Menu

What are you doing this year for self-education?

IfIOnly

I just put The 5 Love Languages of Children from my library on hold. I'm very much looking forward to starting it. All 6 copies are checked out, so I'm hoping it's as good as the reviews indicated. I'd appreciate your suggestions to add to my list this year.  Nutrition, health, history, maths, I'm open to suggestions. Books, webinars, audios. Despite my best intentions, I didn't do any of the WTM sessions this summer. I really hope they make them available after the fact. Does anyone know if that'll be the case? 

• Like 3

I have three major self-ed projects planned or in progress right now, which is probably at least one more than I have time for. I'm learning Spanish on DuoLingo and intend to follow it up with four weeks at a language school in Honduras in February/March - this is the biggest self-ed priority for me right now because I want to have my DuoLingo Spanish tree fully gilded before the trip and maybe start working on the reverse tree, so I can make the best use of the time with a 1-on-1 tutor during the trip.

The other two projects are lower priority and I get to them now and again. I bought AOPS Intro to Algebra to help me rekindle my love of math. And I'm very, very slowly working my way through the junior high and high school Excellence in Reading lists to move myself from brain candy towards literature.

• Like 3

Reading up on ADHD, taking a(nother) music theory class through Coursera at the moment. I may take another course if there's one that catches my fancy. I intend to start practicing guitar again. 

I'm seriously considering working my way through GSWL on my own, as a refresher. I took 3 years in high school, but I've forgotten most of it. I'm also thinking about reading through the R&S grammar book I bought, but won't be using (it's a truly terrible fit for DD.)

I keep thinking about getting SWB's history books. I read A Picturesque Tale of Progress last year and found it very informative (just be warned that it was written around 1920, and therefore has some rather dated views about cultures outside of western Europe.)

• Like 2

One reason I love homeschooling is all the cool things I am learning. Math is totally fun now and I get it! Yay me! I love it when my senior has a problem in math he can't work out. It gives me a chance to try the new skills in math I am learning too.

Besides watching my nerdy documentaries, I don't have a lot of time for self education. I work part time as a hospice RN and my one goal for this year is to get my hospice certification: CHPN. In order to do this I have to pass a very, very hard test. I have been a nurse for 18 years and in hospice for the last 4 so I am certain I can pass. But I have a lot of studying to do!

• Like 4

Japanese and chess and recorder

Japanese school continues. I love being around people who want to learn more.

Chess on the iPad. This one is self paced and is less likely to get done.

Recorder lessons continue. This is my time to get one on one instruction in something hard.

• Like 1

I'm starting accounting and business courses at the state university after the new year. I'm overly educated in a field I dislike, so it's time to make a change.

I want to learn guitar.

I'm learning as much as I can about OT and retained reflexes in an effort to work with my son while we sit on the waiting list for his evaluation.

• Like 2

I'm working through SWB world history books. Just finished her Story of Science but don't know that I'll tackle more than one or two of the books at this time.

I'm playing with the idea of going through the first half of wheelock's again with the Latinstudy email list if one starts up in the next 2-3 months.

Once my days are more structured and I'm spending less time outside I'll probably get back into my art journal a little more - as it is I only make time for the most basic of basics.

Over the summer I've been trying to read through Time Magazine's top 100 YA books. It's been tons of fun and there are some greally great books I haven't yet read (which surprised me). But once the summer's done I'll probably go back to more "serious" reading from my own personal To Read list. I'd still like to get to Napoleon's Buttons and The Disappearing Spoon! I'll order them through the library to hold me to it.

• Like 1

Blah.  I want to be doing some math stuff.  I never have the mental energy and the time at the same time. :p  But, in the interest of accountability...

* Reviewing calc 1 & 2

* Reading articles related to the research I want to start

I'm also trying to start a commonplace book for my general reading.  

I previously had goals relating to learning Latin, but at this point I'm just content to learn along with DD#1, who's doing Lively Latin BB1.  

• Like 1

Keeping up with Latin - DS and I will be starting Third Form Latin in a couple of weeks. And I've decided to lay off the ancient history for a while. So after I finish the book I'm on about the beginning of Islam (late antiquity, I know) I'm going to work on early 20th century history, specifically the two world wars. I've started a great book on the sinking of the Lusitania.

• Like 1

I'm learning Latin along with the kids.

Currently I'm on a Russian history binge so I've been doing quite a bit of non-fiction reading about that.

I'm also writing a book and a lit study and a church history study for our denomination.

• Like 1

I just put The 5 Love Languages of Children from my library on hold. I'm very much looking forward to starting it. All 6 copies are checked out, so I'm hoping it's as good as the reviews indicated. I'd appreciate your suggestions to add to my list this year. Nutrition, health, history, maths, I'm open to suggestions. Books, webinars, audios. Despite my best intentions, I didn't do any of the WTM sessions this summer. I really hope they make them available after the fact. Does anyone know if that'll be the case?

The recordings are available for purchase:

http://wtmonlineconference.com/product-category/2015/recorded/

• Like 1

I'm continuing my piano studies. Hope to complete another exam next year and then get my teaching certificate.

I just downloaded a great courses course, 'the art of reading' to listen to in the evenings while I clean up.

Just generally working my way through some books, some homeschooling related, some for fun.

• Like 2

I'm doing a variety of things this year...

1. Reviewing my Latin, both as prep for teaching DS and for a translation assistant application I'm working on that requires I dig a lot deeper than what is typically taught, even in Wheelock

2. Reviewing and improving my Java programming skills (see item 1)

3. Working through the Mensa Excellence in Reading program lists (doing the K-3 with DS so he can complete it too, but also doing the others on my own to catch good books I might have missed)

4. Reviewing calculus and post-calculus math classes as prep for taking additional math coursework (my degrees are all in biology, but I'm wanting to add a second set in math)

5. Planning to work through SWB's high school level ancient history text this year - bought both the book and the study guide even though I won't need them for DS for quite a while.

• Like 1

I'm also reading the Mensa List. I printed it and checked off a total of 10 books that I had already read  :mellow:  pretty pathetic. Considering how much I am trying to push the classics with my kids I figure I should probably read them also. I've read The Knowledge Deficit, Climbing Parnassus, Why Students Don't Like School, The Core and Soul of Discipline over the summer. I finally decided to just check out my books from the library and it is really helping me whittle down my reading list. I've been researching Ancient History for the school year. I wasn't exited about it at all but now after researching I got really exited to teach it. I think researching classical education at the same time helped that. I finally feel like I understand why Roman and Greek history is so important.   

• Like 1

I have three big threads I started in June-

A. Listen to all of Shakespeare's major works on audio

B. Brushing up my math skills via Kahn Academy

C. Taking several courses on trauma/drug exposure and brain development (foster parents)

I really hit a point this summer where I wanted to stop reading/learning ABOUT learning and just...learn. Ya know? So I'm on a "books/blogs/audios about homeschooling" break. In fact, my first visit to the hive this summer, hi everyone!

• Like 3

I really hit a point this summer where I wanted to stop reading/learning ABOUT learning and just...learn. Ya know? So I'm on a "books/blogs/audios about homeschooling" break. In fact, my first visit to the hive this summer, hi everyone!

This is exactly how I felt at the beginning of the summer after reading a thread about homeschooling mistakes. Somehow I allowed my self to fall in the trap of learning the How to's that I forgot to actually stop and put it to good use. I also forgot that It was just as important to educate myself as it is to educate my girls. And last but not least I have learned that mental rest is just as important as physical rest so the self education I had planned to start this summer have been on an off. This is because I burned myself out.

For self education I have been reading fables, fairy tales, listening to fiction audio books as I do not have long attention spand for fiction yet and listening to Circe podcast. I had plans to use AG or R&S for grammar but I am just enjoying learning grammar with youngest DD using Maxwell's Primary Lessons in Language & Comp.

• Like 2

I decided this summer to go back and learn the math that I never really learned as a middle and high school student. So I am beginning with Tabletclass PreAlgebra.

Reviewing Latin as my Dd moves through LfC.

Trying to get a grip on teaching writing by reading lots of books and curricula. I have Writing with a Thesis, SWB's lectures and The Lively Art of Writing. Listening to Julie Bogart and hoping to borrow TWSS.

• Like 2

-Continuing education in photography including the business side as I am in the process of starting my own photography business.

-Gardening study. Properly. Not the way I've done it in the past (ie. read, ignore, kill plants, wonder why nothing grows).

• Like 2

I was free journaling this morning looking for some clarity on what I want to study this year. It's hard because I'm at such a cross roads and holding pattern in my life right now. I have NO idea what the future will bring.

I'm thinking of studying Chemistry this year??? I cannot verbalize what is behind this choice. I don't have time to tap out backstory about Chemistry. Just...my surreal life gives me hints and prepares me for what is coming. WHAT??????

I think I'm starting Chemistry Made Simple.

• Like 1

-Continuing education in photography including the business side as I am in the process of starting my own photography business.

-Gardening study. Properly. Not the way I've done it in the past (ie. read, ignore, kill plants, wonder why nothing grows).

I stopped killing plants after completing a chapter in the old Rod and Staff middle/high school science books.

The chapter about how not to get worms was really helpful when we very suddenly adopted a worm infested puppy.

• Like 2

Amongst other things, I'm trying to learn about finance. This is hard because I haven't found a way to find it interesting yet.

I thought you said you were going to learn about your fiancee....and then I was like, wait...why would she marry someone she finds that uninteresting!! 

LOL...apparently my reading comprehension needs work

• Like 5

I thought you said you were going to learn about your fiancee....and then I was like, wait...why would she marry someone she finds that uninteresting!! 

LOL...apparently my reading comprehension needs work

A fiancee would be a very worthy study indeed. :lol:

• Like 3

1) Reading through all the Agatha Christie books in chronological order. I'm currently in 1938.  It's been an interesting look at how attitudes change during the 20s and 30s so far, and I'm excited to see how WWII changes her writing/style/themes.

2) Working through Totally Chill: My Complete Guild to Staying Cool to see if I can find things to help my easily anxious DD. 

3) Watching ALL the debates. Because it is an awesome way to work on reasoning/logic issues. And election season is like my football season. 

• Like 3

It's funny how many here are going through Latin.  I picked up Wheelock's Latin at a used bookstore and am hoping to work through it.  We also purchased Rosetta Stone Spanish and I've been going through the lessons (in my non-existent spare time).  ;)

My Hope-To-Read-List:

• How To Teach Your Children Shakespeare
  • Last Child in the Woods
  • Handbook of Nature Study (sections on trees, stars, and birds)
  • Our Mother Tongue
  • The Living Page (I'm halfway through this)
  • Consider This
  • I'm also hoping to read through their independent history and literature books

• Like 3

Wow! I am very impressed! How do you find time for all this? I am lucky if I get to read a book once in a great blue moon, and right now I am finishing a puzzle (summer passtime). I do enjoy photography and some day will find the time to learn more about it. Oh!! I enjoy studying the chemical reactions between wine, chocolate, and a confused brain at the end of a long day :) And I guess I should invest some time in learning time management

• Like 3

Reading through CM's Towards a Philosophy of Education (Volume 6).  Will begin Volume 3 after that.

Reading through most of my oldest's independent reads for the new school year.

Also, Nuture By Nature, which was helpful in deciphering our personalities.  We have a lot of variety here!

• Like 2

My Hope-To-Read-List:

• How To Teach Your Children Shakespeare

Just put this on hold at the library - thanks for the recommendation! :)

I've been giving a lot of thought on how to introduce DS9 to Shakespeare, and was planning to consult a college friend who teaches Shakespeare to children (including running a Shakespeare summer camp). If her health is up to the discussion, I'll be sure to pass along her recommendations to any that are interested.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Hey there,

Looking at the books you are reading and the activities you are engaged in, I'm wondering if there is a WTM Parents' Book Club where we can discuss ideas or points of interest in the things we're reading. I recently purchased "How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare". I'd love hear your thoughts or the more salient points that you put into your commonplace books.

So... is there a Book Club area of this forum? Anyone interested?

In preparation for SotW-3, I'm also reading HG Wells' Pocket History of the World, which I'm finding utterly fascinating and really worth the time. I also started Robinson Crusoe - another great book that somehow got overlooked in my youth.

Currently working my way through Khan Academy to brush up on my math skills. 5th grade math is kicking me right now - I know stuff like Algrebra fine, but some of the middle school stuff is things I never covered or just coasted my way through the first time. But I'm trying to work through it so I can better help dd through it. 

I also want to do some audiobook study, and I have 2 credits on Audible but not idea what to get. I'd like something that will inspire me as a homeschooling mom, and maybe help me homeschool better. I wasn't very inspired this year at our local homeschool convention - there weren't many inspiring speakers :(

Some of my summer reading:

The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families

personal Bible study: Genesis (getting ready for ancients with both girls that will do OT Bible this year.)

study with the girls: Psalm104 unit study for grades 3-6. I am learning a TON with this.  Much of the literature and poetry is pretty grown up for 3rd graders.

nature journaling with the girls: creating a nature journal and identifying species with field guides. Loving this.  Goes along with the science portions of above unit study.

Reading through:

The Well Educated Mind

History of the Ancient World

Well Trained Mind rhetoric sections

Slow and Steady Get me Ready

The Color Purple

Night and Fog

The Hiding Place

I am watching a certain YouTube homeschool vlog that is really encouraging me in a lot of homemaking things like for menus, menu planning, school and home planning, etc. School goes so much better if these basic things are going smoothly.

I am learning a lot lately about a different method of teaching my dd that struggles with spelling and writing. I plan on reading some books on Dyslexia to go along with the blog I have been reading.

I attended several workshops at convention that were inspiring and practical.

I love summer learning! I sit outside with my stack of books while dd2 plays in the sand box and on the swings and while she is napping and big kids are busy doing their own things.