Menu

Vent...is this common..PS related

kahlanne

My oldest son attends our local public high school. They have reduced the amount of absences  to 5 per semester without doctor's excuse. Last year we had an issue with the school wanting the doctor's excuse time stamped so they could determine if you had ample time to return to school that same day. I scheduled my son a dentist appointment middle of the day along with the rest of my 6 children. We make one trip to the dentist twice a year for cleaning, once in summer. When he returned with the excuse the next day the school told him that he had time to come to school, leave to go to dentist, and return in same day rather than our keeping him out all day. He explained that the appt was for all of us and he had to wait. They said that wasn't their problem and next time it was going to be an unexcused absence.  Our dentist is an hours drive away. It aggravates me!

Fast forward to this year. They have now made the rule that you cannot check into the school unless you have a doctor's excuse. You are not allowed to check out and back in at all without one. My friend's daughter bled through her shorts so she  checked herself out, drove the 15 min to her house, changed clothing, and returned to school. They refused to allow her to return because she didn't have a written valid excuse. Her mom came, made a scene, and nothing was changed. It is policy, no exceptions, they said. If your car breaks down on the way to school and you are more than 30 min late then you cannot check in to school. Within first 30 min you are marked as tardy which counts as a half day absence. (Keep in mind that you are only allowed 5 absences per semester.) I think the new policy is completely ridiculous. What do you think?

Another policy they started is not allowing your child to be checked out unless it is between class times. Seems simple enough to pick up your kid on the scheduled times but it isn't so simple. Our school is on a  partial block schedule. They alternate days for the blocks, odd classes and even classes on separate days, with the exception of Fridays. Fridays they attend all classes so the timing is different for Fridays. If they have any special things planned the classes get sped up for the day. Many times there is pep rally, special presentation in the gym, etc. I try to leave my son there as long as possible before checking him out but sometimes the timing doesn't match up exactly. I arrived on an off time to pick my son up and had to wait 10 minutes before they released him. I was told it doesn't matter the excuse, whether a family emergency or planned appt, they will not discuss the reasons as this is their policy. 10 min didn't hurt us that day but if I have a family emergency and the school won't allow it, I think I would explode. Ridiculous. It isn't a large school btw so there are not that many students checking out at all times imo. 

Oh and while I am venting.....one last one I promise...New policy about lunches too. I didn't realize my son's lunch account was low until the morning of so I handed him a $20. He came home starving because they no longer allow you to pay for school lunch at lunch time in line. You must  pay online. While I understand   the no negative balance policy, allowing a child to eat without paying, I cannot understand not allowing the child to pay beforehand. When I brought my daughter a large bought salad, from Walmart, I wasn't allowed to give it to her. Why? It wasn't in a lunchbox and was identifiable as to where it came from. It cannot be visible or in a plastic bag, only a lunch bag. I had to go home and return with the same salad in her lunch box. We only live minutes from the school. Oh and I had to wait another hour because the drop off stuff has to fit between classes and I missed it by leaving the school to get the lunch box.

Sometimes I wonder. Does your public school have rules like this?

I have a child in a public high school.  What you describe is insane.  It wouldn't fly here.  While the number of absences is a little low for my taste (and we chose the school with the most flexible policy) we've never had an issue with him checking out and back in.

Lunch, yes, must be done online.  My kid won't eat school lunch so it's a moot point here.  I haven't even signed him up for an account.

Those types of policies would get me making a stink on a regular basis. Allowing a child to go hungry is unacceptable. If theschool doesnt want a negative balance then they need to call the parent and make sure they bring the kid food. And to not allow being picked up because of an emergency at anytime is stupid. In your case, I would make sure your children had their phones on them at all times so I could get ahold of them and tell them to just walk out of class if I needed them right then and there.

• Like 5

Can't pay cash for food. The parent have to top up online. There is a computer in the admin office which parents could use to top up their kids lunch account. Kids in high school could walk out of school for lunch though and some walk to fast food or starbucks if there is one nearby.

Doctors, opticians and dentist appointments should preferrably be affecting the first or last class but it is just a suggestion and not a rule.

Other than that the local public schools just want to reduce truancy if possible.

I could not live with those policies. 

The lunch account is allowed to be at negative $20 before the no balance lunch is served to the kids. You can't pay at the lunch line though, it must be dropped off at the office or done online.

I can pick up/drop off my kid anytime I need to.

My kids are in middle school but all the schools run the same way.

• Like 1

Wow. That is way over the top. Regarding absences, the only thing that bothers me about my daughter's school is that even with a note sent beforehand, a teacher can choose to ignore it if she is giving a test or quiz. I sent a note for my daughter to be picked up at a specific time so as to allow her to stay in school for as long as possible before we had to leave to a doctor's appointment. The teacher did not let my daughter leave at the beginning of class because she was planning on giving the students a pop quiz at the end of the lesson. I had to wait for over 30 minutes before she was dismissed, and we were late to the appointment.

There are no lunch rules at the high school. The middle school just implemented a rule that prohibits parents from dropping off fast food at the front office. They must now check in and deliver it to the students themselves, and the students are no longer allowed to share lunches. Apparently some parents were bringing pizzas and other fast food for their children as well as their friends.

Thankfully we have sane policies here and a very common sense kind of principal. I would be addressing the principal and then the school board if that didn't work. Around here schools get paid by number of bodies in seats. They would never prevent kids from attending if they were late--that's another body in a seat. What's the penalty for unexcused absences? I might be tempted to just rack up unexcused absences if there isn't a penalty other than the label.

• Like 1

I would be throwing one large stinking fit and then withdraw my children. That is just ridiculous, who are they to say when and where a doctor's appointment is at? Besides what if the doctor iS running late and said appointment is pushed back??? Ugh ok now I'm upset for you. The lunch thing is just stupid, what about those who don't have the option to pay online??? Do those kids starve???

Why do schools now think they can put all these rules in place?

• Like 11

That is a lot of picky rules--definitely over the top. Is there a huge truancy problem at this school?

Do they know that if you are late to an appointment, some doctors and dentists will cancel it and make you pay for it anyway? Or is that not done in your area?

I wonder if it helps to word a note to the effect that you will pick him up at 11, or if that's during a class, before that class starts?

. What's the penalty for unexcused absences? I might be tempted to just rack up unexcused absences if there isn't a penalty other than the label.

Most schools will fail a high-schooler who misses too many classes, even with good grades.

It's stuff like THIS that rallies the parents to participate in local elections and get the school board replaced. I'd start with a petition. Sometimes job security is the only thing that motivates people. A large group of disgruntled parents at the next (usually sparsely attended) meeting could also help. Remind them that they are public servants and can be replaced. If you don't want to do the legwork, you can contact the folks who will be running against the current board and they would probably be happy to carry that torch.

• Like 11

Those types of policies would get me making a stink on a regular basis. Allowing a child to go hungry is unacceptable. If theschool doesnt want a negative balance then they need to call the parent and make sure they bring the kid food. And to not allow being picked up because of an emergency at anytime is stupid. In your case, I would make sure your children had their phones on them at all times so I could get ahold of them and tell them to just walk out of class if I needed them right then and there.

They don't allow phones. I actually tell my son to disobey this rule as he stays so late for football and the finish time varies. I have complained about that rule because of this but they said that few on the team don't drive themselves and have to deal with it. It is best for the school to have no phone policy. While I understand phones are an issue in school, I refuse to let my child not have a way to contact me from 2:30-6:00 when practice ends. The first week of school the practice went to 8:00 and my son texted me to let me know because the day's practice schedule isn't posted until the morning of on the football locker room board. Oh and I was told that anyone that drives can leave their phone in their cars for the end of the day. My son doesn't drive yet because of his age.

Also, to answer the original question, my daughter's public high school does NOT have such strict policies. Parent notes are good enough for appts and absences. I can pick up any time or drop anything off for her. Now, I wouldn't even try leaving smelly foods in the office because I think that's rude and not the office workers job to deal with pizzas and bags of McDonalds, but leaving a salad on a table with your daughter's name shouldn't be a big deal.

I didn't mind the rules. I even thought the dress code rules were fine. (The current trend is to believe any dress code at all is oppressive to women.) However, the rules at our local high school find not interfere with my ability to parent or schedule family appts. I DID once drive my daughter around the block and return her because that was easier than doing all the paperwork required to keep midol at school, but I only had to sign my name to check her out and she could sign herself back in.

Thankfully we have sane policies here and a very common sense kind of principal. I would be addressing the principal and then the school board if that didn't work. Around here schools get paid by number of bodies in seats. They would never prevent kids from attending if they were late--that's another body in a seat. What's the penalty for unexcused absences? I might be tempted to just rack up unexcused absences if there isn't a penalty other than the label.

Penalty is failure and have to repeat the grade. I don't know anybody who actually had to repeat the grade so it could be a threat and not something they would do but who knows. I also don't know anyone that missed that many days either. My son doesn't miss unless really sick mostly because he loves football. He knows he isn't allowed to practice/play that day if he isn't at school. Our rule and I think they school's new rule as well. One of the few I understand.

My kids are in *elementary* school and are not micromanaged (Or confined! Or starved!) like that. It's completely absurd.

I can't even think of plausible valid-but-stupid motives for some of those policies... And I'm really, really good at thinking of plausible motives for stupid actions.

• Like 4

Honestly the one that angered me most is the no check-in rule.  Really can they not use common sense? They claim it is because too many students, driving age, would leave at lunch to eat fast food and check back in afterwards. They did say that usually it was before their lunch shift was over  and not cutting classes. I don't see a problem there either. Sorry. Even so, if you can't leave to change clothes because of an accident and return within 15 min, really, just really.... :cursing: 

No we really don't have a big truancy issue here. If anything they want to be overly strict about everything before it happens. We have uniforms and they do a uniform check each morning. They check everything from belt, logos, non-hoody jackets, haircolor and length of boy's hair, etc.

My dc have been in ps, and while they didn't have the exact same ridiculous rules, they had others like what you describe. The schools seem to have lost all common sense and rather than deal with a specific problem, they make these sweeping, ridiculous rules that end up punishing everyone.

• Like 3

My dd's ps does not have such policies, but it is in a farm community and people have a huge say in how the school is run.

My bff from high school sent her children to such a school in the Seattle area a few years ago. The power trip that high school was on was genuinely frightening. They also had the whole, must have a doctor's excuse to reenter the the building, like what happens in your school and they also did not always except all doctor's notes. If the school nurse did not think you really had a problem, IN SPITE OF THE DOCTOR'S NOTE, your child was unexcused. My bff actually had to go to court over stuff that would be routine in most schools. Her dd has very bad migraine headaches and the school refused to accept the doctor's notes for them. 

What's the penalty for unexcused absences? I might be tempted to just rack up unexcused absences if there isn't a penalty other than the label.

In many places, truancy court or a visit from social services for truancy/delinquency.

• Like 1

If I wanted something done about all of it I would go to the next school board meeting and outline these concerns during public comment and then send a copy of my "speech" to the newspaper and maybe post to local news stations' FB or twitter.

• Like 2

I do think there are people with no common sense- and I'd go higher than the school itself if they can't be reasonable. 

My dd's high school had a no test make-up policy.  as in - if you miss the final, too bad, so sad. ('cause there are kids who'd skip so they could take it later.)  she had a temp of 102, and was freaking out.  she would have gone to school if I hadn't stopped her.  they let her make-up the test, no hassle, no dr's note.  

I do know people who think nothing of pulling their kids out to go skiing or shopping.  yes, they skipped when they were in school, and didn't think it was a big deal. It does generate a cavalier attitude towards education - not to mention as future employees.   I think these policies are aimed at them. but everyone get's caught and has their lives made more difficult.

No, nothing like that. If a kid needs to be dismissed or is out sick, just a phone call is fine, no note needed. They actually remind you not to come in for your kid for dismissals, they want the kid to sign themselves in or out. No restrictions as to time for drop-off/pick-up or how long you can be gone. Don't have to even estimate in advance.

Our lunch balances can go to -$10 before dire consequences ensue.

I could not live with the restrictions you have. I probably would have found some way to continue homeschooling. That is NUTS.

• Like 1

Regarding absences, our high school is not like that at all. I never had to give a doctor's note. Not once. And for kids who wanted to blow off school for the rest of they day -- ahem, take a wellness day -- the secret code used by school nurses when they called parents was, "I have never seen such a red throat. He needs to go home. Is it okay if he starts walking/biking/driving or would you like to pick him up in front of the school?"

We did have to keep pay for lunches online, though, but kids could also go eat at the different snack shops on campus or grab something off campus. Sometimes at lunch my son would go grab a sub or whatever and go to the beach and eat it there with friends.

Our high school gives students a lot of freedom if students demonstrate they can be responsible with their freedom. They can study anywhere in the school if they're above a minimum GPA, keep their noses clean and don't disturb other classes. No metal detectors, either. What they do works very well for a high school that has several thousand kids.

Schools here are going to similar rules like those, although not quite as bad in some ways.  Maybe worse in others, though.  

• Even if your child has a very large project to carry in, you are not allowed, under any circumstance, to get out of your car and help them carry it. 
  • Drop off is a drive through and no parent is allowed to stop and come inside the school at drop off time unless they work at the school.  This includes dropping off medical excuses or talking to administration or even to use the bathroom. 
  • You must purchase your child's uniform through the school (no Wal-Mart or Target purchases for shirt and pants/skirt) at a much higher cost than if you were able to buy them through other sources.  This is a public school, mind you.  Only two shirts and two pairs of pants/skirts can be purchased at the beginning of the year.
  • There are two different colors of shirt used M-Th plus the mascot shirt on Friday.  Days are assigned and policy is strictly enforced.  Ex: You can only wear the blue shirt on Monday and Wednesday.  If you wear the red shirt instead of the blue shirt on Monday or Wednesday you will be put in detention for the day, even if you have a test.
  • Teachers, instead of preparing their class, have to rotate through being the "police" of the school dress code.  They are responsible for catching violators and sending them to detention as they arrive at the school.  Any teacher caught allowing a student to go to class that has violated the dress code will be sanctioned.
  • Even if you have a doctor's excuse, and you keep up with ALL of your school work, if your absence goes over 3 weeks in a row your parent has to appear in court to defend your child's "truancy".  (This was a big issue with a local single parent who's son was injured badly during a school football game.  He was laid up for over a month at home but she took the time to drive to and from the school every day on her way to and from work to bring him his school stuff and drop off completed work.  A teacher would come out to administer tests.  He was keeping up with his grades.  They still had to appear in court even though there was ample medical documentation and he was injured during a school sponsored sporting event.)
  • You must have a doctor's notice for all absences (this is new, used to it was after 2 days) for them to be excused.  No exceptions.  5 unexcused absences in a school year means detention and possibly a truancy charge and appearing in court.  Your child may be held back even if their grades are all A's.
  • Even if a child is obviously sick, they encourage you to send them unless they are throwing up or running fever.  

We don't have policies like that here.  No doctor's note unless it is an extended absence due to illness.  Many parents take their kids out for a week for family vacations and all they really have to do is inform the school.  It is up to the student to make up the work.  I am sure though that there are parents and students that abuse the policies that are in place.

Absolutely and completely ridiculous. It sounds like you and other parents need to meet and go before the school board. 

I have to remind myself that I am NOT that freaking old. I remember being allowed to check out and run home on days I was sick (once a month, severe dysmennorhea and I was only required to call my mother to inform her before I left so the school secretary knew that my mother was informed of my leaving), never had to have a doctor's note (the school secretary had a daughter with the same issue), and even without checking out the morning I forgot my bra (I was tiny and had a bulky sweater; it was an easy miss for me).

• Like 2

This has become more common in my area.  I think it is part of a very destructive larger trend of the public school taking more and more control away from the parent, and should be challenged.  They will keep doing it until they are challenged on it.  Get some parents together and push back.

If I went to get my kid, and they would not relinquish my kid to me as soon as I asked for him, there would be hell to pay.

• Like 11

This has become more common in my area.  I think it is part of a very destructive larger trend of the public school taking more and more control away from the parent, and should be challenged.  They will keep doing it until they are challenged on it.  Get some parents together and push back.

If I went to get my kid, and they would not relinquish my kid to me as soon as I asked for him, there would be hell to pay.

Since becoming a PS parent after several years of homeschooling, there have been various policies and issues with school that have annoyed me. A lot of it I've just reluctantly accepted and let go, and I've pushed back on a few things. This policy would absolutely make my "hill to die on" list, and if necessary I would pull my kid from the school.

• Like 4

Similar rules are in our school district. But, bottom line, he is your son. The school does not own him. Do what you want. Just be ready to add another kiddo to your homeschool list.

Yeah if it wasn't for football, he would be homeschooled. The state law allows homeschoolers to participate in sports through the local school if the principal doesn't object. Back when my husband coached soccer for the middle school, he asked the principal to allow a local homeschooler to join the team as we needed more players. The middle school principal didn't see a problem with it but wanted to check with high school principal first. She shot it down. She said too many homeschoolers don't do their work. She even went so far as to say that she called the parent to speak to them on the issue and they were hiking during school hours. She said this proved that homeschoolers are lax in their teaching and therefore should not be allowed. She didn't want to give more people a reason to homeschool so denied our request which was supported by the middle school principal. She is the same principal we have now.

• Like 1

Yeah if it wasn't for football, he would be homeschooled. The state law allows homeschoolers to participate in sports through the local school if the principal doesn't object. Back when my husband coached soccer for the middle school, he asked the principal to allow a local homeschooler to join the team as we needed more players. The middle school principal didn't see a problem with it but wanted to check with high school principal first. She shot it down. She said too many homeschoolers don't do their work. She even went so far as to say that she called the parent to speak to them on the issue and they were hiking during school hours. She said this proved that homeschoolers are lax in their teaching and therefore should not be allowed. She didn't want to give more people a reason to homeschool so denied our request which was supported by the middle school principal. She is the same principal we have now.

Oh, because it's absolutely impossible to school during other hours of the day, the weekend, during the hike (we used to always do school at the park during good weather), or for a hike to be PART of their education. Sheesh! One year of the highschool I went to, the biology class went hiking and discovered an algae that had not been identified before. The teacher eventually became a Professor of Marine Microbiology at the University of Florida. I had the blessing of being a copy-editor for a book of hers and a friend took over the illustrations.

• Like 5

I'd say that you just have to accept certain rules if you attend public school, but those are over the top ridiculous. Rules are great, but there needs to be room for common sense. I'd start getting other parents involved, complain to the school board, go to the media, whatever.

Of those rules, the only one that might make any sense is the no cash at the lunch line rule, because they may not be set up to handle it, give change, etc. but in that case, they should be offering something, whether that's a less expensive lunch option for no balance students, or a negative balance grace period, or a way for students to add funds at school, or something. Denying a child a lunch when the child obviously has the cash available is ridiculous.

• Like 6

We have some similar rules.

No check back in is for the ability to know where students are in real time and is to prevent the dopeheads from returning. There are many costly legal ramifications if they are on school property high, or out transacting in the parking lot and its less costly to close the campus.

Nurse handles clothing changes if student hasnt a spare outfit in the locker. If student does, nurse handles pass.

Classes are not to be disrupted unless emergency. Departing for the day is not an emergency, Students excused from class for ecs pre-arrange and depart without interruption, as do studemts with appointments.

Parent delivered lunches are held until 3 minutes before the bell, when class will be interrupted. Usually people prearrange with child...kid, if you find you dont have your lunch, swing by the front desk on the way to the cafeteria and see if mom delivered. If not, your choice of free lunch, lunch credit, or begging.

No cash for lunch line. Student gets one Iunch credit to use on his account. After that he ges donated lunch, which is a sandwich plus apple.

State law is 12 or less unexcused absences per semester if credit is desired. School follow state law.In your situation, I would not pull children out of school all day for dentist if I could schedule on a non school day or afterschool. We have plenty of nonschool days, but if we did not, we would break the group up and get it done after school in batches.

We have similar rules too.

In my state (NJ), the only excused absences are for religious holidays and take your kids to work day. Other absences are unexcused. But there are two categories of unexcused, those that count towards truancy and those that do not. Those that do not count are common sense -- illness, off-site school activities, court appearance, family death, And also other events, provided you get permission from school principal. That is state law. The maximum number of absences is 18 per year, but the school must have some leeway, because I know that kids who are truly ill for extended periods do not get kicked out or have to repeat grades.

In my experience, our school tries to be extremely understanding about absences that are truly necessary, like illnesses. Also, doctors are understanding. They have asked me how many days I want a note for, understanding that days before and after an illness or hospital stay can be difficult. I have also had doctors write notes that asked for consideration for lateness if a kid was having a longer than expected recovery. Ime, schools appreciate these notes, because then they have a basis for reducing homework load or whatever is needed.

So, if I were op, I would want to find out what my state's laws for attendance were. The school rules may be based on that. I would make an appointment with a guidance counsellor and find out what you can or cannot do. In some cases, there may be more flexibility than you think, as long as you provide some documentation. In other cases, less flexibility. A school attendance can have truly understanding people or battle hardened martinets. If the latter, you have to figure a way to go around them, lol.

I would not start an individual protest at the school board level,mas some have suggested. Find out who is in the parent groups. They could help you find a work around. Or, if there is a serious problem affecting many families, you could be part of a group discussion/protest.

As Heigh Ho says, checking into/out of school is restricted. Kids cannot check themselves out. My understanding is that there are liability issues. And kids cannot check themselves in without a parent, security issues. If I need to take a kid out of school, I call first to double check bell schedule and I get a time. It can be a bit earlier than what I need, but the school tries not to disrupt a class. I would not expect to take an entire day for a dentist appointment.

As for the lunch, we have similar rules. No cash, it holds up the line, etc. But students are allowed to run a negative balance for a day or two. You can pay into the account online or by check. My ds tells me if he is running low.

Schools discourage people dropping off lunches. A district in my area had so many lunch drop offs that roads and fire lanes were blocked for a considerable time each day. The police were concerned about access for emergency vehicles. The school banned drop off lunches. Then there was a big protest, especially from the catering companies that got a significant part of their business from school lunches. The weird part to me was that the school used the same provider that our schools do, and the lunches are good!

The thing about the op post that I find very surprising is the lateness policy. In all the schools I know, the schools want to maximize attendance. By NJ state law, attendance of at least four hours a day counts as a full day for school reporting purposes. So schools here would never turn away a late student. The students would get marked absent from classes they were late for, but not for the school day. A large number of latenesses, however, would count as an absent day, eventually.

• Like 1

We have similar rules too.

In my state (NJ), the only excused absences are for religious holidays and take your kids to work day. Other absences are unexcused. But there are two categories of unexcused, those that count towards truancy and those that do not. Those that do not count are common sense -- illness, off-site school activities, court appearance, family death, And also other events, provided you get permission from school principal. That is state law. The maximum number of absences is 18 per year, but the school must have some leeway, because I know that kids who are truly ill for extended periods do not get kicked out or have to repeat grades. In my experience, our school tries to be extremely understanding about absences that are truly necessary, like illnesses.

So, if I were op, I would want to find out what my state's laws for attendance were. The school rules may be based on that.

As Heigh Ho says, checking into/out of school is restricted. Kids cannot check themselves out. My understanding is that here are liability issues. And kids cannot check themselves in without a parent, security issues. If I need to take a kid out of school, I call first to double check bell schedule and I get a time. It can be a bit earlier than what I need, but the school tries not to disrupt a class. I would not expect to take an entire day for a dentist appointment.

As for the lunch, we have similar rules. No cash, it holds up the line, etc. But students are allowed to run a negative balance for a day or two. You can pay into the account online or by check. My ds tells me if he is running low.

Schools discourage people dropping off lunches. A district in my area had so many lunch drop offs that roads and fire lanes were blocked for a considerable time each day. The police were concerned about access for emergency vehicles. The school banned drop off lunches. Then there was a big protest, especially from the catering companies that got a significant part of their business from school lunches. The weird part to me was that the school used the same provider that our schools do, and the lunches are good!

The thing about the op post that I find very surprising is the lateness policy. In all the schools I know, the schools want to maximize attendance. By state law, attendance of at least four hours a day counts as a full day for school reporting purposes. So schools here would never turn away a late student. The students would get marked absent from classes they were late for, but not for the school day. A large number of latenesses, however, would count as an absent day, eventually.

I wanted to clarify something. While I understand not taking a day for dentist appt, I think the school is overstepping if I chose to do so when my student doesn't usually miss even the 5 days per year and is a straight A student.  Our school starts at 7:00 and ends at 2:30. Our dentist opens at 9:00 and handles emergencies first. It closes at 4:00.  My son has football from 2:30-6:00 daily unless there is a game and then they stay until after the game.  At best I could get a 10:00 scheduled appt which means leaving at a little before 9:00 to make it to dentist.  He would get one full class in on block days. If I only took him to the dentist and it took an hour, he would not be able to get back to the school until 12:00 if we skipped lunch. On block days he would only be able to make max 2 classes but possibly only 1 afternoon class if timing fell between classes. Can't check in with doctor's excuse until next class. This is why I choose one day per school year to take all my family for their cleanings so it is over and done with on one day. My son hasn't been to the doctor in two years other than physical which we do in summer months. Even so I still say if a doctor gives an excuse you are overstepping if you must know time and regulate whether I have been able to make it back by then. JMO.

• Like 2