Menu

Nothing New/Mindful Spending Week 34

Ginevra

The "rules" of this challenge are self-defined. Anyone can join in at any time. The aim of the challenge (for me) is to combat consumerism, wastefulness, mindless buying, and overspending. It is meant to nurture creative problem solving, ecology, frugality, intentionalism, and resourcefulness. To support these goals, I seek to buy nothing new. I aim to use existing resources, borrow, hand-craft, and buy existing second-hand materials to the greatest extent possible. However, I recognize that life is unpredictable, and family life increases this factor exponentially, so I will buy new in the following cases, when a non-buying option does not present:

Food, health, and necessary household goods excluded.

Requirements for school, work, or health and well-being which cannot be obtained used.

Gifts, when a creative non-commercial option will not suffice.

Anything animal or gardening related that cannot be obtained used.

Fuel/energy sources.

Posts will appear each Saturday, referring to the week that is ending. Post your successes, creative solutions, relapses and weak moments. It doesn't matter if you have a weak moment! Just keep swimming!

Let's see: an eventful week, but not overly spendy. Sent DS off on retreat with his school, but other than a little spending cash, that was paid for previously. Got DD situated at college. That only cost in a couple of meals out. I stuck a few books on my Kindle, because we are still in Solomon's Island near the college and I neglected to bring adequate reading material.

Most of our meal tonight will be "free," (cost of bait and boat fuel), because DH and the boys have been crabbing all day and we have 49 keepers to steam. Oh yeah, hon! Dats what we do in Maryland, hon! :D

• Like 2

Low spending week for us. I was sick for two days so the family lived off sandwiches instead of cooking the meals I planned...so I had fewer groceries to buy this morning! Win! 

We did spend money to go see Man From UNCLE and it was really good. Money well spent.  Other than that only other money spent was for a pull chain for the attic closet light and for trash stickers. (Our trash fee covered one can of trash a week. More than that and we have to pay 50 cents per bag, in the form of stickers we have to attach to the extra bags)  So I spent $5 for ten stickers and that will last us about six months. 

We're coming in to a really good time for us- until the holidays we have only one birthday and no other big expenses. I LOVE this time of year.  Looking forward to beefing up the buffer in my household account.  Gosh, I hope I didn't jinx myself by typing that. 

• Like 1

Not much this week, just paid for our part of a wedding gift (the wedding was today and I must say was rather unusual).

In what way was the wedding unusual?

In what way was the wedding unusual?

Just about all of it. Untraditional music, groomsmen and bridesmaids dancing down the aisle along with the groom and bride (though the groom did a cool thing to honor his dad) I have video on my Facebook page. The vows were a bit weird too but it was their wedding so whatever
  • Like 2

Hershey Park.  Need I say more?  :P

I also bought some glue to stick my kids' scout patches on.  I give up with the iron (they don't stay on well enough), and I'm too lazy to sew.  :P

Ordered a pair of shoes for my kid, because she claims the expensive ones I bought her are painful.  :/

I also ordered some books about our state (the kids are studying state history/geography in school this year), my special foo foo vitamins, and a laptop cooling pad.  I suspect the cooling pad might save money in the long run, if it works.

I think that's about it for this week.

• Like 2