Menu

Teaching literature with dyslexics--for Texasmama

You said in the planning thread you wanted to talk about this, so I was bringing it over.   :)

-audiobooks--I assume you've already encouraged this.  My ds needs to listen to a book *multiple* times to retain anything.  It goes back to his poor CELF5 scores I think and the idea that his comprehension at the sentence level is extremely poor.  Paragraph level, not so bad, but sentence level is horrible.

-graphic organizers--I forget what age this is for, but you can't go wrong with graphic organizers.  Supporting Dyslexia has a separate product you buy with reading comprehension guides for main stories in the Barton levels.  They take a lot of time to do the basics you'd expect (set the stage by thinking about the concepts, talk about vocabulary, visualize, use graphic organizers, etc.).  I have this sort of nervous "wow, is my ds going to get to where he can do that?" reaction, so I'm taking my time.  In other words, it's back to that rereading thing, that they may need to re-ear-read those books or the chapters again, even three or four or five times, to get to where they're READY to do this.

-http://www.litwitsworkshops.com  Lit Wits are awesome.

Beyond that, I know nothing.  I was just getting you started.   :D   Other people can join in.  :)

• Like 1

Audiobooks

Film/movie versions of books  --   and also using films to learn about literary elements and devices even if the movie has nothing to do with a book.

Sometimes using something current and approachable (like Hunger Games, apropos of another thread on chat board) can be a good entrance into understanding how to think about and discuss literary themes and ideas and elements.

Sometimes abridged easier versions of books (or even graphic novel versions)--and conceivably not everyone in a class even has to read the same version. I can imagine a class where The Odyssey is being read, and some students are reading (or listening to) very abridged versions like the one by Mary Pope Osborne in modern English translation, while others are working on lengthier English versions, and a few perhaps are tackling Greek versions.

Sometimes, especially for something like Shakespeare, having a plot synopsis beforehand is a huge help.  Or a sequential approach that started with a synopsis, then seeing a performance of the play--live or a fun movie version but one that keeps pretty straight to the original, then talking about it, then seeing another performance of the same play, then talking about the differences, then hearing the play read aloud or perhaps reading part of it, but not having to read the whole thing oneself, if that is too difficult, then talking more about it.  Then maybe seeing a very different version of it.  Then maybe a completely different play.  This is how I approached Shakespeare starting with ds when he was still quite young.

Easier things to help work into harder ones that are similar in some way.

Options for children to read what excites them, rather than all having to read the same thing.

• Like 2

This is where I think it really varies (and I didn't see this in another thread, so my apologies if this is specific to a subset of dyslexics). For both my dx dyslexic 2E boys, access to the text itself is really the only issue. If they get around that with audio or Immersion Reading, there are no comprehension issues and we are headed into very high level analysis. The tech makes all the difference though between slogging through books slowly and painfully and them being able to operate at their ability levels. It is mainly a speed/fluency/decoding issue. Not sure if that is helpful or not. :/

We do often take analysis spatial or 3D too - making character maps, building the climax or protagonist/antagonist, etc. But mainly we just discuss the literature.

• Like 3

This is where I think it really varies (and I didn't see this in another thread, so my apologies if this is specific to a subset of dyslexics). ...

My understanding from other thread was: board member trying to teach a group class which includes a child with dyslexia (of unknown or unspecified type), having troubles (of unspecified nature)--presumably this is one child within a group high school literature class with other children in the class who are not dyslexic, but no info on the range or abilities (or perhaps other difficulties) of the other children nor specifics on the dyslexic one.  ?

My understanding from other thread was: board member trying to teach a group class which includes a child with dyslexia (of unknown or unspecified type), having troubles (of unspecified nature)--presumably this is one child within a group high school literature class with other children in the class who are not dyslexic, but no info on the range or abilities (or perhaps other difficulties) of the other children nor specifics on the dyslexic one.  ?

This is exactly the situation.  I have no details on the student, just the broad diagnosis.  Any information on providing support to the student in the context of a class would be great.  There is a group of ten students, and the other students are in a typical range of abilities, IMO.  I have suggested audio books, and this will be done.  I am not sure what else would be helpful.  Notetaking in class is hard for the student, so it seems I should provide more written materials in addition to lectures/class discussion.  Mom will provide support at home and can do so more easily with written materials.  Does this sound like the right approach?  

Thanks for starting this, OhE!  I've not encountered dyslexia in my kids so it is a new experience for me.  Though I won't be the primary teacher (that will be mom at home), I still want to set up the student for the greatest possible success in class.

• Like 1

This is exactly the situation.  I have no details on the student, just the broad diagnosis.  Any information on providing support to the student in the context of a class would be great.  There is a group of ten students, and the other students are in a typical range of abilities, IMO.  I have suggested audio books, and this will be done.  I am not sure what else would be helpful.  Notetaking in class is hard for the student, so it seems I should provide more written materials in addition to lectures/class discussion.  Mom will provide support at home and can do so more easily with written materials.  Does this sound like the right approach?  Yes.

Thanks for starting this, OhE!  I've not encountered dyslexia in my kids so it is a new experience for me.  Though I won't be the primary teacher (that will be mom at home), I still want to set up the student for the greatest possible success in class.

On the bold part, for the mom, it obviously sounds like some written materials would help.  For my ds, being allowed to audio record what happens would probably be of more help than written materials.  You might want to ask the student what s/he thinks would help.

Many dyslexics also have dysgraphia, so not only would notetaking likely be hard, but figuring out what s'/he needs to be able to manage any assignments, essays, written work for projects, exams, etc. probably also needs to be addressed.

• Like 3

Audio recording the class is a great idea.  I had not thought of this, and it would be just fine with me.  The student is very quiet and shy so I am getting most information from student's mom.  I am open to tutoring one on one, as well, as we have a free half hour before class.  For reference, the class is based on the Jill Pike syllabus combining Teaching the Classics and Windows to the World.  The TtC portion of the class moves very quickly and uses the lecture DVDs by Adam Andrews.  I love him, but the DVDs are his lectures to a group of teachers (adults) so are geered toward that audience and need quite a lot of interpretation and explanation to be useful to the typical 9th grader.

• Like 1

Can you email with the parent?  I agree that the student might do better with recording the class lectures but may also benefit from maybe an outline typed out ahead of time that he can jot notes onto?  Would you be able to provide something like that?  I would definitely check with the parent and student first, though.  If the student has severe dysgraphia then taking notes may not be something they are terribly comfortable with or even able to do.  Even mild dysgraphia may make them hesitant/embarrassed to try.  

Its nice that you are willing to do a bit of one on one tutoring.  That little bit of extra help, plus access through an audio book and help with notetaking could turn this from a really poor experience into a successful one for this student.

I don't suppose they know anyone in the class that could take notes for them and share later?  Maybe pair them up in a buddy system?

Can you email with the parent?  I agree that the student might do better with recording the class lectures but may also benefit from maybe an outline typed out ahead of time that he can jot notes onto?  Would you be able to provide something like that?  I would definitely check with the parent and student first, though.  If the student has severe dysgraphia then taking notes may not be something they are terribly comfortable with or even able to do.  Even mild dysgraphia may make them hesitant/embarrassed to try.  

Its nice that you are willing to do a bit of one on one tutoring.  That little bit of extra help, plus access through an audio book and help with notetaking could turn this from a really poor experience into a successful one for this student.

I don't suppose they know anyone in the class that could take notes for them and share later?  Maybe pair them up in a buddy system?

This is a smallish co-op, and this is our seventh year there.  I have known all of the kids, including the one with dyslexia, for many years, as well as the parent, which helps in terms of communicating needs.  I knew going into the school year that the student has dyslexia, but student is just really struggling with the structure and pace of the class.  Mom and I are able to communicate and work well together.  Student has nice handwriting, but is a very slow writer and cannot simultaneously note-take and listen.  Other students would share notes, and the student's best friend is in the class so student does have access to other students' materials.

I am thinking that I will email an outline to the class prior to it occurring so that students can review the topic beforehand and walk in with some knowledge.  This will benefit all students, frankly, as this is such a short class with such a fast pace.  I have created written materials for a story chart on the five elements of fiction as a model, at the request of this student's mom.  I included a two page description of the elements, marked up the short story with notes on the five elements, and included a one page description of relevant terms for literature analysis.  I am hoping that will make the topic more accessible for all of the students.  It is difficult to know at what level to teach the material, even though I have my own two boys in the class.  They have a background with me as their teacher, and they were in my literature analysis class for two years in middle school so much of this material is familiar in some way.  They have a natural head start over a kid without a literature-savvy mom.

• Like 3

The outline is a fabulous idea. Both my boys would qualify for teacher notes or a note-taker in a classroom situation. Another idea might be to allow him to take notes on a laptop if he is a fast typist, but the effectiveness of that accommodation probably also depends on whether this student has had note taking instruction in the past or not.

• Like 1

You likely know this already, but DS has in a classroom for years and has both dyslexia and dysgraphia.  He carries an Echo Smartpen, cell phone, and laptop to each class.  He is not embarrassed to ask questions at all.  He records the lectures with the Smartpen and takes pictures of the white board with his cell phone.  If you could provide handouts in advance of the class, that would be awesome.  DS prelistens and takes notes on chapters of books and texts that are to be covered prior to class.  If your student can get a copy of someone else's notes after the lecture, so much the better.

• Like 2

This is a smallish co-op, and this is our seventh year there.  I have known all of the kids, including the one with dyslexia, for many years, as well as the parent, which helps in terms of communicating needs.  I knew going into the school year that the student has dyslexia, but student is just really struggling with the structure and pace of the class.  Mom and I are able to communicate and work well together.  Student has nice handwriting, but is a very slow writer and cannot simultaneously note-take and listen.  Other students would share notes, and the student's best friend is in the class so student does have access to other students' materials.

I am thinking that I will email an outline to the class prior to it occurring so that students can review the topic beforehand and walk in with some knowledge.  This will benefit all students, frankly, as this is such a short class with such a fast pace.  I have created written materials for a story chart on the five elements of fiction as a model, at the request of this student's mom.  I included a two page description of the elements, marked up the short story with notes on the five elements, and included a one page description of relevant terms for literature analysis.  I am hoping that will make the topic more accessible for all of the students.  It is difficult to know at what level to teach the material, even though I have my own two boys in the class.  They have a background with me as their teacher, and they were in my literature analysis class for two years in middle school so much of this material is familiar in some way.  They have a natural head start over a kid without a literature-savvy mom.

This sounds excellent!  Pretty please, can I have copies of these too?

• Like 1

This sounds excellent!  Pretty please, can I have copies of these too?

Absolutely!  I think it is actually a pretty good teaching tool, and I'm kinda proud of it.  :D

I will need to mail you copies so just pm me your address.

Thank you all so much for your ideas.  It really helps me to plan for this student (and benefit the others, as well).

• Like 1

Absolutely!  I think it is actually a pretty good teaching tool, and I'm kinda proud of it.   :D

I will need to mail you copies so just pm me your address.

Thank you all so much for your ideas.  It really helps me to plan for this student (and benefit the others, as well).

I think the last part in bold is also important. Doing things that are available and potentially helpful for everybody will help everybody and also not make the dyslexic "different" or the recipient of what might be perceived as unfair advantage.  My ds took a test at one point where everyone could take as long as needed (and take breaks as needed too), and I thought that was way better, for everyone, than a test that is stressful and timed, with various kids having different accommodations as to time.  So I think similarly, if there are output requirements and you think of options this child might have that would be easier on her than a lot of writing, esp. writing under timed conditions, let all the students have that same option.  My 2 cents.

There is a free website called classjump.com where you could create a class, upload files, and make the students responsible for downloading their own info. DS loses downloads and emails with attachments from his chem teacher all the time. It is annoying to deal with, so creating an online class repository of handouts and outlines for your entire class might be helpful and fair to all students. You can also post a schedule and homework online using the website.

I will look into that site, HM.  Sounds interesting.  I don't think I'm up for learning a new techy thing right now, but it would be good to keep in mind if I end up teaching English to this class next year.  Thus far, I seem to be one of the only qualified and willing English teachers at the high school level.

I will not be assigning a grade for the course.  I have charged parents with doing that, which really frees me up to simply teach the material as best I can, using any means at my disposal.  I have come to realize the need for written materials for the entire class.  I do not want to point out any one student as "different" even in a small, safe class.  That is his story to tell, not mine.