Menu

What is 2nd grade math and should we skip it?

Btervet

DS really likes math. So far, we've been doing RS B, MEP year 1, and Miquon Orange/Red. We also do little bits of Zaccaro's Primary Math (mostly just the level 1 problems). I showed him Khan Academy and he did all of early math (K-2) in 3 days, and is 30% through 3rd grade math on there (and 20% of prealgebra???). He also does Splashmath and just completed grade 2 on there. I know this is a lot, but it really is lead by him. The only part I 'make' him do is RS, which I would consider our main program.

I had him take the placement for BA 3A and he passed, but barely (13/16 without help). He struggled with the harder subtraction problems (especially involving borrowing) and some of the word problems. Once I read the word problems aloud to him, he could do them, but couldn't do them independently.  I went ahead and ordered it with the idea that he could just look at the guides for a while until he was ready for the practice books. He's been begging for them since he first saw a sample a year ago. 

Now I'm trying to decide if we should buy RS C. I had planned to do RS A, B, and C before switching to BA. We will probably keep doing MEP for a while (we just do the worksheets, mostly as drill and for harder problems). RS C isn't cheap, so if we can skip it, I'd like to. I'm not really sure what 'new' math would be taught. BA 3 doesn't expect knowledge of multiplication to start, and he already knows the basics of addition/subtraction. So what exactly is covered in second grade math, or RS C more specifically? Is it just harder addition/subtraction problems? What would we miss if we skipped it and went straight to BA3?

DS does a LOT of math, so I'm very confused as to where he should be. I'd rather not spend more money on math curriculum, but I also don't want him to miss something foundational by skipping 2nd grade math. 

ETA: I almost forgot, he also does Evan Moor 2nd Grade Daily Math Review/Daily Word Problems on the weekend. He completely a weeks worth of each over the 2 day weekend, and finds them very easy. It seems to me these cover the same topics as first grade math in our other curriculum, but maybe I'm missing something?

We're doing RS C now, with the intent to move to Beast afterwards. Honestly, in retrospect, I wish I had just gotten a couple subject-specific Math Mammoth books to get multi-digit addition and subtraction down cold and then moved on as DD is quickly falling out of love with RS. But I didn't realize how rapidly she would want to move away from manipulatives and I've decided to wait until we're done though I'm definitely not continuing on to D.

As for what RS C covers:

- reviews addition, but does not go any further with it than level B

- subtraction, reasonably thoroughly

- a good bit of geometry and using drawing tools

- intro to fractions

- time and money

- Roman numerals

- basic skip counting, introduction to multiplication, multiplication facts through 5x5

- measurement in metric and standard, introduction to perimeter and area

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that you need to do an entire second grade program, but addition, subtraction, and place value need to be *really* solid before you start BA 3. Keep going in Miquon until those are ready, if Miquon is working for him. RS C could work, but it's a big expense for what isn't nearly as fantastic as RS B is, IMO.

• Like 1

We did about 2/3 of RS C (after RS B) then started BA 3. DS was also "falling out of love" with RS (I was as well). However, the regrouping work in base ten for subtraction was so solid I would almost say the expense was worth it just for that. I know there are other ways to learn it, but my DS's number concept and facility in base ten is phenomenal thanks to RS! It made him be able to tackle BA from a conceptual standpoint because he had such facility with manipulating numbers in his head.

• Like 2

Thank you all! I think we might skip RS C and just work from what we have. While I love the concepts in RS, DS is getting tired of me 'teaching' him math, and prefers work he can do on his own and come to me for help. So I might just have him finish up our first grade materials, work through some more Miquon and MEP, then head over to BA.

Do we need to cover fractions before BA3? It isn't listed on their site, but both Miquon and RS seem to expect it before 3rd grade math.

• Like 1

Well, honestly, we didn't really do any math before BA 3. We dabbled in things here and there, but we were mostly living math aficionados. BA 3 was the first real curriculum that we jumped into during the 2nd half of her 2nd grade year when it was first released.

It was the right program for her, and she flourished in it.