Menu

Dianne Craft Brain Integration Therapy vs Neuronet- what's the difference

Guest Atlmom

Without having used them, only knowing what I've see online, I'd encourage you to look at cost, extent of what is covered, time spent, who drives the therapy (parent or a therapist), typical market, and whether the effect is considered general or specific.

What specific things are you wanting to improve?  DC's materials are more broad and hit a lot of topics, where Neuronet is more cognitive therapy and motor planning.  Some kids will need a lot of interventions before they'd even be ready to do neuronet.  Just depends on what the dc is dealing with.  Has your dc had an OT eval?  It would give you a more hands-on assessment of where your dc is at.  Around here you can get a one hour OT eval for $80 typically.

We use Dianne craft. I have the brain integration manual and a dysgraphia DVD. I have other DVDs but haven't seen them yet. My understanding from reading the manual and comparing to the dysgraphia DVD is the DVD visually shows what she is taking about. I think it was a nice explanation but probably not needed.

The program goes over a few exercises (recommended daily), for dysgraphia a big figure 8 writing exercise plus alphabet daily incorporated, plus weekly exercises. The exercises are about ten or so, mostly crossing the midline with figure eights or right hand to left knee and vice versa marching sort of, plus or minus looking in certain directions while performing. She also gives a few exercises for auditory things like tongue twisters, enunciation, word recall. For dyslexia she also has a phonics book, which is a list of words on each page using common phonics rules (for instance a page of /oa/ words or Magic e words). I bought it without realizing that's what it is and is not useful for me as our reading program has lists of words with each rule for spelling and reading. I will say her book used huge font which is a bonus for most dyslexics. And she prints the rule in a different color to highlight it. We use colored overlays to ease reading so that isn't helpful for us.

I don't have other dyslexia products by her.

I have found a lot of her things on eBay. For dysgraphia she mentions a lot of students get results within 2 months (rec time is six months to do figure 8 exercises). I am willing to try for two to three months as our OT recommends doing crossing midline exercises anyway.

For her credit her dysgraphia DVD is easy to understand and informative but I'm not sure how recent the information/research is. She has a master is Ed I believe.

I know nothing about neuronet.

It's funny as I've been researching brain gym activities which I think a lot of these programs are about (Dianne craft, I think pyramid of power?, Val a vis x some). And research hasn't really supported their use at least with brain gym, but I wonder if the testing was on NT kids or kids with conditions. Our OT uses these types of exercises, as well as almost all therapies recommended for dyspraxia as well as dysgraphia and a lot of optometry conditions.