Menu

Good Comic Books/Graphic Novels

My 7yo is getting very into comic books/graphic novels. He loves to tell me, "I hate reading for nothing." IE, he will read his assigned reading without much complain, and even enjoy it, but as soon as that timer dings he's done. :/.

He will read a comic for HOURS, though. Hours. So...any not-terrible comic/graphic novel suggestions? I'd really love for him to move into enjoyment reading and I'm willing to lower standards a bit to get there ;)

His reading is magic treehouse/droon series level. Very early chapter books. But he's willing to struggle for something he enjoys. The Black Belt Club comic he's reading right now says 3-6th grade on Scholastic...which seems high to me but what do I know?

My son likes Muddy Max:  The Mystery of Marsh Creek

http://www.amazon.com/Muddy-Max-Mystery-Marsh-Creek/dp/1449435610/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1440790357&sr=8-1&keywords=muddy+max

Plot:  Parents wont let Max get dirty.  Max defies them and finds out the mud gives him super strength. Who is the mystery person who seems to live in the bog.

I am hoping that they come out with a sequel.  Most graphic novels are so dark.

• Like 1

Tiny Titans Treehouse they do not make the comic books anymore but there are many graphic novels, phonics comics book series, DC super pets. The batman '66 are normally kid friendly. There are also beginner chapter books of superman that my daughter loves to read. She's very much into anything that's a comic book, super hero, graphic novel, etc.

• Like 1

DS9 loves graphic novels. Here's a bunch he's loved. Not sure of the reading level of all:

- Bone series

- Dragonbreath series

- Baby Mouse series

- Owlie series

- Squish series

- Secret Science Alliance and the Copycat Crook

- Asterix

- Bake Sale by Sara Varon

- Robot Dreams

- Odd Duck

- Adventures of Polo

I'm sure there are a bunch more, but can't think of them at the moment. I often just browse similar titles on Amazon, once he likes something!

• Like 2

The 9 year old here likes:

Babymouse (she liked it more at 7)

Squish (ditto)

Amelia Rules

The Hereville series

Ms. Marvel

Tiny Titans

Amulet

Rapunzel's Revenge and the sequel

Roller Girl

Three Thieves series by Chantler

Mal and Chad

Astronaut Academy

Zita the Spacegirl

Lunch Lady

Amazing Greek Myths of Wonders and Blunders

John Henry: The Steam Age Original Graphic Novel

El Deafo

Luz Makes a Splash

Secret Science Alliance

Akissi: Feline Invasion

Calvin and Hobbes

Anything with Spiderman, like, ever

She's also a fan of Princeless, but I can't promise that one will appeal to your kiddo :)

• Like 2

A few I didn't see mentioned yet:

Flying Beaver Brothers

Giants/Dragons Beware

Super Dinosaur

Binky

Hamster PI

Missile Mouse

Big Nate

Jedi Academy, Frank Einstein, Frankie Pickle... there are also a bunch of hybrid GN/fiction books in the Wimpy Kid model these days.

There are a bunch more that are harder as well... If he can read Bone then there will be even more that he can tackle.

• Like 1

A few I didn't see mentioned yet:

Flying Beaver Brothers

Giants/Dragons Beware

Super Dinosaur

Binky

Hamster PI

Missile Mouse

Big Nate

Jedi Academy, Frank Einstein, Frankie Pickle... there are also a bunch of hybrid GN/fiction books in the Wimpy Kid model these days.

There are a bunch more that are harder as well... If he can read Bone then there will be even more that he can tackle.

I'd love to know your list of harder ones!

DD LOVES El Deafo (I think she's read it 15 times now) and the Bone anthology. I've got Zita the Space Girl in my Amazon cart, but she hasn't read them yet. There's also the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. They aren't graphic novels, but have lots of pictures. DD likes them, but I hate to buy them because she reads them so quickly she's finished the book before we've gotten home from the bookstore.

I bought Super Grammar for school and she actually enjoyed reading it and retained most of the information. I'm thinking of using more of The Cartoon Book of ....(various subjects) and some of the different science Manga Guide to .... books. They might be worth a look for when your son gets a little older.

• Like 2

I'd love to know your list of harder ones!

Well, Mushroom is really into these new nonfiction GN's. I think most of them would be too hard for most 7 yos. So things like...

Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales

T. Minus

Primates

Laika

Neurocomic

There's more like this... every time I go to the store I see more. It's an explosion on this front really.

No one mentioned the George O'Conner Olympians series, but BalletBoy is into that - some 7 yos might be able to enjoy that though. And the same thing for the text heavy stuff like Astrix and Oblex and Tintin, which I wouldn't automatically suggest for younger kids.

And there's just a lot of upper end middle grades GN's that I think of as being thematically more age 9 or 10 and up. Someone mentioned Hereville, which I think is a bit older. Some others...

Smile, Sisters and Drama

Lumberjanes

everything by Doug Tenapel

City of Light, City of Dark (this is an incredibly good one)

MouseGuard

Flight Explorer

Nimona

all the Avatar graphic novels (these are sooooo good)

Battling Boy

Usagi Yojimbo

• Like 1

The only problem I found with some of the harder GN's was that sometimes the text would get very small, and the page would get crowded. Crazypants found those hard to read. He has vision correction, so it's not that he couldn't focus, just that he found it overwhelming I think.

I got all the books from the library, and ILL any series he was interested in reading more of. So if he didn't like anything I just brought it back. I've found that libraries don't tend to have very large selections, but it's enough to get a feel for likes and dislikes.

Well, Mushroom is really into these new nonfiction GN's. I think most of them would be too hard for most 7 yos. So things like...

Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales

T. Minus

Primates

Laika

Neurocomic

There's more like this... every time I go to the store I see more. It's an explosion on this front really.

No one mentioned the George O'Conner Olympians series, but BalletBoy is into that - some 7 yos might be able to enjoy that though. And the same thing for the text heavy stuff like Astrix and Oblex and Tintin, which I wouldn't automatically suggest for younger kids.

And there's just a lot of upper end middle grades GN's that I think of as being thematically more age 9 or 10 and up. Someone mentioned Hereville, which I think is a bit older. Some others...

Smile, Sisters and Drama

Lumberjanes

everything by Doug Tenapel

City of Light, City of Dark (this is an incredibly good one)

MouseGuard

Flight Explorer

Nimona

all the Avatar graphic novels (these are sooooo good)

Battling Boy

Usagi Yojimbo

Great, thanks! Which reminds me that I need to update my kids' ages on my signature!!

The 9 year old here likes:

Babymouse (she liked it more at 7)

Squish (ditto)

Amelia Rules

The Hereville series

Ms. Marvel

Tiny Titans

Amulet

Rapunzel's Revenge and the sequel

Roller Girl

Three Thieves series by Chantler

Mal and Chad

Astronaut Academy

Zita the Spacegirl

Lunch Lady

Amazing Greek Myths of Wonders and Blunders

John Henry: The Steam Age Original Graphic Novel

El Deafo

Luz Makes a Splash

Secret Science Alliance

Akissi: Feline Invasion

Calvin and Hobbes

Anything with Spiderman, like, ever

She's also a fan of Princeless, but I can't promise that one will appeal to your kiddo :)

I'll second the 'Amulet' series. Dd, who was a late reader, adored them. I just wish there'd been more of them. It's been a couple of years now, but she still checks the library every time we go, just in case there's been an addition to the series.

• Like 1

I'll second the 'Amulet' series. Dd, who was a late reader, adored them. I just wish there'd been more of them. It's been a couple of years now, but she still checks the library every time we go, just in case there's been an addition to the series.

What do you mean? Book 6 just came out last August, and book 7 (out of a planned 9) is confirmed for spring of next year.

http://boltcity.com/

DD LOVES El Deafo (I think she's read it 15 times now) and the Bone anthology. I've got Zita the Space Girl in my Amazon cart, but she hasn't read them yet. There's also the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. They aren't graphic novels, but have lots of pictures. DD likes them, but I hate to buy them because she reads them so quickly she's finished the book before we've gotten home from the bookstore.

I bought Super Grammar for school and she actually enjoyed reading it and retained most of the information. I'm thinking of using more of The Cartoon Book of ....(various subjects) and some of the different science Manga Guide to .... books. They might be worth a look for when your son gets a little older.

We went to the bookstore yesterday and they had the first Zita the Spacegirl. DD finished it before we got home. She's already clamoring for the sequels. So Zita is good, too. 

• 2 weeks later...