Menu

facebook "most recent" news feed suddenly very sparse?

SKL

This just happened today.  My news feed, when in "most recent" mode, has hardly any posts.  It has maybe 10 from today and zero from the past couple weeks, then a few random ones from early August and July.  Normally there are hundreds, especially at this time of year when everyone is posting their back-to-school pics and dog pics etc.  Even my own posts aren't showing up on my news feed.

Is this happening to anyone else?  Is it a temporary glitch, or is there a fix for it?

Mine is filled with a ton of "So-n-So liked this..."

I am convinced that people would hit the like button way less often if they knew that some of those likes were being widely broadcast. I've learned a bit about people I didn't need to know.

Anyway, my newsfeed is about 20% original material, 60% what folks on my friends list liked and the rest is ads and shares of cat videos.

Oh, there are also posts from groups I am in but I have to specifically look at them.

• Like 4

I haven't noticed any differences today.  However, maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to me that over the summer there was some change of settings, perhaps other people's settings.  My news feed now includes every single thing that one of my Friends has liked, mostly postings by their other Friends.  I don't want to see all these - I can never get through the news feed.  I might just have to give up FB because I'm so annoyed with scrolling through what are the posts of strangers.  I can't find a setting on my own account that would fix this.

I get a lot of "so-and-so liked" stuff too.  I've asked if other people see what I like, and they say no.  So I guess there must be a setting somewhere.

But yeah, I'm careful what I like, just in case.  (Not that I like obnoxious things in any case, but I do have friends from all over the political spectrum.)

Another odd thing today, I got a notification that one of my friends is attending a conference (one that doesn't concern me).  I don't think that has ever happened before.

I haven't noticed any differences today.  However, maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to me that over the summer there was some change of settings, perhaps other people's settings.  My news feed now includes every single thing that one of my Friends has liked, mostly postings by their other Friends.  I don't want to see all these - I can never get through the news feed.  I might just have to give up FB because I'm so annoyed with scrolling through what are the posts of strangers.  I can't find a setting on my own account that would fix this.

I agree that this seems to be a recent development.  Things got a lot better when I unfollowed a couple people who are obsessive likers.

I haven't noticed any differences today. However, maybe it's my imagination, but it seems to me that over the summer there was some change of settings, perhaps other people's settings. My news feed now includes every single thing that one of my Friends has liked, mostly postings by their other Friends. I don't want to see all these - I can never get through the news feed. I might just have to give up FB because I'm so annoyed with scrolling through what are the posts of strangers. I can't find a setting on my own account that would fix this.

Yes, this is absolutely what I am experiencing. If anyone knows what setting to change to stop this nonsense, please let me know. If it weren't for my groups and long distance relatives that I wouldn't otherwise keep in touch with, I'd have already dropped fb.

• Like 1

Yes, this is absolutely what I am experiencing. If anyone knows what setting to change to stop this nonsense, please let me know. If it weren't for my groups and long distance relatives that I wouldn't otherwise keep in touch with, I'd have already dropped fb.

We aren't alone:  http://blogs.wsj.com/personal-technology/2015/07/09/never-miss-a-post-again-facebook-rolls-out-news-feed-controls/

Are you "following" everyone you want to see?  It's an option on their page and if you aren't you won't see their posts.

It might come to that, but then the whole point of FB (for me) is to see what my friends post as news, not to see what they "like."  At this point, there's no difference between the "like" feature and the "share" feature as far as I can tell, because everything they "liked" or commented on gets shared.  I already unfollowed a friend whose news I want to see just because she likes and comments on so many things that take up my news feed.

• Like 1

Are you "following" everyone you want to see?  It's an option on their page and if you aren't you won't see their posts.

Yes, I double checked to make sure fb didn't change that today.  I only have 2 friends "unfollowed."  I have 36 friends I follow, plus 4 groups and about 10 other facebook pages.

I do see a lot more if I choose "top stories," but I don't like that setting since I feel like I am missing things I really want to see from my everyday obscure friends.  Plus I don't want to see the same stuff over and over and have to scroll down all day to find the stuff I care about.

• Like 1

We aren't alone: http://blogs.wsj.com/personal-technology/2015/07/09/never-miss-a-post-again-facebook-rolls-out-news-feed-controls/

It might come to that, but then the whole point of FB (for me) is to see what my friends post as news, not to see what they "like." At this point, there's no difference between the "like" feature and the "share" feature as far as I can tell, because everything they "liked" or commented on gets shared. I already unfollowed a friend whose news I want to see just because she likes and comments on so many things that take up my news feed.

The new settings options described in that blog post sound ridiculous to me. I want to see real status updates, from each of my friends, in chronological order. I don't mind their shares but I don't want their likes. I don't want to have to follow and unfollow, I will either keep them or delete them as friends. I don't want too many options. I just want it to be simple! Guess I'm showing my lack of social media savvy.

• Like 1