Menu

Language Arts for 1st and 3rd

Guest Faith20tenLJ

Guest Faith20tenLJ

I am wondering what everyone does and if it's overkill on my end.

This is what I am trying to decide on for 2015/2016 year:

I have FLL, CLE Language arts, Spelling Workout, WriteShop, and A Reason for Handwriting. I love CLE,but wanted to add in FLL. WriteShop and A Reason for Handwriting wouldn't be daily of course.

I think part of me feel that CLE will fill in the gaps.

It looks like a lot now that I'm typing it out! Ugh!

Thanks for your input!

For my 3rd, we'll be doing FLL, WWE, AAS, some cursive practice, and maybe some other writing (not sure, haven't decided yet how much, and what.)  So far he's shown no inclination to do writing on his own, so I'm not sure how much to push and when.  ;)

So for 3rd, what you have seems reasonable.  But for first?  It depends a lot on the child, I think.  Mine *wants* to do AAS and FLL, and will be doing WWE.  I doubt I'll require any writing beyond that unless he shows interest.  I didn't with my older at that age.  (And he wasn't doing FLL or AAS at the time, either.  Just WWE.)

I am wondering what everyone does and if it's overkill on my end.

This is what I am trying to decide on for 2015/2016 year:

I have FLL, CLE Language arts, Spelling Workout, WriteShop, and A Reason for Handwriting. I love CLE,but wanted to add in FLL. WriteShop and A Reason for Handwriting wouldn't be daily of course.

I think part of me feel that CLE will fill in the gaps.

It looks like a lot now that I'm typing it out! Ugh!

Thanks for your input!

CLE has grammar, writing, spelling, and penmanship

The other books you listed cover grammar, writing, spelling, and penmanship.

Yeah, that's a bit much. Decide if you're just going with CLE or doing the piecemeal route and do it the best you can. 

On gaps:

1) *Everyone* has gaps. You should see the whoppers I finished school with. Teaching my own was really good for me. ;)

2) If a gap is significant enough, it will be obvious when you arrive at the next step. You can simply take the time to fill the gap when/if that happens.

• Like 4

On gaps:

1) *Everyone* has gaps. You should see the whoppers I finished school with. Teaching my own was really good for me. ;)

2) If a gap is significant enough, it will be obvious when you arrive at the next step. You can simply take the time to fill the gap when/if that happens.

This really strikes a cord with me!  I worry - far too much - about covering *all* the bases, which is impossible, of course.  Thanks for posting! 

It seems like you are doubling up in several areas. I would do:

1st grade: phonics/learning to read - 20 minutes, handwriting 10 minutes. If ready, add on spelling for 15-20 minutes. Do lots of reading aloud. Do occasional informal writing (child talks, you scribe, print it out & let the child draw or paint a picture to go with. Makes a nice keepsake or something to send to grandparents. We did this and recently got some back when dh's parents passed away--so sweet, and made me cry too.) Other informal projects include notes or journals.

3rd grade: 20 minutes reading instruction and a silent reading time, or 30 minutes silent reading with a short amount of reading aloud to mom (depending on the student's needs/abilities), 10 minutes handwriting, 15-20 minutes of spelling, and 20-30 minutes of grammar or writing or a combined LA course. 

Personally I would do FLL OR CLE OR Writeshop, rather than all 3, unless you have a plan for doing units in some way. I wouldn't do all 3 on any given day, in other words. 

Another word on gaps--you do not need to cover every language arts subject every year. It's fine to have some years focus more on writing and other years more on grammar. Or do units of each (the way an all-in-one type of LA will) using different resources. 

Here's an article on planning LA that might be helpful.

Hmmmm. It looks like two full LA loads to me :).

For those grades we use CLE LTR/LA/Reading for 1st, then CLE LA/Reading for 2nd-3rd. It's enough, honestly. It's already a full LA curriculum. And the best thing is it keeps me from having to flip back and forth between so many books and programs :).

• Like 1

Guest Faith20tenLJ

Thank you all for your input. It probably just comes down to the fact that I really love FLL w/ the other separate books & I also love the all inclusiveness of CLE Language Arts program. Just have to decide which!

Thank you all for your input. It probably just comes down to the fact that I really love FLL w/ the other separate books & I also love the all inclusiveness of CLE Language Arts program. Just have to decide which!

We started CLE in third because there is a LOT of phonics (old school - markings, etc) in grades 1 & 2. I think it would be great if you started phonics with CLE, but if you use another program CLE LA and reading (other than using their readers as practice books) in 1 and 2 is overkill.