Menu

When you try contact the school counselor on August 14th....

In the middle of registration and orientation week and she still has the automatic out of the office until August 10th reply still on, both on her email and her phone. School starts on the 19th and the 17th is a professional development day. I need one class change done. Somehow these messages don't inspire a lot of confidence in me. Hoping that I am proven wrong.

I would just go over to the school. I have often used the trick of being physically present (with smile, but persistent) to get help. "That's ok, I don't mind waiting" seems to get results faster rather than slower, in my experience.

Sorry that you are going through this.

I did try that yesterday (registration) and today (orientation) but the office doors were strategically locked!

I will try again on Tuesday if I haven't had any satisfactory replies by then.

She might have had to report back to work but have been sent to all day in-service training meetings. That is how I am spending the next Monday through Thursday next week. So I will be back to work but I won't be at a school site until after the mandatory trainings are over. 

Last year I tried to bring my laptop to squeeze in some emails and was told not to have my laptop open. They wanted us all to only focus on the training. 

Our counselors at the middle and high schools have tables set up and long lines to see them during registration and orientation. They have always been present to discuss schedule and class issues. I thought most schools were like this since it has been this way in three different districts that we've had experience with. I would have a problem with not being able to see them and discuss the issues.

This is the middle school. Students get their class list and books on registration day. They get their actual schedules on the first day of school. I don't know why it's done this way. At the high school, students get their schedules during registration and you can request your changes there and then.