Menu

need help with eczema on dd

Princess Ariel

DD has what I am assuming is eczema on the inside of her hands near her fingers.It's gotten pretty bad in the past week.  She has a history of it but hasn't had a flare up this bad in years, it's  cracking, weeping.  I cannot get her an appt with a dermatologist until late next week and want to know if anyone has any suggestions for what we can do in the mean time. She saw the ped last month and she suggested cortisone cream. She has been using cortaid regularly but it isn't really helping. She has been gluten free for several years.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance as I won't be able to respond for a while!

The OTC product that helps me the most is Vaseline with Cocoa Butter. Use at night under gloves and a thin coat during the day. It's also imperative when it gets that bad that I keep my hands out of water, especially while bathing. For showering I wear latex or vinyl gloves and wrap the wrists with waterproof tape. Anytime it even starts to flare up, I'm back to wearing gloves. 

The Rx that helps me the most is a prescription cortisone cream, Desoximetasone Cream 0.25%, used sparingly. When it gets that bad Cortaid does almost nothing.

I've tried a lot of things throughout my lifetime, and this is the only course that really does the job for me.

DD has what I am assuming is eczema on the inside of her hands near her fingers.It's gotten pretty bad in the past week.  She has a history of it but hasn't had a flare up this bad in years, it's  cracking, weeping.  I cannot get her an appt with a dermatologist until late next week and want to know if anyone has any suggestions for what we can do in the mean time. She saw the ped last month and she suggested cortisone cream. She has been using cortaid regularly but it isn't really helping. She has been gluten free for several years.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance as I won't be able to respond for a while!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Maybe grain-free, not just gluten-free? And eliminate dairy?

Also, have you tried using aloe vera gel? Sometimes that helps skin issue.

• Like 2

I am sorry for your dd; eczema is miserable.

My dermatologist suggested leaving a bottle of simple, Jergens lotion (the kind without fragrance) at hand-washing sinks.  It should be mixed in with soap sometimes or used as a follow up to hand-washing (Make sure to rinse the lotion off and dry hands.).  She also said to eliminate antibacterial soaps.  Her advice helped me a lot.      

• Like 1

I agree with doing a dairy elimination trial. (Sometimes soy too...) It takes about 6 weeks for dairy to get out of your system. The ped can do a blood test to see if she's allergic to dairy, but sometimes a sensitivity is enough to cause/exacerbate the eczema and that doesn't show up on a blood test.

• Like 2

The Rx ointment I use is triamcinolone .1%. When I have a flare up it knocks it back down in a day or two. My primary care doctor prescribes it for me--eczema is common enough that if you can't get into a dermatologist your regular doctor should be able to help with a basic Rx. Between flare ups I like Neutrogena's hand cream--the Norwegian fisherman's formula one. And cotton gloves at night after moisturizing as a previous poster mentioned.

• Like 1

The Rx ointment I use is triamcinolone .1%. When I have a flare up it knocks it back down in a day or two. My primary care doctor prescribes it for me--eczema is common enough that if you can't get into a dermatologist your regular doctor should be able to help with a basic Rx. Between flare ups I like Neutrogena's hand cream--the Norwegian fisherman's formula one. And cotton gloves at night after moisturizing as a previous poster mentioned.

I don't know about others, but I will mention that the Neutrogena burns like crazy when I'm flared up!

• Like 2

Did you mention to the derm that her hands are weeping? I would think there would be an emergency appt or two in the office...

Have you tried Aquaphor? The one in the tube (for some reason we can't use the tub) is the only non-prescription moisturizer dd7 can use that doesn't make things worse. Whatever it is that helps, I hope you find something!

• Like 1

Thank so much everyone for your replies. Trying to follow this on my phone while out of town for a few days

. She was allergic, according to a blood test, to wheat, dairy, soy, peanuts, and a few other things back in 2007. She had a peanut challenge a few years ago and the allergist said fine to have them, then she broke out in a similar rash to this one a few days later. Scared me so I have kept her off of those and wheat also even though Dr said it was fine. I didn't have a lot of confidence in him.

Anyhow, I will keep trying to get her off of dairy (young teen now). May call the ped long distance to see if she can prescribe something for when we get home. I picked up a few of the creams you suggested along with gloves.

Don't think she will be in the pool!

Any more suggestions are most appreciated!!

I've lived with excema for four decades. It runs in our family. It tends to be genetic.

Best advice I got in my 20's:

short shower/bath

Use Lubriderm ALL OVER when you get out while you're basically still wet -- only 50 percent dry. Every single time you shower.

When you wash your hands in bathroom or at kitchen sink use a skin softener cleanser like Cetaphyl. Nothing harsher.

I would take her to your normal ped. and get hydrocortisone to reduce this current flare up -- and then do all of the above for the rest of her life.

Alley

• Like 2

DD has what I am assuming is eczema on the inside of her hands near her fingers.It's gotten pretty bad in the past week.  She has a history of it but hasn't had a flare up this bad in years, it's  cracking, weeping.

Try googling "Dyshidrotic Eczema".  I think this is what I have, and I blame the very hot weather we've been having this summer.  I tried using some of my daughter's eczema ointment for the specified time but it came right back when I stopped using it.

I've found that my hands/fingers are worse when I use hand lotion at night...I think it makes my hands sweaty and then I wake up itching like crazy in the middle of the night.  So, during the day I'll use some hand lotion but what has been most soothing is aloe vera gel, like Ellie suggested already.  Don't make the same mistake that I did, though, and buy Banana Boat Aloe Vera Gel that's sold with sun lotions at the grocery store.  That stuff has alcohol listed as one of the first ingredients and is too drying!  I bought some Lily of the Desert brand aloe vera gel at Whole Foods and keep it in the refrigerator...it feels so good cold!  I often apply it and then hold my hands near the fan while it dries.  I also apply this at bedtime...no more hand lotion for me until this hot weather is over! 

I've also been doing Vaseline "masks" while I watch tv at night, but it's messy.   I rest my hands on two paper towels and then gently blot it all off after a half an hour or longer.   This short-term but intensive moisturizing is working well for me.  

I'm sorry for your daughter! 

• Like 1

I would call the dermatologist back and say the cortisone isn't cutting it and ask for a prescription to be called in- something good. You probably won't have to come back in the office for that. My DD has all kinds of prescriptions for her eczema- we have stuff for when it's not that bad, stuff for when it's super bad, and stuff for when it's super bad and we can't keep using the same stuff! Make sure it's a cream and not a liquid or ointment because the liquids burn when there are open sores.

When my DD starts weeping, OTC stuff won't get it under control. My first concern is avoiding infection so I wouldn't waste time with OTC stuff and open sores.

Has there been anything new going on? If she's a young teen, it could be hormonal changes and new allergy tests may be warranted. 

Our favorite OTC lotion is vanicream. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update: thanks again for all of your suggestions. We ended up seeing the dermatologist and she said it was eczema along with a bacterial infection. She prescribed Mupirocin for the infection and Triamcinolone for the eczema. She recommended using either Cetaphil, Vanicream, or CeraVe for creams. I had tried a few others but I think because the OTC cortisone cream wasn't strong enough it didn't really help. Hopefully this will get the eczema under control and clear the infection or back we will go to the dermatologist.Thanks again! I will still try to figure out some dietary issues, etc.

Did your Dr tell you how the eczema and bacterial infection work against each other? My DD had a horrible case a year or so ago and the Dr said the eczema cream can make you more susceptible to skin infections and that the antibiotic can exacerbate eczema so it is tricky. We would use one at a time starting with the antibiotic. When we saw the eczema worsening, we'd stop for a day, then use the eczema cream until the bacterial infection began getting worse. It was back and forth for probably 2 months. 

• Like 1

Dd had some nasty eczema flare-ups when we lived in NY- due, I am pretty sure,  to the harshness of the long and cold winters. Her dermatologist finally gave her clobetasol cream. It's pretty strong, nasty stuff, but worked like a charm. Since we have been back in VA, she hasn't (hooray!) had to use it even once!

(Sorry, I know this doesn't really help until you can get to a dr.! We tried just about every otc option, and nothing worked. Sometimes, you just have to get out the big guns.)

• Like 1

My son has a specific form of hand eczema called Dyshidrotic Eczema. It has a blister and then peeling phase (often both in different places at once for mine anyway). It can be on feet too, but he has it on his hands only, mostly around his fingers. It can look really horrible.

If this looks like what she has: typical allergies are probably not the cause. I don't think there is any one trigger, though sometimes soaps with certain ingredients can be a problem (he uses Vanicream, which is made for allergy people).  Heat/sweat and water definitely aggravate my sons.

He gets some relief washing them twice a day with baking soda (weirdly/but seems to help a fair number of DE people). He takes zyrtec daily, and that probably helps them not to itch. He uses Waxalene at night (after the baking soda), and occasionally Vanicream during the day. Dermatologists tend to prescribe steroids. I'm gathering from adults that they use them temporarily when absolutely needed because stuff tends to come back worse after for many people when stopped if it helps at all. I know it's not a cure. It's a really frustrating thing to deal with. I hope it's not DE for her!

ETA: I missed your update. I'm glad it's not the thing my son has!

• Like 1