Menu

If you had a voucher to spend on plane tix for you and dh....

Susan in KY

Ok, so where in Puerto Rico? It was number one on my list, but he was thinking about another Caribbean island... I feel so silly even debating it because, well, first world problems! Who am I to complain?!

All of it? :D Puerto Rico is not super big. If you hit the rainforest, the beaches, some of the historical sites in San Juan, and one of the bioluminescent bays you'll have hit the highlights. We're planning a trip in February, and that's a basic outline of our trip right there. :)

• Like 3

Two experiences:

(1) In 1991, I was in MIA (Miami International Airport) waiting for a very late afternoon or early evening flight to CCS (Caracas, Venezuela). The airline was Pan Am. The flight was "oversold" (airline terminology for a flight that had been "overbooked" (a necessary status for the reservations department). and then too many people with valid tickets showed up for the flight.    Their offer was very tempting, but I had people meeting me at the airport and I had prepaid that night's reservation in  a hotel in Caracas.  I turned it down and then felt that I had made a mistake and should have taken their offer and gotten them to pay for my hotel and to notify the people in Venezuela.  Approximately 2 months later, Pan Am stopped flying, forever. Had I accepted their voucher, it would have been a worthless piece of paper.

(2) I had enough Frequent Flyer Miles on Delta to go from Bogota, Colombia to anywhere in the USA, including Alaska or Hawaii that was in their system. This is where I answer your question.  We chose Las Vegas as our final destination. On the way back, we spent a week in Dallas/Ft. Worth.  Las Vegas for the glitter (Disney World for Adults) and Texas because of friends there.

Look at the different cities that airline serves and at the restrictions on your voucher(s) and then select your destination(s) and enjoy your trip!

We had an opportunity like this quite a few years ago.  I told dh that I wanted to go someplace that I would not drive to because of distance.

We chose San Diego.  Their weather is beautiful all year.

ETA:  We were limited to the Continental U.S.

If we had not had that limitation, I would have chosen London.  (I was an English major in college and I've read a lot of Brit Lit, but I've never been to England.  Dh knows this would be my dream vacation.)

• Like 1

UK - London, the Costwolds, or Scotland - my family places

Morocco - architecture, the cities

Istanbul - as above, plus i have a friend there

India - the food

I doubt my dh ould let me go to Morocco or India though - and in fact he doesn't like cities much at all, so it might be Scotland.

• Like 1

Puerto Rico!!  Fun and sunny and wonderful. Not too close, not too far.

I agree with Puerto Rico and I think December is a good month to go.  I haven't been there, but really want to go and we may do that for our 25th anniversary in a couple of years.  Some friends stayed at the Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa and they loved it. (I lean more toward things like an Airbnb listing.) They said going to the bioluminescent bay in Vieques (when there's not a full moon) is a must. They also hiked at El Yunque if memory serves me correctly. 

Two experiences:

(1) In 1991, I was in MIA (Miami International Airport) waiting for a very late afternoon or early evening flight to CCS (Caracas, Venezuela). The airline was Pan Am. The flight was "oversold" (airline terminology for a flight that had been "overbooked" (a necessary status for the reservations department). and then too many people with valid tickets showed up for the flight. Their offer was very tempting, but I had people meeting me at the airport and I had prepaid that night's reservation in a hotel in Caracas. I turned it down and then felt that I had made a mistake and should have taken their offer and gotten them to pay for my hotel and to notify the people in Venezuela. Approximately 2 months later, Pan Am stopped flying, forever. Had I accepted their voucher, it would have been a worthless piece of paper.

(2) I had enough Frequent Flyer Miles on Delta to go from Bogota, Colombia to anywhere in the USA, including Alaska or Hawaii that was in their system. This is where I answer your question. We chose Las Vegas as our final destination. On the way back, we spent a week in Dallas/Ft. Worth. Las Vegas for the glitter (Disney World for Adults) and Texas because of friends there.

Look at the different cities that airline serves and at the restrictions on your voucher(s) and then select your destination(s) and enjoy your trip!

Do you live in Colombia? If yes, where? Just curious. Was born there. Haven't been there for 16+ years :(

• 1 year later...

So what did you end up choosing?

So, Lucy, it's a year past when you asked me this question and I have no idea if you will even see my response. We spent our 20th anniversary on Culebra, an island of glorious beaches and fantastic snorkling. We also took a lovely day trip to Culebrita. Both islands belong to PR, but geographically Culebra is the last island in the Virgin Islands chain. We also spent some time on the main island, kayaked the bioluminescent bay, hiked El Yunque, and shopped in San Juan. It was lovely in every way. Thanks for asking. :)

• Like 6

So, Lucy, it's a year past when you asked me this question and I have no idea if you will even see my response. We spent our 20th anniversary on Culebra, an island of glorious beaches and fantastic snorkling. We also took a lovely day trip to Culebrita. Both islands belong to PR, but geographically Culebra is the last island in the Virgin Islands chain. We also spent some time on the main island, kayaked the bioluminescent bay, hiked El Yunque, and shopped in San Juan. It was lovely in every way. Thanks for asking. :)

Sounds great!  

• Like 1