Menu

New here...not sure what to do..

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can offer any perspective or ideas for us? My daughter is a sophomore this year. She taught herself to read early, and in her elementary years she seemed to learn easily, although reading comprehension has long been an area of difficulty for her.  Around 6th grade she started having trouble concentrating on her work. She fidgeted constantly, and any little noise or thing would distract her. The situation has very gradually worsened over the years, and now I realize she's really struggling. She was looking at her geometry today (Jacob's using Derek Owen's online class) and told me she felt like the page was all gibberish. She's in a tutorial English class, and she told me recently she feels like everyone else understands things that she doesn't get. She has trouble compehending and following directions. She's become very hard on herself and says she feels like she's "dumb." I just don't know how to help her.

I feel terrible that I didn't take this more seriously when she was younger! She excelled in school for so long that I just didn't realize how difficult things were becoming for her. I don't know where to go from here. I'm afraid I've missed a window when I could have gotten her more help. She's musically inclined, and I feel like she may be giving up on more academic pursuits.

Can anyone advise me as to where to go or what to do to start to identify the problem? Secondarily, does any recommendations for math programs that might work for us?

Thank you for any help!

Shannon

You might seriously consider getting an evaluation through a neuropsychologist. They can tweak out many things, including both strengths and weaknesses. Without that eval you will be shooting in the dark.

Another thing you might look into is an evaluation for Auditory Prosessing Disorder (APD) or CAPD.

Has her hearing been checked? Not with a standard pediatric exam but with an audiologist?

You might skim through other posts on this board, too. Lots of good info here if you are willing to look.

Hugs. I know this is kind of scary and frustrating but you are asking questions and seeking answers. That's great. Press forward. Keep asking. Get evaluations. Getting solid answers is a gift, not something to fear.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply, One Step! This is very helpful, and I have noticed that she has trouble absorbing information auditorally. I had to give up on reading to her long ago--I just coudn't hold her attention. She also has vision loss due to a genetic condition, but that generally only affects her distance sight. She can read well without assistance other than her glasses.

I will be reading through other posts on this board. I appreciate your help!

• Like 1

I second the suggestion to have her evaluated. There are so many things that can go into learning issues. 

As for the teaching herself to read but struggling with comprehension, have you heard of hyperlexia? It's more of a symptom than a diagnosis, I think, but maybe that is one piece of the puzzle.

Welcome to the LC board! 

• Like 2

Also, can her genetic condition cause any mental, behavioral, or thought problems (as in a whole body condition or just the eyes)? Sometimes conditions are relatively benign in childhood but start to show problems later in life. If she has a geneticist you may want to visit to see.

And maybe consider if her visual condition is worsening or contributing somehow? I have poor vision and I swear if I'm not wearing my glasses my auditory skills get worse, like I have trouble hearing. It sounds hokey but maybe worth an evaluation if it's been awhile.

Great avatar btw!

• Like 2

If she has attention issues and is so musical and right-brain (narrative, big picture), she really may need some help to buckle down and do the linear sequential work of geometry proofs.  I think you're going to have to sit down and do the geometry WITH her, no matter what program you use.  Therefore I would start by making that change.

As far as the rest, well sure get a psych eval.  I think you're also at the age where it just starts becoming obvious who they are.  I think at some point we have to focus on promoting who they are, who they're becoming, not so much cramming them into another mold.  Like I was talking with someone today about how if my dd went into a college program where they were focused on discussion, collaboration, creativity, analysis, etc., she'd be fabulous.  If they're focused on memorization and regurgitation, she's toast.  And I'm really not inclined to med her up just to make her be that other person, kwim?  At this point I can say you're cool, it's awesome, be who you are.  I think staying off places of homogenous thought process (like the high school board here) can help with that.  It's very hard to embrace who your dc is becoming.  

I think if they can't do something THEY want to do, that's different, kwim?  Like driving.  My dd told me several months ago that she felt she would need meds to be able to drive safely.  She was trying to learn, putting in the hours our state required, and she could just feel it was a problem that she needed meds for.  We talked about it, because meds have been on the table for a long time (mainly held off by dh, not me), and I decided we would do neurofeedback (pretty much the last major thing we hadn't tried) and then go to meds if that wasn't enough.  This week she's driving and she's FINE.  She's stable, calm, and like no big deal.  Neurofeedback totally ranks in my book.

What sucks, and I'll just be honest, is that with the impulsivity chilled she's realizing her terribly low processing speed.  And honestly that sucks, because that's something meds would bump.  And I'm offering to take her to the ped and get the meds anyway, because it's a DISABILITY to process that slowly.  But the point is she has the options and she's facing who she is and figuring out how she fits in the world, kwim?  And I'm crazy slow on figuring that out.  I so need a crystal ball, lol.

That directions thing could be clinical (like she needs an SLP eval, has APD, whatever), or it could just be she's missing stuff because of inattention and/or low processing speed.  Offer evals and see what you find out.  When kids want to know why they are a certain way, that's how you get the answers.  It's not too late.  A ped can diagnose ADHD, but you'd get a LOT more information and help going through a psych.  The psych can screen for some other things that are similar and make sure you're not missing stuff as well as giving you breakdowns on processing speed, working memory, motor planning, other needed referrals, career advice, etc.  If she has a lot of language symptoms, consider an SLP eval and a hearing eval with an audiologist that does APD evals so they can screen.  I got dd's hearing tested at the local uni for $35, wow.  We learned quite a bit, so it was worth doing.  

• Like 2

So much to think about! I need several days to dedicate to reading and researching. I appreciate all the time you have all taken to respond. It's overwhelming.

Where do you start with the evals? Do I go first to the primary care physician for a referral?

• Like 1

I'm just going to throw this out there for you to think about -- google Stealth Dyslexia. If she taught herself to read by sight words and context clues but does not know how to read phonetically, it could cause difficulties now that she is using higher level materials.

I do think that it could be any number of things and that a professional diagnosis is the way to go, but don't discount the idea of dyslexia just because she could read when she was young. My sister has a friend who was diagnosed with dyslexia in college. No one recognized it during all the years before that.

Hopefully you can figure out what the root cause is, so that she can succeed. It's good that you are recognizing that she needs help. :grouphug:

• Like 2

So much to think about! I need several days to dedicate to reading and researching. I appreciate all the time you have all taken to respond. It's overwhelming.

Where do you start with the evals? Do I go first to the primary care physician for a referral?

See if your insurance covers Neuropsych testing. Most don't but a few do under specific criteria (genetic conditions is sometimes one, also trauma, seizure disorders maybe). If they cover it and a doc is covered, follow their requirements.

If not, you'll have to spend time researching Neuropsych testing in your area. In general I think more experience=better, so see if your local teaching hospital, university, etc offers it. Plan to schedule out 3-6 months wait for an appt. costs vary but easily are >$1,000. If you live anywhere near Baltimore I recommend all children's.

• Like 1