Menu

Jam that didn't set----need ideas on how to use it up

Ottakee

A friend of mine gave me some very yummy grape freezer jam that didn't set up very well.  It is is quite runny.   Just wondering if anyone had any great ideas on how to use this up..........other than eating it with a spoon---which is a yummy way on its own :-)

Friend warned me it might be a runny bunch but I was OK with that as the taste is so good.  It just won't stay on toast, etc.

I once canned a batch of strawberry vanilla jam that didn't set. I labeled it strawberry vanilla sauce instead. :)

It was delicious over plain yogurt or in oatmeal. A touch drizzled over fresh strawberries felt very fancy. Over vanilla ice cream would have been yummy too.

• Like 1

My family has gotten used to runny jam.  I don't like to use lots of sugar and I often don't have pectin available so it has to be runny.  We still use it on sandwiches and toast.  It isn't any runnier than honey and we use that on sandwiches and toast too.  We also use it on pancakes and stuff like that, like others have mentioned.

You could look at recipes for grape (or other berry ) pie. I think you could thicken the jam with plain gelatin, whipped cream or something and pour into a graham cracker crust. Grape pie is delicious! Peanut butter and jelly pie. There are recipes where you mix peanut butter with cream cheese for a layer and the jelly on top. 

My family has gotten used to runny jam.  I don't like to use lots of sugar and I often don't have pectin available so it has to be runny.  We still use it on sandwiches and toast.  It isn't any runnier than honey and we use that on sandwiches and toast too.  We also use it on pancakes and stuff like that, like others have mentioned.

I make all my jams and jellies with low sugar.  I used to have a lot of trouble getting it to gel using Sure Gel or Ball Pectin.  I switched to Pomona Pectin and it is SOOO much easier to use.  Not only does it always gel, but I can make multiple big batches with no trouble.  It lasts a long time too (doesn't take much, and stores well).

To answer the OP: I would probably work with friend to re-gel the entire batch.  I've tried using runny jams for things suggested above, but I've never been satisfied with the flavor/texture.