Menu

Disney pros?

Whereneverever

I know we have some here, would anyone be willing to help answer some questions?

Walt Disney World, or Disneyland? If you're wanting to know about Disneyland, I can answer questions. Mr. Ellie and I have been there over 30 times. Never been to WDW.

• Like 1

My second DD has been approved for a Make a Wish trip and wants to go to Disney World.

I would love help with what dining is worth it, how to plan what rides, ect.

We're overwhelmed.

There's a Make a Wish forum on DisBoards. I'd head there for the specifics. There are also a good deal of trip reports which might help you plan or at least visualize things.

I hope you enjoy your trip. :grouphug:

ETA: Sorry, it's a pinned thread not a separate forum http://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities.20/

• Like 1

My second DD has been approved for a Make a Wish trip and wants to go to Disney World. 

I would love help with what dining is worth it, how to plan what rides, ect. 

We're overwhelmed. 

Generally, the Make a Wish trips are very inclusive. They will give you a dining card to use at the GKTW hotel, so all food there is covered. They will work with any dietary needs and even take special requests that are not health related. You only have to buy meals while actually at the parks, so a dining plan is not going to be worth it. 

As far as planning rides and such, a lot will depend on when you visit - slow vs busy times. The single biggest factor in getting a lot done is visiting at a less busy time. 

Do you know when you are going? 

How many people and what ages? 

How old is the Wish child? 

My cousin's family went on a Wish trip. They will do absolutely everything to ensure y'all have a great time. 

• Like 2

Generally, the Make a Wish trips are very inclusive. They will give you a dining card to use at the GKTW hotel, so all food there is covered. They will work with any dietary needs and even take special requests that are not health related. You only have to buy meals while actually at the parks, so a dining plan is not going to be worth it. 

As far as planning rides and such, a lot will depend on when you visit - slow vs busy times. The single biggest factor in getting a lot done is visiting at a less busy time. 

Do you know when you are going? 

How many people and what ages? 

How old is the Wish child? 

My cousin's family went on a Wish trip. They will do absolutely everything to ensure y'all have a great time. 

We don't have travel dates yet, so I'm not sure.

6 people-- my husband and I, the kids are 11, 8, 5, and almost 3.

Wish kid is 8.

They said something about a Genie Pass, so we wouldn't have to wait in lines?

We don't have travel dates yet, so I'm not sure.

6 people-- my husband and I, the kids are 11, 8, 5, and almost 3.

Wish kid is 8.

They said something about a Genie Pass, so we wouldn't have to wait in lines?

The Genie Pass is essentially like having a Fast Pass for every ride - you go to the Fast Pass line without having to reserve it. So you may have to do some limited waiting, but never in the standby line, which will save a ton of time. 

At Universal (MAW will give you lots of tickets, lol), they generally put you straight to the front of even the fast pass line. 

If you can spare the money, buy extra MAW t-shirts for the family (usually they will give one each). This makes it easier for workers to spot you and offer help, etc. 

There is lots to do at the hotel if all day in the parks isn't feasible. 

I can't remember how they worked out dates with my cousin, but I would imagine they would be very happy for you to go in an off season time (whenever school is in session!). I urge you to do this! The crowds will be considerably lower and the weather will be considerably better in October, November, early December. I would pull kids out of school for this if at all possible, it makes THAT much of a difference. 

January has okay-ish weather usually, not as nice as fall, and also lots of Brazilian tour groups that you will want to avoid. February, March, and April have lots of busy dates with Mardi Gras, spring breaks, and special events. May is not AS hot as full summer but still very, very hot. June through September is usually unbearably hot (says the person from Louisiana). 

October can be quite warm sometimes, but not hot, and it's usually lovely. The Halloween decorations and stuff will be going on. 

November, also usually lovely weather except sometimes a bit cold instead of a bit warm, lol.  It's lower crowds except for Thanksgiving week (and the bracketing weekends).  They start adding Christmas decorations in this month, and they will all be up at Magic Kingdom for sure by the time of the first Very Merry Christmas party, which is early November this year. I think the light show at Hollywood Studios is generally up at the same time, and it's amazing. 

I don't think the Santas from around the world hit Epcot until after Thanksgiving, though. They wear costumes and tell stories of the traditions in their land. 

The first two weeks in December are usually quite good crowd-wise. We've worn shorts in December, we've worn sweatshirts in December, but it's never unbearably hot or cold. 

Pop Warner week is always in December, but that affects the food courts and pools at the resorts much more so than the parks. Staying at MAW, I wouldn't worry about it at all. 

Those are the main dates and events I can remember offhand. Do always check for a special event before picking dates, because The Mouse is always up to something! 

When you have a better idea of when you are going, it will be easier to make touring plans for the parks. 

• Like 2

We have done 2 MAW trips.  We did one in early December and that was GREAT.  It was a tad cold for Florida standards but WARM for us from Michigan.  The other one we did in March and that was good too.  Given a choice though I would do the early Dec one again.

With our MAW trip we got cash to spend for meals in the parks.  It was more than enough so that we used some of it and went to the Arabian Nights dinner show as my girls are horse lovers.  In the parks I would start out with 2-3 kids meals and one adult meal if you do quick service and that will likely be more than enough.  I never bought anything for my self as everyone else always had left overs.

We did our trip a few years ago but we went right to the front of the lines for almost everything.....including the safari at Animal Kingdom, the shows, etc.  The shows are awesome and they let my wish kid be a part of the Lion King one.

The Give Kids the World (if you are staying there) is awesome as well.  You could easily take a day to just hang out there and do things.  Pizza delivery to your condo, icecream all day, activities, other food options, etc.

I am not sure what special needs your 8 year old has but one of the best things we did was get a wheelchair for our wish kid.  We just did one wheelchair and our girls took turns riding in it.  They are fully mobile but fatigue easily and it is a LOT of walking. They never use a wheelchair around here but it was suggested to us and was a huge help..........you get a few looks when your child hops in and out of it but mitochondrial issues are pretty invisible.  You might want a double stroller for your younger 2 as well.  MAW had the wheelchair waiting for us when we got to our room.

I have to head out soon but would love to try to answer any other questions you might have.

• Like 1

With our MAW trip we got cash to spend for meals in the parks.  It was more than enough so that we used some of it and went to the Arabian Nights dinner show as my girls are horse lovers.  <snip> 

We did our trip a few years ago but we went right to the front of the lines for almost everything.....including the safari at Animal Kingdom, the shows, etc.  The shows are awesome and they let my wish kid be a part of the Lion King one.

The Give Kids the World (if you are staying there) is awesome as well.  You could easily take a day to just hang out there and do things.  Pizza delivery to your condo, icecream all day, activities, other food options, etc.

I am not sure what special needs your 8 year old has but one of the best things we did was get a wheelchair for our wish kid.   <snip> 

They gave my cousin money for park meals as well, but that might vary by local chapter. I know I've heard of some extras varying by family, I don't know if it's due to local chapter or just what they have available at the time. My cousin had lots of extras and didn't spend a dime, but I don't know if that can be counted on. 

Front of the line isn't officially offered but often unofficially happens. That and shows and stuff are great reasons to wear the shirts every day if you can! Extra visibility. 

They will put Wish families at the Wish resort unless it's full, which is generally ideal bc they are so used to dealing with medical needs and have so many activities and things. 

I've also heard about a "stroller as wheelchair" option that is good for some kids who have a specialty stroller or just need transport and not a wheelchair in particular. It lets you take it anywhere you can take a wheelchair (which is many more places than you can take a stroller).

I can't quote Zoobie for some reason, but the pinned Wish thread and dis!abilities forum on disboards are probably well worth checking out for specific info. 

• Like 1

There's a Make a Wish forum on DisBoards. I'd head there for the specifics. There are also a good deal of trip reports which might help you plan or at least visualize things.

I hope you enjoy your trip. :grouphug:

ETA: Sorry, it's a pinned thread not a separate forum http://www.disboards.com/forums/disabilities.20/

Thank you for sharing-- it's long and looks like it has a lot of info! If I can wade through. ;)

Does your DD have any favorite princesses or other characters?  That could help us suggest a nice meal at Disney.  GKTW Village has some wonderful things including food.  The ice cream place there is well known among a few wish kids I have interacted with.  The village is really nice.  

She loves Elsa and Jasmine. I've heard great things about the ice cream, as well. 

The Genie Pass is essentially like having a Fast Pass for every ride - you go to the Fast Pass line without having to reserve it. So you may have to do some limited waiting, but never in the standby line, which will save a ton of time. 

OK, thank you! 

At Universal (MAW will give you lots of tickets, lol), they generally put you straight to the front of even the fast pass line. 

Is Universal OK with littler kids? They do all like Harry Potter. 

If you can spare the money, buy extra MAW t-shirts for the family (usually they will give one each). This makes it easier for workers to spot you and offer help, etc. 

Good tip, thank you!

There is lots to do at the hotel if all day in the parks isn't feasible. 

I think my eldest could do the parks all day, but the Wish kid really just can't. We will need a fair amount of down time. 

I can't remember how they worked out dates with my cousin, but I would imagine they would be very happy for you to go in an off season time (whenever school is in session!). I urge you to do this! The crowds will be considerably lower and the weather will be considerably better in October, November, early December. I would pull kids out of school for this if at all possible, it makes THAT much of a difference. 

They're all homeschooled, so off season is perfect for us.

January has okay-ish weather usually, not as nice as fall, and also lots of Brazilian tour groups that you will want to avoid. February, March, and April have lots of busy dates with Mardi Gras, spring breaks, and special events. May is not AS hot as full summer but still very, very hot. June through September is usually unbearably hot (says the person from Louisiana). 

Are there any times you can't swim? She really loves to swim. 

October can be quite warm sometimes, but not hot, and it's usually lovely. The Halloween decorations and stuff will be going on. 

November, also usually lovely weather except sometimes a bit cold instead of a bit warm, lol.  It's lower crowds except for Thanksgiving week (and the bracketing weekends).  They start adding Christmas decorations in this month, and they will all be up at Magic Kingdom for sure by the time of the first Very Merry Christmas party, which is early November this year. I think the light show at Hollywood Studios is generally up at the same time, and it's amazing. 

I don't think the Santas from around the world hit Epcot until after Thanksgiving, though. They wear costumes and tell stories of the traditions in their land. 

The first two weeks in December are usually quite good crowd-wise. We've worn shorts in December, we've worn sweatshirts in December, but it's never unbearably hot or cold. 

Pop Warner week is always in December, but that affects the food courts and pools at the resorts much more so than the parks. Staying at MAW, I wouldn't worry about it at all. 

Those are the main dates and events I can remember offhand. Do always check for a special event before picking dates, because The Mouse is always up to something! 

When you have a better idea of when you are going, it will be easier to make touring plans for the parks. 

I replied in the body-- but thanks, a lot of good info!!

We have done 2 MAW trips.  We did one in early December and that was GREAT.  It was a tad cold for Florida standards but WARM for us from Michigan.  The other one we did in March and that was good too.  Given a choice though I would do the early Dec one again.

Can you swim in December there?

With our MAW trip we got cash to spend for meals in the parks.  It was more than enough so that we used some of it and went to the Arabian Nights dinner show as my girls are horse lovers.  In the parks I would start out with 2-3 kids meals and one adult meal if you do quick service and that will likely be more than enough.  I never bought anything for my self as everyone else always had left overs.

I think we'd do some meals at GKTW. Did you stay there?

Oh, cool!!

I am not sure what special needs your 8 year old has but one of the best things we did was get a wheelchair for our wish kid.  We just did one wheelchair and our girls took turns riding in it.  They are fully mobile but fatigue easily and it is a LOT of walking. They never use a wheelchair around here but it was suggested to us and was a huge help..........you get a few looks when your child hops in and out of it but mitochondrial issues are pretty invisible.  You might want a double stroller for your younger 2 as well.  MAW had the wheelchair waiting for us when we got to our room.

I was thinking of renting a bigger double stroller and they could all take turns using it-- she's pretty tiny to need an actual wheelchair but does tire easily. 

I have to head out soon but would love to try to answer any other questions you might have.

Thank you!!

Thanks, I might PM you to pick your brain if that's OK. 

They gave my cousin money for park meals as well, but that might vary by local chapter. I know I've heard of some extras varying by family, I don't know if it's due to local chapter or just what they have available at the time. My cousin had lots of extras and didn't spend a dime, but I don't know if that can be counted on. 

Front of the line isn't officially offered but often unofficially happens. That and shows and stuff are great reasons to wear the shirts every day if you can! Extra visibility. 

They will put Wish families at the Wish resort unless it's full, which is generally ideal bc they are so used to dealing with medical needs and have so many activities and things. 

I've also heard about a "stroller as wheelchair" option that is good for some kids who have a specialty stroller or just need transport and not a wheelchair in particular. It lets you take it anywhere you can take a wheelchair (which is many more places than you can take a stroller).

I can't quote Zoobie for some reason, but the pinned Wish thread and dis!abilities forum on disboards are probably well worth checking out for specific info. 

Thank you!! The stroller as wheelchair would work perfectly, she's pretty tiny to need an actual chair. 

I'm on my phone and trying to scroll...

The pools at the WDW resorts are open year-round and "heated," but they're not heated to a degree that I would swim when it's chilly outside. I have thin, Southern blood. ;) There always seem to be Canadians (we have no idea actually) in the pools even when we have on gloves! I don't know about the MAW resort though, so that's probably not helpful. The weather varies so much. We've been sweating in t-shirts or digging gloves out of the car in December and January. One year it was so hot we went to a waterpark.

Easywdw has great crowd calendars and ranks parks each day by which should be the best.

The Disney double strollers aren't comfortable and don't provide back support really. Have you seen a photo of one? There are private services that rent doubles for much cheaper and will deliver to your resort. They mostly use Baby Jogger City Minis I think.

Oh, sure! They have a Dr. Seuss section with rides at one park and a Curious George playground at the other, and some other kid-friendly stuff as well. Dr. Seuss is really only like 4 actual rides, but lots of fun stuff to look at and of course plenty of fun stuff to buy. 

Mythos restaurant is great to visit for atmosphere alone. The Three Broomsticks is cool-ish in a fangirl kind of way, but our food was pretty disappointing. England in Epcot has much better fish and chips at a considerably lower price. 

As far as swimming, it's often quite warm even in December, but they do have cold fronts. It would be highly unusual to be too cool to swim in October, and pretty unusual in November, but again not unheard of. It also depends on what you consider too cool to swim: we have never seen an empty pool at a Disney resort! Lots of kids don't care, apparently. Maybe rash guards or such would help with warmth if it's a bit cool?  

Disney resort pools are heated (a bit, lol), but I'm not sure about the Wish resort. 

I'm on my phone and trying to scroll...

The pools at the WDW resorts are open year-round and "heated," but they're not heated to a degree that I would swim when it's chilly outside. I have thin, Southern blood. ;) There always seem to be Canadians (we have no idea actually) in the pools even when we have on gloves! I don't know about the MAW resort though, so that's probably not helpful. The weather varies so much. We've been sweating in t-shirts or digging gloves out of the car in December and January. One year it was so hot we went to a waterpark.

Easywdw has great crowd calendars and ranks parks each day by which should be the best.

The Disney double strollers aren't comfortable and don't provide back support really. Have you seen a photo of one? There are private services that rent doubles for much cheaper and will deliver to your resort. They mostly use Baby Jogger City Minis I think.

I have pretty thin blood, too, I don't do cold and swimming! 

OK, the Disney strollers do look worse. I will look into renting one or bringing one...

Thanks!

Oh, sure! They have a Dr. Seuss section with rides at one park and a Curious George playground at the other, and some other kid-friendly stuff as well. Dr. Seuss is really only like 4 actual rides, but lots of fun stuff to look at and of course plenty of fun stuff to buy. 

Mythos restaurant is great to visit for atmosphere alone. The Three Broomsticks is cool-ish in a fangirl kind of way, but our food was pretty disappointing. England in Epcot has much better fish and chips at a considerably lower price. 

As far as swimming, it's often quite warm even in December, but they do have cold fronts. It would be highly unusual to be too cool to swim in October, and pretty unusual in November, but again not unheard of. It also depends on what you consider too cool to swim: we have never seen an empty pool at a Disney resort! Lots of kids don't care, apparently. Maybe rash guards or such would help with warmth if it's a bit cool?  

Disney resort pools are heated (a bit, lol), but I'm not sure about the Wish resort. 

Thanks for the heads up on Epcot!!