Menu

Is a 7th grader allowed to take classes at the community college?

My 7th grader would like to take some classes at our community college which is right behind our house! He placed in algebra I and I don't think I'm up to teach it...mainly because I work part time . I tried to call them,but they are closed until the middle of August. I know only high schoolers are eligible to take classes for free,but we would pay for the books& classes if it's not too much.

I doubt he would be eligible under the high school program which is funded for specific goals, but I don't know if there is an age limit. It probably depends. Algebra I is a pre-college level math.

It might be cheaper to do Kumon all things considered.

That said if you are not up to teach Algebra I, what are your plans for the rest of math?

That said if you are not up to teach Algebra I, what are your plans for the rest of math?

I would consider a dvd or online program and help him as needed when I come home,but I'd prefer he would take classes at the college. He would like to socialize with other young people and I have no time for co-ops or other homeschool groups. He is a social butterfly and enjoys to be around people of any age,and I feel very bad that for the last couple of years I have not given him the opportunity to socialize (except church)

I would consider a dvd or online program and help him as needed when I come home,but I'd prefer he would take classes at the college. He would like to socialize with other young people and I have no time for co-ops or other homeschool groups. He is a social butterfly and enjoys to be around people of any age,and I feel very bad that for the last couple of years I have not given him the opportunity to socialize (except church)

My CC allows students at age 15.  They do offer high-school level algebra (no college credit granted).  It is considered a developmental (used to be called remedial) class.

My daughter started taking classes at CC at age 16 via high school dual enrollment.  She has done well, but socially she has felt a bit out of place because of her age.   I am a bit dubious that most of the other students are going to have much social interest in a 7th grader.  Of course YMMV on that.

Have you considered a private tutor?  Our public library is packed with students and tutors pretty much every day. 

• Like 3

A heads up...most CC students will be older by a few years and are not going to be interested in socializing with a 7th grader. A good amount of students who take math at the algebra level could be remedial students who are just there to chase credits...or are older working adults who need to retrain for professional reasons and again, probably not ideal company for socialization or if you have a very academically eager student. I could definitely be wrong...just something to think about.

• Like 10

Is part-time at the public school an option? That seems like a good fit for your situation -- a lack of time on your part, plus a kid who wants more social interaction. Many schools will have other 7th graders taking algebra, or perhaps he could take it with 8th graders.

• Like 2

It depends completely on the policies of your community college. I know the one local to me requires any participant to be at least 16 years of age *and* at least a junior in high school. Other places I've heard of are much more lenient.

• Like 1

Our local CC allows homeschooled students to dual enroll starting at 10th grade and 15 years old.

Have you considered a live online class?   My DS did an online Algebra prep class this summer, which was live with an instructor and other students all logged in together.   If that won't work, I'd probably consider part time public school or taking one or two classes through a homeschool class provider (similar to a co-op, except that teachers are paid and parents aren't required to help or stay - you pick your classes a la carte, then drop off your student at class time).   Tuition for a homeschool class provider would be substantially lower than CC tuition.

Even if the college will allow him to enroll, I dobt that a regular class will give him much social outlet as others have said.

Try looking to see if your CC offers any community outreach classes for kids. They do not give college credit, but would allow him to interact with similar aged peers.

I see. 

Is there a specific reason, if he can function in college, that he couldn't function in middle school? Most middle and high schools offer Algebra. I don't know your reasons for homeschooling.

A good amount of students who take math at the algebra level could be remedial students who are just there to chase credits..

I would say that 99% of our algebra level students have goals that require an associate's degree and they can't pass the test to get into it, so they must re-do all their math. Many of them are non-native speakers and only have a HS degree from the college or a GED. Many were just passed through.

Professionals who go back to school usually take the statistics courses like "statistics for social science" or "business statistics" or Math for Economics.

I find it highly unlikely that he would get a lot of social outlet taking algebra with non-traditional students (and everyone in pre-college math in college is, by definition, a non-traditional student). He might get some, but most of them are quite busy and have families.

I wish him much luck but if at all possible I'd put him in public school. But what can I say... the fact that my kids love socializing and I have to work is why they're in public school now and generally having a fantastic time. Even when it's not perfect and even when they have to wait in turns.

• Like 1

Ours does! You have to get the approval of the professor and k12students only pay $20 per class. My dd12 will be starting with pre-algebra and if that goes well, she will take algebra and Spanish in the winter semester!

The reason we are going this route - another homeschool family here recommended it. The dad is a math professor and his homeschooled daughter has taken a lot of math classes there.

We are not using it for any social need - I fully expect it to be all older people and not for socializing (she will be there for the class only). Mostly we wanted to see how she would do with it because I am going to start having a tough time teaching higher level math.

• Like 2

Maybe, although it would be based on his actual age, not his grade level.

Actually, our CC is by grade level. About a year ago they transitioned away from their policy of students needing to be 16 years old. Their policy now states students are to be a junior. I know of several parents that have wigged their child's transcript to make them juniors so they could start taking classes, including one newly turned fourteen year old. 

• Like 1

College Algebra isn't the same as high school algebra 1. And it's smooshed into one semester instead of a year long class. Unless he's gone through high school math, I wouldn't sign up a kid that age for a CC math class.

• Like 4

College Algebra isn't the same as high school algebra 1. And it's smooshed into one semester instead of a year long class. Unless he's gone through high school math, I wouldn't sign up a kid that age for a CC math class.

College Algebra in my area isn't Algebra I in one semester instead of two, it's "Algebra 3," or basically the first half of Pre-Calc. But I think the OP was asking about a true Algebra I class, offered at the CC for those who didn't test high enough to take college level math (or those needing high school math the first time around, like the OP's child).

• Like 3

My local one requires 8th grade, but the student can't place into developmental classes, so it wouldn't be a substitute for high school content. Also, be aware-my DD does lab work (without getting college credit) in a university bio department, and cannot be on campus unattended. I am now allowed to drop her off and go to the library or student union until she's done (she usually isn' t just doing one hour-it's more like prolonged lab sessions of several hours in length), but when we first started, I spent a lot of time sitting in hallways. So far, she's done lecture sections online mostly for the same reason. (Well, that and that lecture sections are usually 3x/week, and the college she has been able to work with is hours away).

• Like 1

See, I think socializing with older people would be a good thing. :001_smile:

Lol, definitely! I should clarify my original statement - we don't need it to be for any social needs because she is already an incredibly social person, with all ages :) she used to participate in Toastmasters with my husband - the only kid in the group and they made her an honorary member (they also loved her because she baked for the group each week!!)

The big issue I see with taking algebra 1 at the CC is that it's usually taught over one semester instead of two. Assuming your child takes math every semester, they end up doing algebra 1 + 2 in 7th grade, then college algebra + precalc in 8th. This is excessively challenging for most students -- even if they're ready for algebra 1 in 7th, they're NOT ready for that pace. A really mathy kid could probably handle it, but for that kind of really mathy kid I'd prefer to consider an online course designed for mathy kids rather than just moving faster through coursework designed for non-mathy adults who in general fear and hate math. If they have a two-semester algebra 1 (some cc's still offer this) I'd be a lot more likely to consider it.

• Like 1

See, I think socializing with older people would be a good thing. :001_smile:

It is always good to socialize with people of different ages. But adult college students are unlikely to be interested in socializing with a 13-year-old taking a math class with them.  He is likely to be disappointed.

• Like 3

I think it is doubtful that enrolling in a CC class will provide your son with a satisfying social experience.  Most CCs serve a wide range of students, some of whom are traditional full time students, but many of whom are not--they work full time or more and/or have families to take care of.  Many of them dash in to school for class and dash out again.  I would think that the folks who are taking a remedial math course would be *more* likely to be in the latter group.

As far as a CC Algebra I class being an appropriate placement for a 7th grader--remedial college math courses (which Algebra I is) are completed in 10 (quarter system)-15 (semester system) weeks.  That's 2.5-3.5 times faster than the typical middle/high school Algebra I pace.  Accelerated pace is fine and works well for students who thrive on it, but it would not be appropriate for such a student to be placed into a *remedial* college math class.  A class with more breadth, depth, and challenge at an accelerated pace would be more appropriate, such as an Art of Problem Solving class.

• Like 1

Different states do different policies and different schools within states have different policies...the general consensus I have seen for dual enrollment which is what it is called if you haven't graduated your student from your homeschool has been the student has to be 1. 15 year of age 2. They must be considered a Junior in their homeschool 3.  they can only get the cheaper dual enrollment prices for 2 years-junior and senior year 4.  they have to have taken the ACT and achieved certain scores.  

The general rule though is you either have to have "graduated" home school and then they base your math placement off of your ACT or Compass test score or you dual enroll as a homeschool high school junior and have to be 15 years old.  And locally, the community college here is the students who didn't have the grades for the better colleges in the area and most are rough around the edges.  Therefore, a 13 yr old in with some high school graduates that may be on 7th grade math level at 21 or 22 would not be a good influence.  

You can normally find the admission requirements on their website and you can normally find homeschool admission requirements as well as dual enrollment requirements, but you can't really outsource 7th grade Algebra at the community college on a class by class basis by paying for it.  You either are a dual enrolled high school student or you are a homeschool graduate enrolling as a freshman.  

When I read your title, I assumed your child was interested in history or foreign language or something not based on progressively built skills. I would not attempt to outsource Algebra I to a CC; their classes are expected to be review for most students, have basically no hand-holding, stick to the basics, and compress the material into half a year. I would look into a school-based, co-op, video, or internet course.

• Like 1

It really depends on the policies of the CC.  Some will and some won't.

However, the socializing aspect is the more difficult part of young kids attending a CC. These are adults, for the most part, and they are not interested in chatting with a young teen. Their social and classroom discussion will not be 'PG", nor should it have to be.  It is adult space. Locally we had an issue of a younger teen at the CC, a 14 year old girl, being inappropriately targeted by a much older adult man. This went on for quite a while until the parents figured out what was happening. I am pretty sure that the CC no longer allows students under the age of 16 now.

My experience with our local CC is that there is a big mix of students. Some are young adults who didn't go to 4 year college for whatever reason, it could be due to money or they didn't do well academically in high school. Many are adults who are returning to school because they are undereducated and are needing to get some sort of degree to get a job. They have 7th graders of their own. The CC is open to everyone, as is any college, and that means that there are students there on parole, people just out of rehab, people who are trying to transition from one life to another. Your child can of course be in classes with those same people at a 4 year university, absolutely, but will hopefully be older and better able to make social decisions. I want to be very clear that I am not saying these are 'bad' people, just maybe people who have life experiences that your 7th grader might not be ready to hear about.

It's like parents who have their kids in public school who are very gifted athletes. They have a 7th grader that the coach wants to put on the varsity team, instead of the JV. But, that means traveling in the bus with the varsity team. A 7th grader is pretty young to be exposed to 12th graders gossiping and bragging about their personal lives, who is sleeping with who, who did what last summer etc. With a CC you are really putting your kid into the adult world without a buffer or a mediator.

• Like 2

Our CC does not allow anyone under 16yo, no matter what.    The states I know of where the state pays for dual enrollment usually don't start until 9th grade for that.    But Algebra 1 is not a college level class.  College algebra is similar to Algebra 2 in many cases, but algebra 1 would be remedial.  I can't imagine a school district paying for a remedial college class that they offer in their own schools, for a child who is not old enough to do it in most cases, anyways.    I think you will need to find a different option, perhaps a tutor or a co-op class.

Our CC requires students turn 16 within the semester they begin enrollment. Officially they have to be a Junior as well, but I didn't have any trouble enrolling dd as a Sophomore. Additionally they do not allow students to take remedial classes. They must test into college level classes (College Algebra, not Algebra 1 or 2 for example). 

That said, you probably aren't looking at the CC my kids attend. The only way to get your answer is to ask your CC. However, even if they allow it, I would highly encourage you to find a high school level Algebra 1 instead of taking Beginning Algebra through the CC. There are multiple reasons for this and I think they have all been stated. I'll throw them out one more time though. First, the other students in the class will be reviewing something they had in high school not learning for the first time, so the class moves at a very rapid pace. Second, the students in remedial math courses are not the cream of the CC crop and the interactions may not be what you would want for your 12 yo. Not really third, but another issue is that a CC may not offer Geometry, but it really shouldn't be skipped from the high school sequence, so even if Algebra 1 & 2 work, you'll be missing one of the building blocks for higher level math. 

There are many options for homeschooling Algebra 1. Head over the the high school board and look at the pinned math thread. Look through the Algebra 1 options and be sure to note the options of videos and classes based on the various curriculum options. You can do better than CC math for a middle schooler.

• Like 1

You guys are making me seriously rethink our decision. The problem is that both my husband and dd12 really want to at least try it. And another friend has done really well going this route. So well that she is now doing college level math there. And dd12 and I started not enjoying doing math together. She goes to a charter part-time but doesn't do math there. She really wants to do this CC math class and try it out.

One other consideration is that remedial math classes (as algebra would be at most CC) are often taught with heavy use of computer programs like Math XL or ALEKS. In some cases the class time is spent on the computer working through the program with an instructor available. This is specified in the course description sometimes, but you may have to look at the description for the specific course section.

If you are looking for a different means of teaching math you might consider just subscribing to ALEKS. It could also be cheaper than the CC tuition cost.

Every CC will have their own policy. In general, 12 is probably too young for most CCs to accept as a student attending independently. Try googling something like site:whatevercollege.edu underage student policy

There are a lot of online "live" and "self-paced" algebra 1 classes out there, so you should have other options even if the CC says no and there is nothing in person close to your house.

FWIW, the term dual enrollment has not always been used at the CC's we've used.  Or they referred to a specific relationship between the CC and a particular high school.  Other terms we've run into include Running Start, Early Admission Students and High School Specials.

Each CC sets their own policies.  We have encountered requirements to be in high school, be at least 16, or be at least a junior.  We've also seen schools that admitted no high school students at all, that limited students to one course or 6 credits, or no courses below college level.  Sometimes counselors were willing to make some exceptions based on ACT scores or the fact that the student had already completed a college level course successfully.  (ETA: I notice you are in Southern California.  An area might have multiple separate CC districts.  For example, San Diego Co. had at least three different districts with different policies.  However colleges in CA also have issues with classes being impacted and not available for college students.  That makes them less welcoming to high schoolers, especially if they are asking for classes below the college level.)

Two other considerations:

CC classes will go onto a permanent college transcript.  When the student applies to attend college after high school graduation, they will be asked to list the schools attended and submit transcripts.  So if the student gets a C in the CC algebra class, they ought submit that transcript to all of the colleges they are applying to.  (Which may or may not make allowances for age.)

The CC schedule may be less forgiving than a typical school calendar.  My ds had no long fall break.  He had Labor Day and Veterans Day and two days off for Thanksgiving (ie, class on Wed).  His course required taking the class final, which was only offered on one day in mid Dec.  

ETA: I thought of a third consideration, which is transportation.  My ds gets himself to CC most days.  For him that has often involved a 30 min bus ride each way.  That does consume time and also has safety considerations for younger students.

You guys are making me seriously rethink our decision. The problem is that both my husband and dd12 really want to at least try it. And another friend has done really well going this route. So well that she is now doing college level math there. And dd12 and I started not enjoying doing math together. She goes to a charter part-time but doesn't do math there. She really wants to do this CC math class and try it out.

You know someone personally that has had a really good experience at your local school. I think you should give it a try. :)
  • Like 1

You know someone personally that has had a really good experience at your local school. I think you should give it a try. :)

True, true. I explained all the "cons" to my daughter and husband and they both want to go ahead with it and at least try it, but if it doesn't work out, she can just withdraw within a set period of time. In the meantime, I will probably have AOPS as a back-up, if it doesn't work, and even if she doesn't use it, my son most certainly will.

• Like 1

If you are paying cash at some colleges you can take Algebra.

IMO, it is faster than high school algebra BUT! the fact that they are dealing with many, many people who are not traditional students means that they are often well-prepared to deal with many questions. Class sizes are small. These are programs targeted at getting those who fell behind, back on track.

It's not going to be like an AP class or something where they are counting on you to put in a ton of extra work.

I agree about the transcripts HOWEVER!

You can take pass-fail and you can also repeat it. You can also audit and ask for tests and have them graded by a paid tutor. There are ways around getting a C on your transcript--I see it all the time.

I found out the materials she will need for the class - they are listed as loose leaf papers and I think it includes iXL? This is the closest thing I could find outside the college web site (they charge $140 at the CC).

http://www.amazon.com/Prealgebra-7th-Edition-Elayn-Martin-Gay/dp/0321955048

I'm really wondering though - if she doesn't like the class, we've just flushed $140 down the toilet. But how else would we know if she will like it?

Has anyone ever seen / used these materials? Are they any good?

I found out the materials she will need for the class - they are listed as loose leaf papers and I think it includes iXL? This is the closest thing I could find outside the college web site (they charge $140 at the CC).

http://www.amazon.com/Prealgebra-7th-Edition-Elayn-Martin-Gay/dp/0321955048

I'm really wondering though - if she doesn't like the class, we've just flushed $140 down the toilet. But how else would we know if she will like it?

Has anyone ever seen / used these materials? Are they any good?

I haven't used this textbook, but Martin-Gay is the author for a number of college math books.  You might be able to find a used copy at the college bookstore or at a local used bookstore to look through.

If the course requires access to an online resource, be cautious about buying a used text online.  They often don't come with the access code, or the code is used or expired.

It may be possible to buy just the access code and then a used copy of the book.  

Loose leaf textbooks are becoming more common.  They do have the advantage of only needing to take certain sections to class (for example, the pre-calc class at our CC only uses chapters 1-5 of a 10 chapter book).  However, usually they are not returnable once they are taken out of the plastic wrapping.  

It might be worth contacting the course instructor.  They could tell you if access to an online supplement is required and if it would work to have an older edition of the book as long as you had access to the supplement.

I would recommend that the email come from your student, rather than from you.  Or that you explain that you are counseling a prospective student in what the expectations of the dual enrollment course would be.

True, true. I explained all the "cons" to my daughter and husband and they both want to go ahead with it and at least try it, but if it doesn't work out, she can just withdraw within a set period of time. In the meantime, I will probably have AOPS as a back-up, if it doesn't work, and even if she doesn't use it, my son most certainly will.

I have avoided commenting, but this post pushed me to. I cannot fathom 2 more discrepant scenarios than pre-alg at a CC and AoPS. Pre-alg at the CC is going to be full of the lowest performing students on campus. It is not even a high school equivalent course. The class is going to be remedial students who fit either 1 of 3 likely categories: older adult returning to school and needs a refresher course, high school graduate who performed so poorly on the placement test that that is where they have to start, or high school drop out returning to school.

The math topics in that classroom are going to be addressing the least capable students. AoPS, otoh, is going to be addressing the most capable.

I would look into Chalkdust, Derek Owens, AoPS online.....just about any other viable alternative over the CC.

• Like 7

Martin-Gay is a decent textbook similar to Lial's. Even if she doesn't like the class, there's absolutely no reason you couldn't use it for pre-algebra. 

I'd check with the instructor about using a hardcover edition instead. Even if you need to get a new edition, the resale value is much higher, and rental is a possibility. 

We've gone to requiring online access code and listing the textbook as optional since for the program we use there is an ebook version of the text included with the access code. 

I have avoided commenting, but this post pushed me to. I cannot fathom 2 more discrepant scenarios than pre-alg at a CC and AoPS. Pre-alg at the CC is going to be full of the lowest performing students on campus. It is not even a high school equivalent course. The class is going to be remedial students who fit either 1 of 3 likely categories: older adult returning to school and needs a refresher course, high school graduate who performed so poorly on the placement test that that is where they have to start, and high school drop out returning to school.

The math topics in that classroom are going to be addressing the least capable students. AoPS, otoh, is going to be addressing the most capable.

I would look into Chalkdust, Derek Owens, AoPS online.....just about any other viable alternative over the CC.

So you think that her math education would definitely be much greater by doing it at home with me vs going to the CC, no matter what?

She's done reasonably well with Singapore up until now (6a/6b was definitely challenging), but she's not as "mathy" as my 9 yo son. The past year with Singapore 6a/6b was frustrating for both of us, and why we considered having her do math elsewhere.

I honestly don't know a lot about AOPS math, except that my son is doing Beast Academy (Singapore was not a good fit for him last year, though funny enough, he is now asking me to do a little Singapore level 5 with him in addition to almost finishing his Beast Academy level 3).

Seriously though, the only reason we considered it was because our homeschool friends did this. He is a math professor at this CC, and his daughter is very talented in math, and she went this route. She has done very well and has gone through the various math classes very quickly.

So you think that her math education would definitely be much greater by doing it at home with me vs going to the CC, no matter what?

She's done reasonably well with Singapore up until now (6a/6b was definitely challenging), but she's not as "mathy" as my 9 yo son. The past year with Singapore 6a/6b was frustrating for both of us, and why we considered having her do math elsewhere.

I honestly don't know a lot about AOPS math, except that my son is doing Beast Academy (Singapore was not a good fit for him last year, though funny enough, he is now asking me to do a little Singapore level 5 with him in addition to almost finishing his Beast Academy level 3).

Seriously though, the only reason we considered it was because our homeschool friends did this. He is a math professor at this CC, and his daughter is very talented in math, and she went this route. She has done very well and has gone through the various math classes very quickly.

Since you have used SM and BA, you have been seeking out challenging math resources for your children. You are going from top challenging courses to remedial.

Fwiw, going through CC math classes quickly is not necessarily a good. My thoughts are this sounds more like the Calculus Trap RR talks about. http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/articles/calculus-trap

But, I would never enroll any student in a remedial CC course.

• Like 2

What I am "seeing" in this scenario is that the daughter may be using this route as a convenient way to test out with a transcript and maybe transfer credits. Her dad can do all the math enrichment at home to her heart's content.

• Like 1

It sounds like you really want to give this a try, and I hope it works out well for your daughter.

But I don't think you should compare the experience of a very talented mathy friend with a college math professor father to your child, who finds math frustrating. I don't think you can expect that they will have the same kind of experience.

If I were you, I'd find a way to do math at home or outsource it in a different way.

• Like 1

Just a fwiw, we did AoPS algebra but not pre-algebra. The pre-algebra wasn't out when my kids were at that level. I have seen some comments by AoPS pre-algebra users that while the math was on level, the writing seemed over the head of their younger students. You or dh may need to be ready to assist in some explanations.

Ok, if socialization is your main goal.  The local cc is not the right fit for 7th or 8th grade 12 yr old boy.  I have a 12 yr old 7th grade boy who will be 13.  His grandmother works in admissions at the local cc (which would not take him until he is 15 and a junior).  I have been on campus and seen who is there and what the talk and behavior consists of and how it would "socialize" my son.  Even if the cc would take him now...I would not do it.  

If he needs socialization and you can't do co-ops or homeschool groups, then sending back to school is the better answer at his grade level with grade level peers than trying to outsource to a cc.  While he may enjoy being around people of any age, people of any age have a lot of life experience on him and he could be an easy target for so many bad things that I could not even list them all on here.  And unfortunately the element of people in a remedial cc class would probably get a kick out of taking your son down the garden path so to speak.  

I would even suggest Classical Conversations as you can drop off once they are Challenge age if you don't want to do local school.  But I guess my big question is if you are willing to expose to the diversity of adults at community college, why wouldn't you first look at your local school choices?  Community college is not an age-appropriate choice for 7th grade 12 yr old who would be placed in remedial math classes.

Here is a sampling of what is at college and talked about openly in front of anyone-drugs, sex, lifestyle choices, alcohol, partying, clubbing, wives, husbands, marital problems, relationship problems, emotional abuse by partners, physical abuse by partners, multiple partners, std's, pregnancy, rape....the list can go on and on...the adult conversation will not be 12 yr old appropriate even in just regular conversations.  I started a 4 yr university at 17 and it was eye-opening to me at the time---which was quite a few years ago ;)  And that was a university not a community college.  The demographic at the community college would not be something I would want my 12 yr old exposed to as a peer group to make friends.  That is just not the purpose of a community college.  If you need friends and socialization for a 12 yr old, then you need to look where the purpose is for 12 yr olds to make appropriate friends.

• Like 3

Please be aware that if she withdraws she may get a "W" on her transcript.  And if she doesn't do as well as she would like, that grade will also be on her transcript.  A person's college transcript stays with them for all time, even if that person was 12 when she took the class.  She will need to send a copy of this transcript to any colleges she applies to *and* it will follow her to graduate school admissions as well.

Please be aware that if she withdraws she may get a "W" on her transcript.  And if she doesn't do as well as she would like, that grade will also be on her transcript.  A person's college transcript stays with them for all time, even if that person was 12 when she took the class.  She will need to send a copy of this transcript to any colleges she applies to *and* it will follow her to graduate school admissions as well.

After this thread made me rethink our entire plan, we've decided to drop the class (two weeks before it starts). I certainly hope dropping a class before it begins won't follow her around for life :)

After this thread made me rethink our entire plan, we've decided to drop the class (two weeks before it starts). I certainly hope dropping a class before it begins won't follow her around for life :)

Keep copies of the paperwork that confirmed the drop and double check at the end of the course. I had a course that I dropped that didn't process correctly. Since I hadn't been there most of the semester I had an F. With copies of the paperwork I was able to prove I'd dropped it.