Menu

Bilingual homeschooling

Guest Rlk

We are just starting our homeschooling journey with my son who is about to turn 5 (kindergarten). I'm wondering how your day is like? Do you homeschool in both languages? How does it work for you? How you are able preserve the minority language? All your thoughts and advice is appreciated. Would love to hear especially from Russian speakers, since this is the language we speak at home.

I just realised I should post here instead of on the general board, in case other people want to find the thread later, so here is a C and P from general.

Hello!

We are bilingual French/English.  English is my language, French is DH's, and we live in a French speaking country.  

We do like this:

- We teach reading simultaneously in both languages.  I do an English reading lesson during the day, and DH does a French reading lesson in the evenings.  

During the day, the kids are with me, so our main language is English.  I make sure to put on French audio books and French movie soundtracks often during the day.  Once the kids are reading well in French, they do their copywork about 50/50 French/English, and we start dictations in French when they are writing with some ease.  

When DH is home, French is our family language.  

Ms son, who is entering 3rd grade, does the following in French:

- math review workbook, French LA review workbook, French spelling workbook, French dictations

- 1 summary paragraph each for Science and History, from a French text

- French reading lesson and read-aloud in evenings with DH

- free reading, audio books

And in English:

- his main math lesson

- his main science and history lessons

- most of his writing instruction and fictional writing

- English spelling and grammar

- free reading

- read aloud

I put most of our LA emphasis on French because we are subject to inspections and testing where we live.  But often, I give the instruction in English.  :-)  

DD, going into first:

In French:

- reading lesson and read aloud with DH

- early dictation skills in French

- French math review workbook

- French spelling workbook

- copywork

In English:

- main content subject lessons

- most writing

- math lesson

- reading lessons

Grammar is really more like "comparative grammar"- I try to pull examples from both languages for concepts.

I hope that helps!