Menu

FIRST DAY of School!

7 minutes to go until we start the New School Year! Anyone else with me?

Some of our homeschooling friends already started back one and two weeks ago. 

We did some through the summer but nothing intensive.

We've had a good breakfast and are all awake so I think that's pretty amazing in itself!

Now here's hoping we can actually stick to a schedule!

• Like 5

Today is our first day, too. Hope I don't sound like too much of a Debbie Downer, but .... I am so overhwhelmed! It is noon and we are having some time for lunch. We did math and spelling so far. That's it! And, the kids did thier fun reading. But, we have structured reading, writing, cursive, Italian, latin, logic, grammar, and history to do still. Well, that is what is on our schedule...

First day back here.

I suppose it was better than it could have been. But honestly, with so much going on with mt father in law dying, and us being out of town life 4 weekends running (or is it 3? I'm so muddled) my brain is so flustered. I'm not doing really well this morning.

I guess we gotta start somewhere. When this is all over, I hope we get in a good groove.

First day back here, and all I can say is:

DRAMA!

Could you count by twos, please?

DRAMA!

Well, you can sit there and think about it. (do something else in the room)

DRAMA!

(ignore)

DRAMA... 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. (I think I stopped her at 60)

Great! It didn't leak out your ear. Now how about counting by threes?

DRAMA!

lather, rinse, repeat :001_rolleyes: 

• Like 4

We had planned on starting back today...but since I forgot and scheduled an eye dr appointment, I decided to make today an errands-lunch out day. We hit Staples, the Indian buffet, Barnes & Noble, and Walmart.

Tomorrow we're going to the movies ($1 kid movies all summer at a local theater)....so maybe we'll just start school on Weds.

Maybe...

• Like 1

We started today. Drama must be in the air! 2.5 hours to write 8 words 5 times each. I was so happy when he was done we went to the library. 20 minutes later we left with 3 purchased books and 3 checked out books and a fair bit less hair and grey.

Came home did math, reading, spelling and enrichment and finally finished around 3 pm. THUD!!

Ps doesn't start for another month here. The library parking lot was packed to show for it.

Tomorrow is always a new day right?

• Like 1

Congratulations on everyone's new school year! We just started last week. The kids say they love Galloping the Globe, something new I added for 15 min group work each morning. They also love Story of the Orchestra and Vilvadi.

The 1st day, I gave my 9yo a math word problem involving 3 digit subtraction that required "borrowing" or "regrouping", or whatever the proper term is, along with some scratch paper. He spat out the answer verbally after a minute's pause without using paper or looking back at the problem. I thought he cheated by looking at my answer sheet. Turns out, he is turning into a mental math wiz. We spent dinner trying to stump him with difficult subtraction problems and he figured them out mentally before dh and I could figure them out on paper. ???? He wrote out the step by step process going through his head for the problems so I could attempt grasp how he was figuring it out. His method all makes sense to him, not to me, but seems to work. It's not the way I taught him to do subtraction last year. Weird. My daughter, on the other hand, has forgotten simple addition and subtraction for some reason. Back to more verbal drills on car rides.

The kids said they didn't like school come the 3rd day. I offered to put them on the schoolbus with all their neighborhood friends later this week. Thought it might be tempting for them to entertain the possibility for a moment. Then they cried, "NO!!!" and opted not to complain the rest of the week.

• Like 3

First day back here, and all I can say is:

DRAMA!

Could you count by twos, please?

DRAMA!

Well, you can sit there and think about it. (do something else in the room)

DRAMA!

(ignore)

DRAMA... 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. (I think I stopped her at 60)

Great! It didn't leak out your ear. Now how about counting by threes?

DRAMA!

lather, rinse, repeat :001_rolleyes:

ha! Us too! I wouldn't count this as the start of our school year since all we did was sit down together for five minutes to discuss the new school year (and it ended with them outside building fairy houses lol!) but when I sought out dsd8 to do math for the first time - as discussed this morning - I ended up with so much drama I just sent her to her room. Which some might say means she wins, she didn't do math, but I now technically count her as needing to make up for a day which can happen the next time the grandparents come to take all the kids fishing (don't worry, they come all the time so I'm not ruining a once-in-a-lifetime bonding experience for her).

Blah. she just came in and apologized. sincerely. maybe she can read minds? I guess we need to go do math now . . .

• Like 1

It's always so hard to jump in and start. We have kept up some subjects over the summer, and today I added a couple more things to my 8th grader's schedule so he has almost a full load (just not formal literature or LA). It's the first time I've done a true rolling start, and it is working out well so far. He has gotten to be very efficient and able to start early and bang out his work, and I'm so glad he kept doing that over the summer. He also got 2 chapters of his math book done already and a small chunk of science, so that gives us some breathing room during the year.

My younger one will be doing Calvert this year and it's the kind of thing you start doing all at once, so I am hesitating to start it. I kept him going with math and handwriting this summer, but it will feel like a lot to him to add in everything else. I might start Calvert next week with him.

Yay, today was the older 2 first day back so we were busy. I started my Ker 3 weeks ago so she was good but I am exhausted :) I even took a nap after we were all done...can't wait till my older 2 get use to it so can work more independently!

And already the schedule has been jumbled! But then again I knew it was going to be this week. There's a SeaLife Aquarium not too far from us and it's homeschool week there this week. 

This means that admission is at a price point you just don't ignore PLUS the kids get a 45-60 minute science class thrown in. This week it's about plankton. My marine bio princess is stoked,

as is my son. They both love it there and haven't been in over a year. ALSO, the swim coach at the public high school wants to meet us as dd will be swimming with the team this year. So I'm 

going to throw that into the mix today too. Now to go get myself ready for the day so we can get at least one hour of academic work in today!

• Like 1

Sorry for your loss , Fair.

I hope school goes better for you and you get some down time.

Oh he's not actually passed yet. Hence the chaos. We're headed out of town three days a week to help take care of him. It's hard., exhausting, emotionally draining work.

This is like the fourth week we've done this.

My whole mind is fully muddled

Today went so good! We eased into the school year, so while this is the third week for us, this is the first day doing all subjects. We are doing a lot of school, and I thought it would be too much, but it is the perfect amount for each kid. At least it seems to be so far. It's a lot for me though. I spent about 5 hours teaching today, but I enjoy it.