Menu

Sonlight AP Psych and college board

We are new to AP courses so I'm not exactly sure if I can list an AP class on my ds transcript, we will be using David Myer's textbook "AP Psychology".  Do I need to get this approved by the college board or since the textbook is called "AP Psych" can I just list this as an AP class on the transcript?

For those of you who used SL, did you also use the Interactive Workbook and Diary that comes with the package?  

Thanks for your help,

Mary

You can't list it unless you get it approved. 

I used it and absolutely used the Workbook and Diary (dumb name). It is actually the IG if you have used other SL products. It has the schedule and daily lessons. It is like the classroom teacher part of the class - terrific. There are lots of activities that we couldn't do because we didn't have access to the right subjects (children to experiment on for example :)) but it was still very valuable.

• Like 1

You can't list it unless you get it approved. 

I used it and absolutely used the Workbook and Diary (dumb name). It is actually the IG if you have used other SL products. It has the schedule and daily lessons. It is like the classroom teacher part of the class - terrific. There are lots of activities that we couldn't do because we didn't have access to the right subjects (children to experiment on for example :)) but it was still very valuable.

Thanks for this info.  Did you feel that this curriculum prepared your dc well for the AP test?  Also, I looked at the 3 week IG sample on Sonlight's website and saw that they scheduled this class for 3 days per week. Is this because it is a lot of reading or because they are stretching it out so the class ends when the APs are offered?  I'm hesitant because I don't want to overload my sophomore.  How much time is required daily?

Thanks for your help!

My kids didn't take the AP test, they took the CLEP and were well prepared. In my opinion you would need an AP exam guide with it to help prepare for the AP essays. There isn't enough prep for those, but the book used is a popular AP text and it is well covered. We did the class in one semester and it took a little over 2 hours/ day most days. I think it could be completed in something very close to an hour a day with some extra study near test time if you are going to do the AP exam. If you do the CLEP, no extra study is needed, although a practice test or two certainly is wise.

• Like 1

My DS took this course last year as a 9th grader and loved it.  He was continually sharing with me interesting things he was reading about.  The "workbook/diary" is essential and was very engaging; he also used the Barrons AP guide.  He got a 5 on the AP test, which he felt he was well prepared for. 

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

This is an old thread, but I do not understand some things.

If you use the Sonlight AP 'prep' for Psychology, you can only call it Psychology (not AP Psychology) on the high school transcript (unless you somehow get approval from the College Board).  Then, if you take the AP Exam in May and score a 4 or a 5, would you or would you not get college credit for Psychology?  Why does Sonlight advertise it as an AP class if it is not?

Thanks for helping me understand all this as our oldest is a senior this year and I should already have had all my ducks in a row by now!!!

Brenda

The College Board only allows you to list a class as AP if the instructor has an approved syllabus for the class. A curriculum provider or textbook can't have an approved syllabus but can cover what the test tests and provide practice for the test. That is what Sonlight's program does They advertise it as Psych for AP so you know you can use it that way

If you write a syllabi and submit it and it is approved, you can list it as AP. Sonlight can be the resources you use.

The test itself also does not confer any credit in itself. The colleges use the number you got in different ways. Most give some type of credit for some scores. Some give only placement in higher classes--no credit. Some let you use the results only to meet distribution/core requirements. It varies by school and test. It varies within a school how they use each test. All the schools ds is looking for have that info on their website somewhere.

• Like 2

The College Board only allows you to list a class as AP if the instructor has an approved syllabus for the class. A curriculum provider or textbook can't have an approved syllabus but can cover what the test tests and provide practice for the test. That is what Sonlight's program does They advertise it as Psych for AP so you know you can use it that way

If you write a syllabi and submit it and it is approved, you can list it as AP. Sonlight can be the resources you use.

The test itself also does not confer any credit in itself. The colleges use the number you got in different ways. Most give some type of credit for some scores. Some give only placement in higher classes--no credit. Some let you use the results only to meet distribution/core requirements. It varies by school and test. It varies within a school how they use each test. All the schools ds is looking for have that info on their website somewhere.

This will give you further info:

https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/creditandplacement

The AP exam score is the primary factor (along with any labs for science courses) for determining college credit or advanced placement.

Thank you.  I will research out the links and closely examine all your great comments!

What if you already submitted transcripts to college admissions saying it was an AP class when it is not.  What do you do?  Call Admissions and correct the transcript?

Thank you.  I will research out the links and closely examine all your great comments!

What if you already submitted transcripts to college admissions saying it was an AP class when it is not.  What do you do?  Call Admissions and correct the transcript?

I would write a letter and send it to each college.  I did this bc, on the Common App, it asked what level each class was taught at.  We listed Stats and Psych as AP level instruction, because that answered the question correctly.  However, I sent a letter explaining that decision and why it differed from the transcript. So the letter explained that he was self studying two classes with AP level material (I may have listed the resources) and that he was planning on taking the AP test, but that the class did not use an approved AP syllabi. Does that make sense?

• Like 1