Menu

Light grammar to keep it from being forgotten for 6th and 8th graders

We've been doing R&S English from its Grade 2 to Grade 7 books. We also finished Lively Latin 2. Now we'll spend 45 minutes a day on Henle Latin, so I decide to lighten English grammar. Is there a grammar that keeps it fresh and not forgotten for this year? Is Analytical Grammar a good choice or another one? We may go on to R&S English 8 in a year or two, but both boys are very bored with R&S at the moment.

Thanks!

AG could, I think. It's broken into three "seasons" that last about a quarter of a year. You could spread the first two over the first year and finish it next year.

We used Daily Language Review from Evan-Moor for a break from R&S to focus on other things. It goes up to grade 8, and you can buy hard copies or downloads. I graded their 6 and 7 books last year without the TM and did fine. It's only five exercises a day.

Thanks, Cosmos and SilverMoon. I took a look at Daily Grammar Practice. It is very close to what I want.

SilverMoon, we have used two Evan Moor Daily Geography Practice books. I like how they can do one week's lesson in jsut one day.

I might get Daily Grammar Practice 7th grade workbook for this year. My grammar is solid and can just wing it without TM. Both boys can work on it in their notebooks instead of writing on the workbook.

• Like 1

What about using the Rod and Staff worksheets? You could just do one or two a week.

Analytical Grammar has a Review and Reinforcement book for reviewing through the year. You might be able to use Season 1 of that book after Rod and Staff 7, but not season 2, as I don't think all the phrases are covered in RAndS 7, right? And students who hadn't done the AG program might have a little trouble at first, I'm not sure. AG by itself will not take much less time than RandS, at least at first, unless you spread each season way out over the year. But it IS nice and does feel less tedious than RandS overall if you are willing to do grammar every day for ten weeks at the beginning of the year.

Maybe the GIggley Guide to Grammar?

That is what my dd and I are going to try this year.  It looks very promising.  I have gone over it many times since it has been on my shelf and I really feel she will remember what she will learn because it's fun and conversational.

We are doing this too. I wasn't sure about recommending it since we haven't started yet. I bought it as a reference (since a lot of grammar handbooks aren't really kid-friendly), but I decided it might be a great book to do for fun. We might also do half of this book:

https://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl.php?id=003083&subject=English%2FWriting/7&category=Easy+Grammar+Ultimate+Series/1301

It's like Daily Grams, but for an older audience. 

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I looked at all the options mentioned. I like Fix It. But older son is going to take a writing class that includes it. Younger will take that same class in a couple years. I don't want it to be redundant, so I orderd AG Reinforcement to try from CBD. I can return it in 60 days if it is not a good fit. Older son will continue with R&S 8 at a reduced speed and amount.

Thank you for your help!

• Like 1