproar but so far nothing has changed.  

And she was actually sanctioned for allowing a straight A student into another teacher's class because he was wearing the blue shirt on the red day (mom has to get clothes washed at the laundry mat, he only has one blue and one red shirt, the red shirt was very dirty, his mom had to go to work, he was doing homework all night so he didn't have time to hand wash and air dry the red shirt so he wore the blue).  The principal saw her let him go to class in the wrong colored shirt (still a school shirt, though), she got in trouble for letting him go and the boy was sent to detention for the day.  She had chosen to let him pass because she knew he had a major exam and she didn't want him to miss it.  He missed it anyway and had to sit in detention all day missing his other classes as well.

This scenario, among many others, makes it seem to me that the actual process of learning in our local schools has been completely obscured by the feeling that following very rigid rules is more important than academics.

• Like 9

Actually, I live in the South (SC), and the dentists are open until 5 pm 3 days a week. Works fine for 1 or 2 who need appts, not for a large group.

In any case, I stand by my thought that his routine appt should not keep a highschooler out for a full day. Routine appts are twice a year, right? So one can be done in the summer, certainly. And honestly, for once a year, I would bite the bullet on a 3 hour trip, or work especially hard to schedule it on a teacher in-service day. 

• Like 3

I'm in SC also. However, where we are at it is not necessarily as easy. For an eye appointment, you have to schedule two months in advance or travel an hour away (no public transportation available). Very little is open on the weekend and things roll up early, unless you are fortunate to live in the city (we don't). It's been a huge change for us (having lived near Philly and St. Louis). I do agree with taking advantage of the summer and winter breaks.

Yes the rules are over the top, but easy enough to work around.

As long as you know ahead of time though, I think they are easy enough to work around.

Schedule appointments on school days off or after school. Long holiday weekends, Christmas Break, Spring Break are easy times to do these types of things. Dental cleaning appointments are not an emergency and I don't think a high school student shouldn't be missing school for it anyways.  I would never miss work for an appointment that can be scheduled after work, high school is the same. Find a different dentist that is closer for him if you need to.  

Same for regular medical check ups. Schedule for off days, or use urgent care after hours. If you are sick enough to need to go to the doctor during school hours, then they probably don't need to return anyways.   

Our school has a no cash in line policy too. Parents or students can pay via check to the food service program at the office.  I check my daughters account on line every couple of months, but usually she just tells me when it is low.  If she doesn't tell me, and she goes hungry.....well, that is a natural consequence.  It isn't going to hurt a kid to go hungry for a day (barring a medical condition).  They may not learn as well, but again....natural consequences!

Unless there is a substantial medical condition, then I don't know why a student would need to miss more than 5 days anyways.  I have a daughter with a heal issue so I understand that side of the coin. I do assume there are ways to appeal the decision if there is a medical condition that requires more absences, or an option for home bound instruction.  It may just not be obvious unless you look for the process. 

As far as as the varied schedule.  Yep, I have dealt with that one for years.  No fun, but not a big deal if you think ahead.  You know the schedule so you can print if off and look it up ahead of time to make your drop off/pick up accordingly.  If you know you are going to be 10 minutes off schedule, then ask that he be allowed to wait in the office for you.  If they won't do that, then ask if he can walk off campus, and pick him up walking.  Before I plan something that has to be during school hours, I call the office ahead  of time to ask about assemblies, etc.  I call again about a week ahead to make sure nothing has been added that wasn't forecasted in the master schedule.   The school may add assemblies during the year for special hot topic issues, or a sport assembly if a team is going to state etc.   I don't think of this as any different than scheduling around a work schedule that you have to consider meetings or covering for another employee.  

I pay for a locker for dd, she keeps a change of clothes in her locker in case she has an accident or honestly, more likely for my dd, she gets dress coded and needs to change. ( She has long legs and will wear skirts that normal length on other people, but above the knee on her.  They don't look too short, but they are above the dress code rules). 

I get that the rules are annoying to parents, but honestly they aren't a big deal since you know ahead of time.  Just put effort in to planning ahead and they shouldn't be a problem.  I applaud a school that is trying to teach some accountability to students and families. I think that these rules will make for better employees when they leave the school situation. 

When my kids attended a school with very strict rules on attendance, I went to the dean, explained that we had a special needs daughter at home and told him ahead of time how that will affect my other daughters attendance who attended the school.  He said that the rules were the rules, but if he got to the point of where they would be disciplinary action, he would work with us to file an appeal.  By telling him ahead of time, he knew it wasn't dd16's causing the attendance/tardy problem so he never said a word to her about it.  We managed to slide under the wire and never had to file an appeal, but it was nice knowing that there would be someone helping us if we got to that point. 

• Like 3

One could schedule appointments in June and December during the traditional Summer and Winter breaks to take care of these needs.

Cases like this are why schools are forced into making draconian rules. Good grief.

Bill

I will utilize the Christmas break time for this years dentist appt. but I think you are wrong that cases such as this is why schools are forced to make such rules. Last year my son missed 2 days other than the excused dentist appt. He was late twice during the year and tardy, added up to one day total even though he was technically at school and the other he was home sick. He had football practice every morning during the summer from 6-12 and this was the first year he didn't get perfect attendance.. He missed 4 days due to strep and the doctor not releasing him for workouts because of the heat. I know that isn't school but it is school related and shows that we don't allow him to miss school or activities that we have made a commitment to willy-nilly.  I personally believe there are plenty of other students that are missing multiple days yearly and their grades are affected which should be the focus here. My son's lowest report card grade was a single B since starting public school and he pulled that up to an A before the end of the year. If his grade is hurt by one day at the dentist, something is gravely wrong. Yet they will make it more difficult on the ones that are great parents/students because they will actually listen and obey even if they disagree with the policy.

• Like 7

Bill

Why the heck not?  The kid is not struggling with school, the dentist is not close by.  It shouldn't be an issue.  There is no reason for the school to say anything - nothing is being compromised except their bureaucratic imbecility and power tripping.

• Like 19

I will utilize the Christmas break time for this years dentist appt. but I think you are wrong that cases such as this is why schools are forced to make such rules. Last year my son missed 2 days other than the excused dentist appt. He was late twice during the year and tardy, added up to one day total even though he was technically at school and the other he was home sick. He had football practice every morning during the summer from 6-12 and this was the first year he didn't get perfect attendance.. He missed 4 days due to strep and the doctor not releasing him for workouts because of the heat. I know that isn't school but it is school related and shows that we don't allow him to miss school or activities that we have made a commitment to willy-nilly.  I personally believe there are plenty of other students that are missing multiple days yearly and their grades are affected which should be the focus here. My son's lowest report card grade was a single B since starting public school and he pulled that up to an A before the end of the year. If his grade is hurt by one day at the dentist, something is gravely wrong. Yet they will make it more difficult on the ones that are great parents/students because they will actually listen and obey even if they disagree with the policy.

You are rationalizing pulling a student out of class for an entire day to get his teeth cleaned. It is exactly these sorts of rationalizations that have forced schools to get tough.

You are in the wrong here.

Bill

I agree that dental cleanings and well-check visits should be done if at all possible when school is not in session. Our school district has quite a few half days or full days off on the calendar between holiday breaks and in-services. However, that doesn't work for orthodontist appointments. I pretty much have to take what I can get and state my preference for morning or afternoon, as everyone prefers the after-school appointments and they usually aren't available in the time frame when DD is supposed to come back in. 

• Like 6

I think the only problem I would have is that grades keep getting mentioned. I don't think rules should be different for one kid or another based upon that child's grades. 

However, maybe there does need to be a look at loosening up the policy to more reasonable guidelines.

• Like 2

And then the dentists would be furious and, honestly, in practice it's unreasonable.  Seriously.  Think about it.  There is usually 2 weeks during winter break.  Several of those days are holidays so the dentist office won't be open.  If everyone with kids in school wanted their kids' check-ups to be within those two weeks, most dentists couldn't actually accommodate such a volume in such a short period of time.  Also, most dentists around here are actually closed most or all of winter break.  They want a vacation, too, especially if their own kids are in school and that's time they can easily spend together.  Then you add in that most dental insurances are rabid about minimum of 6 months between appointments so most dentist offices will schedule a day or two further than the minimum for your next appointment just to be safe and slowly you end up being outside of the winter break point for a check-up - if the dentist is open then at all.

I called about 3 weeks ago to get my little guys' annual check-ups (at the regular doctor) scheduled and the woman making the appointment was so incredibly excited when I said we homeschool and so I didn't need them until after the school year started.  She said it was crazy how many people were calling two weeks before the first day of school wanting those check-ups/sports physicals done before school started.  It makes medical professionals very happy when you can do the appointments during the school year.

And then what about orthodontists?  A large number of kids get braces at some point in their school career.  The ortho my kids go to is open Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, 9-5.  That's it.  High school here is 8:45-4:05.  They cannot fit everyone who attends school into the last 55 minutes they are open.  Middle school is earlier.  They get out at 3:25.  Still not long enough to accommodate every kid with braces.  Kids *will* miss school for the monthly adjustments.

When my kids were in public school I volunteered in the middle school front office.  We had a steady stream of parents bringing forgotten items - lunches, homework, random clothes.  Each class period had two 8th grader office aides.  Their job was mostly to deliver those items.  Kids could be pulled out at any time and the only delay was how long it took them to pack up, leave class, and arrive at the front office.  If a kid had an appointment and had to be pulled mid-day you could write a note that the kid would take to the attendance office before school.  Then they'd get a slip stating when they had to leave class.  They'd have them arrive at the attendance office about 5 minutes before they needed to be picked up.  It worked quite well.  A parents' note was all that was needed to get them back into school and it was excused.

As for lunch money, they preferred that to be done on-line, but the one time my then-6th grader bought lunch he did it with cash in the line.  Another of the duties for the front office aides was to take the envelopes of cash or checks to the lunchroom so they could be applied to account.  They had special envelopes for the parents to fill out and the kid or parent could drop them off in the lunchroom or front office.  Most people did it on-line because it was convenient, but quite a number did it with those envelopes.

• Like 16

Yes the rules are over the top, but easy enough to work around.

As long as you know ahead of time though, I think they are easy enough to work around.

Schedule appointments on school days off or after school. Long holiday weekends, Christmas Break, Spring Break are easy times to do these types of things. Dental cleaning appointments are not an emergency and I don't think a high school student shouldn't be missing school for it anyways.  I would never miss work for an appointment that can be scheduled after work, high school is the same. Find a different dentist that is closer for him if you need to.  

Same for regular medical check ups. Schedule for off days, or use urgent care after hours. If you are sick enough to need to go to the doctor during school hours, then they probably don't need to return anyways.   

Our school has a no cash in line policy too. Parents or students can pay via check to the food service program at the office.  I check my daughters account on line every couple of months, but usually she just tells me when it is low.  If she doesn't tell me, and she goes hungry.....well, that is a natural consequence.  It isn't going to hurt a kid to go hungry for a day (barring a medical condition).  They may not learn as well, but again....natural consequences!

Unless there is a substantial medical condition, then I don't know why a student would need to miss more than 5 days anyways.  I have a daughter with a heal issue so I understand that side of the coin. I do assume there are ways to appeal the decision if there is a medical condition that requires more absences, or an option for home bound instruction.  It may just not be obvious unless you look for the process. 

As far as as the varied schedule.  Yep, I have dealt with that one for years.  No fun, but not a big deal if you think ahead.  You know the schedule so you can print if off and look it up ahead of time to make your drop off/pick up accordingly.  If you know you are going to be 10 minutes off schedule, then ask that he be allowed to wait in the office for you.  If they won't do that, then ask if he can walk off campus, and pick him up walking.  Before I plan something that has to be during school hours, I call the office ahead  of time to ask about assemblies, etc.  I call again about a week ahead to make sure nothing has been added that wasn't forecasted in the master schedule.   The school may add assemblies during the year for special hot topic issues, or a sport assembly if a team is going to state etc.   I don't think of this as any different than scheduling around a work schedule that you have to consider meetings or covering for another employee.  

I pay for a locker for dd, she keeps a change of clothes in her locker in case she has an accident or honestly, more likely for my dd, she gets dress coded and needs to change. ( She has long legs and will wear skirts that normal length on other people, but above the knee on her.  They don't look too short, but they are above the dress code rules). 

I get that the rules are annoying to parents, but honestly they aren't a big deal since you know ahead of time.  Just put effort in to planning ahead and they shouldn't be a problem.  I applaud a school that is trying to teach some accountability to students and families. I think that these rules will make for better employees when they leave the school situation. 

When my kids attended a school with very strict rules on attendance, I went to the dean, explained that we had a special needs daughter at home and told him ahead of time how that will affect my other daughters attendance who attended the school.  He said that the rules were the rules, but if he got to the point of where they would be disciplinary action, he would work with us to file an appeal.  By telling him ahead of time, he knew it wasn't dd16's causing the attendance/tardy problem so he never said a word to her about it.  We managed to slide under the wire and never had to file an appeal, but it was nice knowing that there would be someone helping us if we got to that point. 

While I may not like it or completely agree, this is what I will have to do for my son to attend the school he wants rather than homeschool. I thought the dentist excuse being challenged last year was ridiculous but let it go. I never considered this being a problem under ideal student conditions, ie good grades, minimal absences, etc. I was floored when my friend's daughter couldn't return. Our school did away with lockers and don't offer change of clothing. Pretty much if you have an accident you can leave but not return or chose to stay with the stained clothing. You have to check out beforehand so they know the reason.

Those are insane policies.  Gosh, when I was in high school - when I was in middle school - we didn't have to have a parent check us out.  We didn't have to check out at all, if we wanted to go out, we did.  Kids often went out for lunch, home, or to a friends house.  Kids with a spare might do the same, and come back later.  And the check out thing still doesn't happen here in high school.

The doctors note thing is also just silly.  Doctors here have complained about employers doing this, and a few have even billed employers who insist on sick notes from doctors for things like colds or flu. 

• Like 5

My oldest son attends our local public high school. They have reduced the amount of absences  to 5 per semester without doctor's excuse. Last year we had an issue with the school wanting the doctor's excuse time stamped so they could determine if you had ample time to return to school that same day. I scheduled my son a dentist appointment middle of the day along with the rest of my 6 children. We make one trip to the dentist twice a year for cleaning, once in summer. When he returned with the excuse the next day the school told him that he had time to come to school, leave to go to dentist, and return in same day rather than our keeping him out all day. He explained that the appt was for all of us and he had to wait. They said that wasn't their problem and next time it was going to be an unexcused absence.  Our dentist is an hours drive away. It aggravates me!

Fast forward to this year. They have now made the rule that you cannot check into the school unless you have a doctor's excuse. You are not allowed to check out and back in at all without one. My friend's daughter bled through her shorts so she  checked herself out, drove the 15 min to her house, changed clothing, and returned to school. They refused to allow her to return because she didn't have a written valid excuse. Her mom came, made a scene, and nothing was changed. It is policy, no exceptions, they said. If your car breaks down on the way to school and you are more than 30 min late then you cannot check in to school. Within first 30 min you are marked as tardy which counts as a half day absence. (Keep in mind that you are only allowed 5 absences per semester.) I think the new policy is completely ridiculous. What do you think?

Another policy they started is not allowing your child to be checked out unless it is between class times. Seems simple enough to pick up your kid on the scheduled times but it isn't so simple. Our school is on a  partial block schedule. They alternate days for the blocks, odd classes and even classes on separate days, with the exception of Fridays. Fridays they attend all classes so the timing is different for Fridays. If they have any special things planned the classes get sped up for the day. Many times there is pep rally, special presentation in the gym, etc. I try to leave my son there as long as possible before checking him out but sometimes the timing doesn't match up exactly. I arrived on an off time to pick my son up and had to wait 10 minutes before they released him. I was told it doesn't matter the excuse, whether a family emergency or planned appt, they will not discuss the reasons as this is their policy. 10 min didn't hurt us that day but if I have a family emergency and the school won't allow it, I think I would explode. Ridiculous. It isn't a large school btw so there are not that many students checking out at all times imo. 

Oh and while I am venting.....one last one I promise...New policy about lunches too. I didn't realize my son's lunch account was low until the morning of so I handed him a $20. He came home starving because they no longer allow you to pay for school lunch at lunch time in line. You must  pay online. While I understand   the no negative balance policy, allowing a child to eat without paying, I cannot understand not allowing the child to pay beforehand. When I brought my daughter a large bought salad, from Walmart, I wasn't allowed to give it to her. Why? It wasn't in a lunchbox and was identifiable as to where it came from. It cannot be visible or in a plastic bag, only a lunch bag. I had to go home and return with the same salad in her lunch box. We only live minutes from the school. Oh and I had to wait another hour because the drop off stuff has to fit between classes and I missed it by leaving the school to get the lunch box.

Sometimes I wonder. Does your public school have rules like this?

This is insanity run amok.

I've had one in two different schools, and no, no stupid rules like this.  This is the school exerting parental control over YOUR child.  No freaking way. 

YOU are the parent here.  These rules are ridiculous.  I would have no patience for that kind of nonsense. 

• Like 5

And then the dentists would be furious and, honestly, in practice it's unreasonable.  Seriously.  Think about it.  There is usually 2 weeks during winter break.  Several of those days are holidays so the dentist office won't be open.  If everyone with kids in school wanted their kids' check-ups to be within those two weeks, most dentists couldn't actually accommodate such a volume in such a short period of time.  Also, most dentists around here are actually closed most or all of winter break.  They want a vacation, too, especially if their own kids are in school and that's time they can easily spend together.  Then you add in that most dental insurances are rabid about minimum of 6 months between appointments so most dentist offices will schedule a day or two further than the minimum for your next appointment just to be safe and slowly you end up being outside of the winter break point for a check-up - if the dentist is open then at all.

I called about 3 weeks ago to get my little guys' annual check-ups (at the regular doctor) scheduled and the woman making the appointment was so incredibly excited when I said we homeschool and so I didn't need them until after the school year started.  She said it was crazy how many people were calling two weeks before the first day of school wanting those check-ups/sports physicals done before school started.  It makes medical professionals very happy when you can do the appointments during the school year.

And then what about orthodontists?  A large number of kids get braces at some point in their school career.  The ortho my kids go to is open Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, 9-5.  That's it.  High school here is 8:45-4:05.  They cannot fit everyone who attends school into the last 55 minutes they are open.  Middle school is earlier.  They get out at 3:25.  Still not long enough to accommodate every kid with braces.  Kids *will* miss school for the monthly adjustments.

When my kids were in public school I volunteered in the middle school front office.  We had a steady stream of parents bringing forgotten items - lunches, homework, random clothes.  Each class period had two 8th grader office aides.  Their job was mostly to deliver those items.  Kids could be pulled out at any time and the only delay was how long it took them to pack up, leave class, and arrive at the front office.  If a kid had an appointment and had to be pulled mid-day you could write a note that the kid would take to the attendance office before school.  Then they'd get a slip stating when they had to leave class.  They'd have them arrive at the attendance office about 5 minutes before they needed to be picked up.  It worked quite well.  A parents' note was all that was needed to get them back into school and it was excused.

As for lunch money, they preferred that to be done on-line, but the one time my then-6th grader bought lunch he did it with cash in the line.  Another of the duties for the front office aides was to take the envelopes of cash or checks to the lunchroom so they could be applied to account.  They had special envelopes for the parents to fill out and the kid or parent could drop them off in the lunchroom or front office.  Most people did it on-line because it was convenient, but quite a number did it with those envelopes.

There are roughly 180 days of school during a year, so roughly 180 days in the year when there is no school. And there are after school hours. Work it out.

Routine dental cleanings are not a valid reason to miss an entire day of school.

Bill

I agree that dental cleanings and well-check visits should be done if at all possible when school is not in session. Our school district has quite a few half days or full days off on the calendar between holiday breaks and in-services. However, that doesn't work for orthodontist appointments. I pretty much have to take what I can get and state my preference for morning or afternoon, as everyone prefers the after-school appointments and they usually aren't available in the time frame when DD is supposed to come back in. 

They do not here.  The days off are federal holidays and then a week at Thanksgiving, two weeks at Christmas, a week in March, and, of course, Fiesta because the city of San Antonio shuts down for a parade.  There are a few half days, but just a couple times a year for P/T conferences.  Where we lived in MD they had tons of days off for random reasons.  It's just different here.

• Like 1

I think the only problem I would have is that grades keep getting mentioned. I don't think rules should be different for one kid or another based upon that child's grades. 

However, maybe there does need to be a look at loosening up the policy to more reasonable guidelines.

I understand what you are saying. My point about grades is that one day absence will not affect an A student as much as a student that struggles more with classes. Maybe I am wrong. I don't mean to offend.

• Like 1

While I may not like it or completely agree, this is what I will have to do for my son to attend the school he wants rather than homeschool. I thought the dentist excuse being challenged last year was ridiculous but let it go. I never considered this being a problem under ideal student conditions, ie good grades, minimal absences, etc. I was floored when my friend's daughter couldn't return. Our school did away with lockers and don't offer change of clothing. Pretty much if you have an accident you can leave but not return or chose to stay with the stained clothing. You have to check out beforehand so they know the reason.

Then keep a pair of thin sweat pants in their back pack.  Just like you would do at work, if you knew it was a possible problem and needed a solution. 

I had very irregular cycles, so I get it.I would have had to carry a change every day, just in case.  But carrying a pair in the backpack  is a simple solution that doesn't require the kid to go home.  

They do not here.  The days off are federal holidays and then a week at Thanksgiving, two weeks at Christmas, a week in March, and, of course, Fiesta because the city of San Antonio shuts down for a parade.  There are a few half days, but just a couple times a year for P/T conferences.  Where we lived in MD they had tons of days off for random reasons.  It's just different here.

That is still a month worth of dates you can choose from!

There are roughly 180 days of school during a year, so roughly 180 days in the year when there is no school. And there are after school hours. Work it out.

Routine dental cleanings are not a valid reason to miss an entire day of school.

Bill

For most people, no, but it is valid to miss a couple hours.  If you are talking driving an hour away for the appointment and several people are being checked, it possibly is reasonable to miss a day of school.  We had insurance once where the closest pediatric dentist was an hour away.  We had absolutely no choice but to go there as awful as they were.  My boys were homeschooled so they weren't missing school, but I can see situations where it's not so easy.  Also, most dentists around here close at 5pm (last appointment at 4:45).  High school ends at 4:05pm.  Pretty hard to get them in in that tiny window of time, especially since it's minimum 15 minutes to get out of the high school parking lot after school ends.  Most of those days when there is no school are Saturdays and Sundays.  Not a lot of dentists are open on those days.  Almost all the no school days in our district are federal holidays.  Many dentists close on those days as well.  It's not as easy as you are making it sound.  Work it out.

• Like 11

Our schools do 192 days per year.

There are 260 weekdays in a year.  Most people get paid leave time at their full time jobs, or at the very least, unpaid leave time without a problem unless it's excessive.

Schoolchildren have a full time job, work overtime (homework, school-based activities), and are expected to take care of all of their needs during the offtime?

No, sorry.  If we expect schools to run like businesses, we need to treat the workers better.

• Like 18

Bill

This is the part that varies. There are NO afterschool hours in many places. Spycar, you live somewhere where you are blessed with such a thing. You probably also have weekend hours. Some don't. But, yes, I agree with hitting up on things in the summer. Orthodontists though, that is a difficult one for some as mentioned by a poster above.

• Like 5

I understand what you are saying. My point about grades is that one day absence will not affect an A student as much as a student that struggles more with classes. Maybe I am wrong. I don't mean to offend.

I'm not offended :) No, it won't. However, from the school's point, they have to be consistent with all students as far as rules go. That's why they may need to relook at the rule altogether.

Bill

Even if this one situation of dental cleaning was non-emergent and could be otherwise scheduled, it does not follow that the rest of the nonsense is acceptable.  What is that garbage about one flat tire, and you have automatically missed half a day, and not being able to check yourself in as a high schooler, and not being able eat a meal unless mom takes it from the bag and places it in the appropriate container first? 

And kids DO get sick.  If we would let them stay home and recover, then maybe they wouldn't hack their way through all their classes, ensuring dozens of others will get sick,  in order not to miss more than 5 days.

Most kids won't miss any, or maybe one day.  I have one that never missed an entire day all the way through, though there were a couple of common sense incidents that required missing a class or two (once, lunch person threw away her brand new retainers, requiring two more appointments).    But any real illness requires longer than that. 

The whole thing is stupid.  Judge the situation case by case.  Have guidelines for parents, not prison-level rules under threat.   

• Like 12

That is still a month worth of dates you can choose from!

No, actually, it is not.  Thanksgiving break includes Thanksgiving.  Most dentists close that day and often the following day.  That leaves 3 days that week.  Winter break, IF the dentist office is open at all, you've got a minimum of Christmas and New Year's where they will definitely be closed.  Often they will be closed Christmas Eve as well.  So IF they are open, that leaves 7 days at the most.  You can use all 5 days of spring break.  Fiesta, well, no one does anything during that parade.  It's a major thing here.  So you've actually only got 8-15 days.  For every kid in school.  It's not feasible, especially since if you do the end of November (Thanksgiving break), then 6 months later is end of May and school is still in session then.  There's a similar issue with Spring Break (2nd week of March usually) because 6 months later is September.  It's seriously not as easy as "just make both of the 6 month check-ups on a day off from school!"

• Like 7

This is the part that varies. There are NO afterschool hours in many places. Spycar, you live somewhere where you are blessed with such a thing. You probably also have weekend hours. Some don't. But, yes, I agree with hitting up on things in the summer. Orthodontists though, that is a difficult one for some as mentioned by a poster above.

True.  Orthodontists are the worst.  You can see ours on three days a week, before 3 p.m.  There are a few coveted 7:30 am slots that parents have to fight for, and even then, the kids are too late to most schools (mine happened to have a school that began at 9 a.m., much more logically for teens, so it worked). 

• Like 1

Then keep a pair of thin sweat pants in their back pack.  Just like you would do at work, if you knew it was a possible problem and needed a solution. 

I had very irregular cycles, so I get it.I would have had to carry a change every day, just in case.  But carrying a pair in the backpack  is a simple solution that doesn't require the kid to go home.  

Maybe it isn't usually a problem.  These things can happen, someone has a leak, someone drops something, whatever.  Going home for a quick change just shouldn't be an issue - if a student can do it in 10 min, why not let them come back to school?  It serves nothing and no one. 

So you are saying - here is a solution to an artificially created problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. (And there aren't many jobs that don't give people a place to keep a change of clothes.  In cases where it is an issue it is usually because it actually is not possible - road work or something similar.)

It's a bunch of foolish decisions that have repercussions that are even more silly.  And for no real purpose.

• Like 8

The dentist needs to plan for that.  Every dentist I have ever seen saves the school holidays for kids appointments and tries to schedule adults during the day, unless they need a later appointment.  If they aren't trying to work within the availability of students, then the dentist doesn't really want your student's business. A cleaning doesn't have to magically be done at 6months, just some time after that.  When I schedule my kids dentist appointments, I just look at the school schedule and make it on one of the days he/she is available, isn't a big deal.

Missing school, is like missing work.  It is a big deal.  It reduces learning and that is why the kids are there in the first place.  I don't understand why it seems less important than a dental cleaning. 

My daughter did have braces.  We scheduled after school, before school and on lunch.  She was in braces for a couple extra months because of finding available appointments, but it wan't a big deal.  She did miss school on the day she got them removed because the ortho surprised her and said she could get them off a month early.  The ortho requires a day time appointment to have enough time to get them off.  I scheduled it as late as possible in the day and she went home afterwards.   But that is a once in a lifetime appointment, so I dont think it will a reoccurring problem. LOL

• Like 1

Then keep a pair of thin sweat pants in their back pack.

Ready for the crazy part?  Backpacks are not allowed in the classrooms at the middle school here!  Only 6th graders get lockers.  The 7th and 8th graders can have lockers if the parents request them, but there are not nearly enough lockers for all the kids and they are half-size lockers so no sharing.  Backpacks aren't allowed in the classrooms, so there is literally nowhere for kids to store extra clothes.  They can get away with no lockers or backpacks here because the kids don't need to carry around books.  Textbooks get checked out to the students and then they stay at home through the school year.  If textbooks are needed in class, every classroom has a classroom set to use.

• Like 5

Ready for the crazy part?  Backpacks are not allowed in the classrooms at the middle school here!  Only 6th graders get lockers.  The 7th and 8th graders can have lockers if the parents request them, but there are not nearly enough lockers for all the kids and they are half-size lockers so no sharing.  Backpacks aren't allowed in the classrooms, so there is literally nowhere for kids to store extra clothes.  They can get away with no lockers or backpacks here because the kids don't need to carry around books.  Textbooks get checked out to the students and then they stay at home through the school year.  If textbooks are needed in class, every classroom has a classroom set to use.

What is with this kind of insanity?

• Like 3

I'm not getting the issue with having lunch in a "store identifiable" container or a bag instead of a fancy bought bag.

I don't get that either.  When I volunteered in the middle school main office we had things dropped off in fancy lunchboxes/bags, Target plastic bags, reusable shopping bags, and in the container from wherever it was bought (which amusingly was most often Whataburger).  We didn't care.  We slapped a tag on it, looked up where the kid was during that period, and sent it to the classroom with the aide.

• Like 1

Maybe it isn't usually a problem.  These things can happen, someone has a leak, someone drops something, whatever.  Going home for a quick change just shouldn't be an issue - if a student can do it in 10 min, why not let them come back to school?  It serves nothing and no one. 

So you are saying - here is a solution to an artificially created problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. (And there aren't many jobs that don't give people a place to keep a change of clothes.  In cases where it is an issue it is usually because it actually is not possible - road work or something similar.)

It's a bunch of foolish decisions that have repercussions that are even more silly.  And for no real purpose.

So true.

My tolerance level for bureaucratic, nonsensical BS is extremely low. 

• Like 7

Wow.  What a bunch of ridiculous rules!  Dd attends high school part time and they don't have such silly rules.  If a child is gone a certain number of days due to illness, they may require a doctors' note.  The total excuses absences is much more generous - I think 12 - as long as they make up the work.  Many kids are competitive athletes who have to miss school to travel to competitions.  They don't have any trouble as long as they follow their teachers' make up policies.