Menu

Phonics?

My middle-schooler mis-pronounces. Often. He's a moderate speller, good, not great. He ps'd k-2 & didn't explicitly learn syllable division, spelling rules, sounding out rules, etc. He was an early reader, but the lack of decoding rules is catching up with him in higher level reading. He's requesting "phonics". Now, I'm not sure that's what he needs, but he needs something foundational for sure. He's a quick learner & I feel like with the right tools we could overcome this pretty simply. I used AAS w/my younger & he retained a ton. I used PZ w/the older & he gained less.

Suggestions??

I'll second Megawords. But make sure he's doing the reading portions of it.

Also, sometimes mispronouncing is just a matter of not reading out loud a lot. I mean that if his comprehension of reading is good, then it's not necessarily a reading problem. Sometimes its just a matter of training the brain to read out loud, because saying the words adds one more step after seeing, decoding, comprehending. So, perhaps just more oral reading practice?

• Like 2