Menu

Plague PBL from RFWP

That's a lot of acronyms in my title! I just was wondering if anyone had experience or tips for the Plague unit from Gallagher:

http://www.rfwp.com/pages/shelagh-gallagher/#book-plague-problem-studies-for-one

I ordered it, and we plan to use this year. Her one sample schedule showed a 3-week schedule with daily use. I don't plan to use it daily so we are going to spread it out a bit more. 

So, I guess I'd love to hear how it went for folks and how you scheduled it. I searched and saw lots of people buying it last year, but only a couple reports about how it was going, just went people first started.

Thanks!

Listening in as we've got it to pair with Middle Ages study this year. 

I am a bit concerned that, even though it's been stepped back/rejiggered to teach one child, it's still fairly teacher-intensive and so we'll probably get her buddy to tag along with her for collaborative thinking...good for 6th grade brains methinks :)

I did it with my 4th grader last year.  We dragged our feet in a few spots.  it took me a while to fully get into the swing of it in terms of what I had to do/prepare in order for my son to do the program.  Some of the primary sources were a little much for him so I went through things first to be able to guide him.

One thing I do suggest.  At the beginning is a painting depicting life in a middle ages town.  No matter how much you try you cannot increase the size of the picture by much and it is really hard to get the detail you need to answer the corresponding questions.  There is a clearer copy of it here (you need to scroll down) https://mrgrayhistory.wikispaces.com/UNIT+6+-+EARLY+MIDDLE+AGES

• Like 4

Thank you! I saw that picture in the sample and was wondering how we could possibly see any detail. Were you doing it concurrently with medieval studies or was this a special unit? How many days do you think you spent on it? We're spending the whole first semester 6th grade on middle ages, and I'm just trying to figure out how much of that time should be focuses on this particular study.

Thank you! I saw that picture in the sample and was wondering how we could possibly see any detail. Were you doing it concurrently with medieval studies or was this a special unit? How many days do you think you spent on it? We're spending the whole first semester 6th grade on middle ages, and I'm just trying to figure out how much of that time should be focuses on this particular study.

I was using SOTW 2 so I think when we got around to the plague chapter it was end of January/maybe beginning of February.  Right in the middle of the winter blahs, LOL.  We started the unit when we got to the plague and just continued on with it as we moved through the rest of the topics in SOTW.  

I think we pretty much stuck to the schedule.  Most days it didn't take a huge amount of time, so you can keep on keeping on with your regular curriculum and do this as well.  I don't think you have to stop everything to make time for this exclusively.

• 3 months later...

Just following up in case anyone else is interested. We started this, and DD really likes it. I think the parent guide could be better organized and structured. It's still very much structured like a school program rather than a homeschool curriculum. I am making it work because she really likes it, but it is making me a little nuts. 

We're not going nearly as quickly as the recommended schedule because we are still doing a lot of other things. But, we should still finish by the end of next month. I'll post again when we finish with more specific info.

• Like 2