Menu

Exercise Thread: August 23rd - 29th

rieshy

Thanks for starting the new thread, rieshy!

More physical labour this weekend with painting (easy) and installing laminate flooring (HARD!) in the master bedroom and ensuite. I walked the dog several times for a rest and chance to stand up straight. ;)  We just need to cut and install a couple last boards and we`ll be finished!  Then the staircase project gets the primary focus. No rest for the weary, it seems. 

I`m playing mixed doubles tennis this evening! 

• Like 3

I miss Negin:)

I miss you also.  :grouphug: I'll try to post regularly once again. I'm not gone completely. I just don't seem to have as much time to post like before. Thank you for starting this thread. 

I miss you all.  :grouphug:

• Like 5

I bought these for running.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QTLU63A/ref=gp_aw_ybh_l_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=5ZN10Z6SCRMSWC16MF0V

I didn't have anything that fit anymore.

Nice Slache!

Today is first day of tutorial.  I teach 3 courses am looking forward to meeting my students.  Maybe a run when I get home or maybe a nap:)  

Tonight: one martial arts class.

• Like 1

I bought these for running.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QTLU63A/ref=gp_aw_ybh_l_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=5ZN10Z6SCRMSWC16MF0V

I didn't have anything that fit anymore.

They look really nice. I have a pair that cover the knees, and they are great for colder weather (also very nice when kneeling a lot while flooring! ;) ). Ones that stop above the knee are good when it`s a little warmer. Full length tights for winter. 

• Like 1

Tried out a new yoga class. It was.... well, a little more taxing than the stretches I do while waiting for the kettle to boil, but not much.  Nice views from the studio.

Didn't walk far at lunchtime, because I needed to eat a decent lunch before the strenuous yoga class I hoped to have.  Walked the dog tonight: wore my reflective tabard for walking around the village roads.  The year has turned and the evenings are getting dimsy.

Got in 2 hours of mixed doubles tennis this evening. It was great, except for my sore forearms from removing carpet staples all afternoon. I believe that carpet layers must have the moto, "when in doubt, use more staples!" ;)

Laura - hope you find the yoga class of your dreams soon! 

• Like 1

I reintroduced gluten night before last and couldn't do anything yesterday. My nausea was back, I had a headache, my skin itched everywhere and I was exhausted. I'm lucky that it could all be tied to one food.

So I didn't work out yesterday. I found a resource that's about 40 minutes of core work intended to strengthen the lower back so I'm doing that today and if I like it I'll try to do it once a week.

Oh, and my capris will be here today. They were $10.88 when I bought them which is why I linked them, but now they're like $20. Bummer.

• Like 2

Laura, I hope you find a yoga class.

Slache, That stinks that gluten is giving you that reaction. :(  It's hard to cut out gluten. 

Yesterday I did a full Ashtanga Primary practice.  Today I ran 3 miles and then did the sun salutes and standing postures of Primary.  Now to clean my house, which is not as enjoyable as yoga or running. 

• Like 3

Monday - yoga, bodylastics while waiting for dudeling to do MA.  (so, completely portable)

Tuesday - yoga, 16 minutes on the Nordic track. (still trying to get it fixed up so it's working right. . . :glare: )

I've decided to add in the bodylastics and NT to increase strength building.  (which should also benefit yoga)  with the NT at an incline, it works on abdominals too.

• Like 3

Laura, I hope you find a yoga class.

Slache, That stinks that gluten is giving you that reaction. :( It's hard to cut out gluten.

Yesterday I did a full Ashtanga Primary practice. Today I ran 3 miles and then did the sun salutes and standing postures of Primary. Now to clean my house, which is not as enjoyable as yoga or running.

I'm not bummed. All this really means is that I have to have gluten free pancakes on Sunday mornings, and opt out of our Saturday night pizza night. We don't really eat bread aside from the kids peanut butter sandwiches. Not to mention that my symptoms are something I could get over if I wanted to eat something I shouldn't. A lot of people have horrible, painful symptoms but mine weren't that bad. Besides, it's a good time to be gluten free. :)

• Like 1

I LOVED LOVED LOVED my core workout! Lots of stretching, lots of pulsing, some cardio and some strength. I feel great and my tummy already looks smaller from being pulled in. I've been so careful with my core since my injury that it's been neglected. See, this is why we strength train. It makes it easier to lie about how hot we are. :lol:

• Like 2

Tennis was disappointing tonight. It rained right when our team arrived at the courts. We tried to dry them out, but there were still lots of slippery parts. I played 3 games and then the match got called off. The bonus was my partner and I went for wine and snacks at the local pub while we waited for our teammate (and ride) to finish his game. Nice end, but I would have preferred to finish the match. 

Otherwise, I did a couple dogs walks. Hopefully more exercise tomorrow.

Worst. first run. ever.

I got half way down the block and my pants fell down. I assumed it was because my phone was clipped to them so I carried it. I was at the second block and they fell down again, but this time they took my panties down too! What the crap? So there you have it. I ran 2 blocks and then turned around and walked home.

I'm returning the capris which seemed to fit fine and getting something else. On the bright side my run was super easy so I'm starting week 2 next week. Maybe 3.

Tennis was disappointing tonight. It rained right when our team arrived at the courts. We tried to dry them out, but there were still lots of slippery parts. I played 3 games and then the match got called off. The bonus was my partner and I went for wine and snacks at the local pub while we waited for our teammate (and ride) to finish his game. Nice end, but I would have preferred to finish the match. 

Otherwise, I did a couple dogs walks. Hopefully more exercise tomorrow.

May the sun shine:)

Worst. first run. ever.

I got half way down the block and my pants fell down. I assumed it was because my phone was clipped to them so I carried it. I was at the second block and they fell down again, but this time they took my panties down too! What the crap? So there you have it. I ran 2 blocks and then turned around and walked home.

I'm returning the capris which seemed to fit fine and getting something else. On the bright side my run was super easy so I'm starting week 2 next week. Maybe 3.

I got a chuckle out of this post.  I hope you find something a bit more... fitted?

Wednesday: 5 hours on the mats at MMA.  I had a blast and am very very sore.

Today: 5K walk with dh.  Tonight I have one short MMA class followed by kettle bell class.  I've not been doing kettle bell regularly this summer and can feel the difference.  I'm looking forward to Friday as a rest day!!!

• Like 2

rieshy - Hopefully a portion of your 5 hrs on the mats was resting. ;)  That`s a lot of mat time.

Got in the first two dog walks this morning. Almost got hit by a car at a 4-way stop. :cursing:  I`m going to avoid cross-walks and just j-walk for a while. At least there are no expectations that the cars will stop, and the drivers are more predictable on straight stretches of road. 

Played some great tennis this evening for an hour. 

Did some sanding on the stairs with a power sander this afternoon. It was really fun, and surprisingly tiring. It takes a certain amount of muscle strength to hold the sander, and the vibrating does fatigue the arms. I'm glad the tennis was only 1 hour, or my arms would have protested. ;)

I only have time for one Classical Stretch routine this morning. Went for a walk with dh on the beach yesterday & saw the absolute most beautiful sunset ever. I wish that we'd brought our camera. We'll most likely be going again this evening.

Good morning ladies. I seem to have busied away a whole week. I've run a couple times and done yoga a couple times. Between hospitals and ER visits ( my dad), sports, school, co-op and meetings that's it. Slache-you made me laugh this morning. Does it help to know your pain brought joy to others. ;) have a great weekend all.

• Like 1

Tunage and GPS. Hubby and I are competing, but not at the same time because the kids are in bed.

GPS I understand, but what is Tunage?

Check out the various sizes of either water bottle carriers or even smaller pouches at a running store. I bought myself a 4-bottle carrier which has a pouch for food, keys, phone. I like it when I run with my ds, as I can carry water for both of us. It`s quite comfortable and great in the summer when hydrating is really important.

rieshy - Hopefully a portion of your 5 hrs on the mats was resting. ;)  That`s a lot of mat time.

Got in the first two dog walks this morning. Almost got hit by a car at a 4-way stop. :cursing:  I`m going to avoid cross-walks and just j-walk for a while. At least there are no expectations that the cars will stop, and the drivers are more predictable on straight stretches of road. 

From the woman who plays hours of tennis and remodels her house in a single bound?  Nope- all work and play, no rest.  I assist for the first 3 hours and 45 minutes then the last hour and a half are adult class.  But the assist is very active- I work-out alongside the kids, it's the best job I've ever had.  The only down side is the no breaks with my tiny bladder.   

Good morning! Can I join in?

I work out to Fitness Blender videos. I started their mass building program this week and so I've been lifting heavier than usual. I'm still so sore from Tuesday's lower body workout that today's was not as effective as it should have been.

Hi there, I love Fitness Blender.  Especially in theory:)  I need to get back to doing their abs workouts again. 

Today is supposed to be a rest day but my dh wanted to walk so we did a 5K walk this morning.  Gorgeous and cool outside.  

• Like 1

GPS I understand, but what is Tunage?

Check out the various sizes of either water bottle carriers or even smaller pouches at a running store. I bought myself a 4-bottle carrier which has a pouch for food, keys, phone. I like it when I run with my ds, as I can carry water for both of us. It`s quite comfortable and great in the summer when hydrating is really important.

Music. :D

I've done a better job ignoring you today.  I've done yoga, and 16 minutes on the NT.  I have plans to do another 5 - 10 minutes on the thing . . . . and dd is having a chocolate mousse tasting party at her house tonight . . . . just what I need. . . .chocolate. . . .

• Like 2

I've done a better job ignoring you today.  I've done yoga, and 16 minutes on the NT.  I have plans to do another 5 - 10 minutes on the thing . . . . and dd is having a chocolate mousse tasting party at her house tonight . . . . just what I need. . . .chocolate. . . .

What's a NT?

What's a NT?

Nordic track cross country ski machine - made by Nordic track NOT icon fitness junk (who bought them out in 98).

they were the predecessor to ellipticals.

I have it set to maximum incline as that will also work the abdominals.  because the only good ones on the market are used, they frequently need tune ups and some work.  but when they're running well, it's fabulous.

• Like 1

I don't think I have posted on this thread before, but I need the motivation! I signed up for a half marathon in late a October, so I'm continuing my running schedule through the fall. Today I ran six miles, but it was really humid and smoky. Bad combo! But the cold front coming through the PNW is supposed to quench fires and push the smoke out of the region. I'm hoping for Smoke free runs next week!

• Like 4

Very gentle yoga class last night. Despite my whingeing, I am appreciating this teacher's attention to detail. Only 9,000 steps today. One foot is very slightly sore, so I am taking it easy. New Vinyasa Flow class in the morning if I wake up. Then home to brunch made by Husband. I finally managed to find him buttermilk for pancakes.

• Like 2

Monday: 10,000 steps inc Zumba

Tues: NROL4L strength training. Hurt my shoulder

Wed: 10,000 steps inc Zumba

Thur: Shoulder felt better so NROL4L and hurt it again. Ok. Time to let it rest for a week or so I guess. Got 10000 steps in. 

Fri: 10000 steps and stretching in pool. 

AND I did a fitness test for a timed 1 mile walk. I did it in 13 min 19 sec which puts me in the good range for 18-29 and in the excellent range for all older age groups. I am in my late 50s so that made me  :party:

• Like 3

I don't think I have posted on this thread before, but I need the motivation! I signed up for a half marathon in late a October, so I'm continuing my running schedule through the fall. Today I ran six miles, but it was really humid and smoky. Bad combo! But the cold front coming through the PNW is supposed to quench fires and push the smoke out of the region. I'm hoping for Smoke free runs next week!

Welcome, and hope the air cleans up soon. Is this your first half, or one of many?

I'm just a dork.

I'm probably more dorkish. I was thinking tonage in my head - as in a ton of something. My decade old flip phone doesn't have music, or GPS or anything cool, and I don't run with it. It didn't occur to me that people use their phone for more than making calls. 

• Like 1