Menu

Singapore science grade 7 and above

I have used the high school level "Physics Matters" worktext. It is ok but it is heavily geared towards test prep for the Singapore exit exam in the subject. So it's kind of like a mix between a traditional textbook and a SAT Physics Subject test prep workbook.

I would say that the difficulty level is in between Hewitt's "Conceptual Physics" and a regular algebra-based high school physics textbook.

We tried science matters and chemistry matters for my kids one year. Neither worked well, probably because of issues mentioned by CW and also it just seemed to be clearly part of an integrated program with parts we did not and could not have. It just didn't quite stand alone. Plus sm seemed frustratingly surface-level and my kid wanted more depth, while cm made huge leaps in understanding without teaching the info needed for those leaps. My younger adores Discovering Mathematics so we had high hopes, but we ditched both within a few months. Going to introductory level nonmajor college texts is the best thing we ever did for science.