Menu

Is this an adequate 10th grade schedule, IYO?

Math: Lial's Intermediate Algebra + additional practice book

Lit & Comp:  Excellence in Literature guided books and writing 

Teaching Literature through Art supp

History: K12's The American Odyssey: A History of the United States

Great Courses: The History of the United States on DVD ( 84 lectures by 3 college prof)

Biology, Holt, Rinehard, Winston (2008 version bc it's so much less expensive!)

+ study guide/ lab worksheets 

The Story of Science, Hakim  (first book linked, there are 3 texts in complete series)

Foreign Lang: Italian

Animation & Drawing - online course 

Art courses through local museum in Painting, Drawing, possibly Mixed Media

working on portfolio pieces 

PE:  .5 credit in gym time

Is this a full schedule for a 10th grader? Math and Bio are heavy lifters this year, it looks like a lot of work to me, but am I missing something or shorting him in anyway?  If you were to add something what would you add? 

He wants to go into Animation as a career (he's a talented artist) so he has BFA goals.

Thank you.

Everything looks ok to me, but I just wanted to mention that the Hakim book is upper elementary/lower middle school level.  If you're looking for a high school/adult level history of science text, SWB's new book is good.

Good to know. Thanks for the feedback! He doesn't really need it for his Science credit since he's doing Bio, I thought he'd just like it. I'm using it as my 4th grader's science this year, and making my 15 yo read it to/with him, so I'm counting it as a supp in hopes he gets something out of it, along the way. :)

It looks like 7.5 credits, so I think it's a full load. The History of Science, as mentioned above, should be an easy course for a 10th grader, so you could make that one .5 credits if you want and still have a full load. I do think it's a course worth taking.

The Lial's algebra is a heavy hitter on its own, with tons of practice problems.

Pick one history.

I also strongly advise against making him be "involved" with the 4th grader's science. It's way too big of an age difference. Sometimes we moms/parent see something we wish we had used with our older one(s), but we just have to let it go and move on. Your ds will get plenty of science information and exposure with his high school studies.

I agree that you won't need extra practice problems with Lial's, but I use the great courses lectures to supplement a textbook. We found them very useful to be used this way.

I agree, leave behind the lower level science, just do Biology.

I get:

1 math

1 history

1 science

1 English

1 foreign language

1 art (2, .5 credits worth maybe)

.5 PE

6.5 credits?

• Like 1