Menu

Pencil Grip & Newbie Questions

happynurse

Out of nowhere yesterday, my 3 1/2 year old just decided to start writing letters....that actually look like letters. He started doing this after watching some LeapFrog DVDs and he's quite excited about it. He's also sounding out some simple CVC words. Anyway, he naturally wants to 'fist' his pencil/marker/crayon, which, of course, I'd expect at his age. But since he's starting to form letters on his own, should I go ahead and try to get him to grip his writing utensil properly? If so, do you have tips on how? I've shown him, and he'll do it for a minute or two, then back to the fist. Any tips?

Also...side note: I really intended to start him with cursive before manuscript, but he's apparently taken to writing manuscript all on his own. Should I introduce cursive now? Three and a half is much younger than I anticipated doing that. 

Thanks!

PS - I intend to start LoE Foundations A in his K4 year. He's not ready for that, right? Anything I should do with this interest to read and write? Just checking. I'm new at this!

Get little golf pencils. Put away all large sized pencils. Don't say anything, just give him the golf pencils to use. The small size will force him not to hold them in his fist.

(I would also strongly suggest replacing the crayons with crayon rocks or similarly small sized crayons, markers with stubby markers, and so on.)

Additionally, you're going to want to work on the pincer grip and hand strength with other activities. Lacing beads, using chopsticks and tweezers (chopsticks are THE best way to eat popcorn and jelly beans), making worms out of playdough, putting coins carefully in the charity box at McDonald's or wherever (pro tip: this also helps keep fidgety toddlers still for five minutes while you order) - these sorts of activities will help him naturally work out the correct grip, without you having to nag. You can look up "Montessori pre-writing" or "Pre-writing games" for more ideas. Personally, when the girls were that age, I looked up physical therapy activities for improving the pincer grip.

• Like 2

Get little golf pencils. Put away all large sized pencils. Don't say anything, just give him the golf pencils to use. The small size will force him not to hold them in his fist.

(I would also strongly suggest replacing the crayons with crayon rocks or similarly small sized crayons, markers with stubby markers, and so on.)

Additionally, you're going to want to work on the pincer grip and hand strength with other activities. Lacing beads, using chopsticks and tweezers (chopsticks are THE best way to eat popcorn and jelly beans), making worms out of playdough, putting coins carefully in the charity box at McDonald's or wherever (pro tip: this also helps keep fidgety toddlers still for five minutes while you order) - these sorts of activities will help him naturally work out the correct grip, without you having to nag. You can look up "Montessori pre-writing" or "Pre-writing games" for more ideas. Personally, when the girls were that age, I looked up physical therapy activities for improving the pincer grip.

Thank you!! This is *exactly* what I needed to know. I really appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...

Crayon and chalk nubs are helpful.  Break them into 2-inch nubs, and that will force a tripod grasp.

Put stetro grips on those golf pencils. I made a big, theatrical (playful) ordeal out of placing the pencil in the hand and making sure the star was under the thumb. At 3 1/2 that sort of thing is fun.

Triangular crayons/pencils are the next step, but do the nubs & golf pencils first.  I'd want to see him comfy with the nubs for several months.

Montessori sandpaper letters are helpful, and follow the directions about using the first two fingers for tracing.

Any sort of art project or game that requires him to strengthen his hands and upper body.  Master the monkey bars.

ETA:  I'd wait to start cursive until his official Kindy year.  Think of the printing practice as fm building and letter recognition.  Don't start formal lessons at all right now.

• Like 1