Menu

Best age for neuropsychological testing

AngelaVA

Hello, I am relatively new to posting in this forum, though I have read here a fair amount. My question is about my second child, a 6 1/2 year old girl with Epilepsy. She also has a psychical disability that's difficult to define, could be mild CP, we aren't really sure yet, we may never be sure, anyway she does therapies (PT, OT) and struggles with motor skills. Both her developmental pediatrician and her neurologist are concerned about learning disabilities although she doesn't yet have any huge academic delays. She knows her letters, sounds, numbers, communicates well, struggles a bit with listening to stories but can do it and does comprehend. She is definitely a slow processor and very right brained (whole - part learner).

They have done basic IQ tests but I know they want more in depth testing. I have been hesitating because my oldest had a bunch of testing done when she was 6 due to her ADHD and it was really stressful for her and left her with long term testing anxiety and gave us very little useful information aside from her ADHD diagnosis. I don't think I want to test another 6 year old. It seems like it's just too young to get much useful information. I wonder if testing a 7 year old would be better, or if we would need to wait longer? Also when we do have testing I would like for her to have the IQ portion done with a test that's more accommodating towards a slower processer. Is there such a thing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did NP testing in June when my DD was 6.5. It was all-day testing but they gave her lots of breaks and she did great. We will probably need to do a second round of testing in a few years because there were some tests she was either too young or too language-delayed for. The testing helped clarify the reasons why she shows such inconsistent performance. We'd suspected that she was "twice exceptional" but the NP testing was good for seeing the areas of strength and weakness.

• Like 2

I think that would be a good age to get a base line test done.  In our area they often repeat them every 3 years.

For your daughter's medical stuff---has the neurologist considered a mitochondrial disorder?  My girls have a lot of the same symptoms and that is what was found to be the root cause of their issues.  There are so many different types though.

• Like 2

I think that would be a good age to get a base line test done. In our area they often repeat them every 3 years.

For your daughter's medical stuff---has the neurologist considered a mitochondrial disorder? My girls have a lot of the same symptoms and that is what was found to be the root cause of their issues. There are so many different types though.

It's a good question. I am seeing the geneticist next week for an annual follow up and it's on my list of things to ask. I feel like maybe she's too healthy to have a mitochondrial disorder though. Besides her seizures and disability she is virtually never sick. Also she's big for her age - seems like kids with mitochondrial disorder are usually small. Based on my limited knowledge anyway.

It's a good question. I am seeing the geneticist next week for an annual follow up and it's on my list of things to ask. I feel like maybe she's too healthy to have a mitochondrial disorder though. Besides her seizures and disability she is virtually never sick. Also she's big for her age - seems like kids with mitochondrial disorder are usually small. Based on my limited knowledge anyway.

My girls are small and were very sick when they were little.  Now they are very healthy in day to day life.  So many times our diagnosis has been "hmmmmm, interesting"...meaning they have no clue