Menu

Independent activities during babysitter's stay

Hi there. Next week I'm going back to work (after 6 years!) but my 5 year old's summer vacation isn't quite over--she has 2 weeks left. My Spanish-speaking elderly in-laws are going to watch her at home while my husband & I are at work. Thus far she's had an enriching & active summer but I'm concerned about her being home-bound & bored for 2 weeks. I am therefore asking for ideas with in-house, independent & (somewhat) educational activities a bright & nearly 6 year old girl can reasonably complete during the day.

Here are my thoughts so far. My mother-in-law's Spanish will be enriching for my daughter (we're a bilingual family) & I'll leave out Spanish books to read together. I have several new audiobooks for her--she enjoys listening to stories (she'll be introduced to 'Little House' books & pioneer life during these 2 weeks). I also have a couple new movies she can watch & there's also her Ipad. I'll set up a few play dates with the neighbor's kid so she can 'get out' for a bit. I will also rotate some toys to entertain her. We have a craft box from which she can pull some projects & I can get a couple new ones from the craft store. I thought about giving her a worksheet or 2 to complete before my return. I'll also brainstorm with her ways to stay occupied. Any other ideas?

While I'm grateful for their help, I am also concerned my in-laws won't have the needed energy to keep up with an active rising 1st grader. Nevertheless it's the childcare we have agreed upon & need to make the best of it. My husband & I will give her attention & take her out in the late afternoons & evenings (we've got a few post-work day activities planned) but I am totally open to additional ideas. Many thanks!