Menu

What is the difference between Saxon 8/7 and

KSGrace

lol, my ds is finishing Saxon 76 right now and I have 87 and Algebra 1/2 in front of me. We've always planned to complete both books but most people go straight into Algebra 1/2. The biggest difference I see is that 87 is in the style of 54-76 while Algebra 1/2 has a smaller font and is in a more 'mature' style. Also, in the last lesson, Alg. 1/2 has the child solving: 15-6+2x-4=3x+16-5x+14 while 87 only goes as far as:.4n+5.2=12. Alg. 1/2 also requires the use of a protractor and compass. 87 does not. Personally, I ended up with 2 years of pre-algebra (due to a move) and thrived in high school math. Thus, my reasoning behind 2 years of pre-algebra.

HTH!

Well, to be fair, I will have to look at 8/7 and Alg 1/2 -- it might be the 1/2 I will skip.

I cannot remember, as my oldest who used it is now graduated, and it has been some time since I used it.

Of course, if either of the youngest struggles, I'll probably use both, but my oldest learned so very little that he could not have learned by skipping one. Yes, to me, it was very redundant and frustrating for him to have to do so much work that was review.

Aside from that, I love Saxon and its element of review.

I checked my son's work every day, he corrected all mistakes, and I knew immediately when a concept was difficult for him. This was very different than the experience I had with math growing up.

Thanks, nestof3, that does help me make my decision. :001_smile:

Be sure to visit the Saxon homeschool website and you may even want to talk with one of their Cust Svc Reps. They have very recently revised 8/7 and their recommendations have changed

From the Saxon Website FAQ's:

What do you recommend for students after they have completed Math 7/6?

The recommended path after finishing Math 7/6 is to take Math 8/7. If your child finishes Math 8/7 with at least 80% mastery, skip ahead to Algebra 1. In previous editions, many people skipped Math 8/7 because they found it to be a weaker text than Algebra ½. In the newer third edition, pre-algebra has been added to Math 8/7, making it a much stronger book.

I had read this and just thought it may be of interest. I'd hate for you to skip the wrong book based on older editions. :)