Menu

Afterschooling preschool

Hello!

This is my first time posting. I have a very bright, intense and social just turned 4 year old. She will be attending 3 half days of preschool this year at a private Montessori school. I want to do something in addition on the 2 days she does not go to school and possibly something brief the days she goes to school before her friends in the neighborhood get home from kindergarten. I do not want to work on reading, math (logic would be ok) or geography since that will be the focus of her Montessori time. We already do lots of read alouds including both fiction and non-fiction and try to read a chapter book every week-2 weeks depending on the length of the book. We do crafts together, play pretend, and explore outside. She watches way too much tv with daddy so I try to have no screen time during the day.

I am looking for something that is fun for her and engaging that she can learn something along the way. Any suggestions?

Nature studies and exploration are wonderful for that age.  

Legos and Blocks!  We do lots of lego building in our house.

Lots of Play Time.  

For TV time carefully choose a few shows that you think are educational and let her watch them instead of the garbage that kids seem to watch every day. 

Thanks everyone!

I do wish I could do a language or suzuki music lessons with her, but it is cost prohibitive after paying for preschool.

We will definitely add more cooking to our days. She loves to bake but would probably also like to help with other food prep.

Legos are a big hit and we do play with them almost daily. Either following directions to complete a kit or free building.

We play outside as weather permits. I have a 4 month old so this summer we have been in more than I like.

I briefly looked at 5 in a row and it looks neat. She has listened to and liked several of the books the program uses.

• 1 month later...

I will recommend studying some essential for life things such as cooking, gardening, caring for pets. 

You can do yoga with her or other sport exercises. Besides, learning languages and music are great for this age.