Menu

*Update! Help?* Is this normal? Real estate etiquette question

mommymilkies

and conversation.

JAWM.  Or not. ;)

We are selling our house.  It's not a huge house but it's on a nice historic street in a very small town.  I've had quite a few people wander up to my house and just ask to see inside even before it was for sale, and others mention they will want a showing though they have no intention to buy.  I have five kids, a dog, and elderly cats to drive around in a non-air conditioned car during showing times, so you can imagine that it is a very unpleasant experience for us, but necessary.  

So anyway, today we had a showing and our realtor was pretty shocked (a different realtor showed it but she spoke with him and he was also shocked) that the lady who came brought in a "parade" of friends and family.  She said several rooms worth.  Uh, what?  I mean I totally understand bringing your kids, or a couple people to help you make a responsible decision.  But why on earth would you bring that many people?  That makes me a little uncomfortable.  I mean, we can have an Open House if we need to, but it seems weird to just let everyone who wants to see a house tag along, doesn't it?  Wouldn't that be chaotic for trying to concentrate and look for issues? 

Anyone else have strange house showing stories?  I'm trying to make light of some of our dealings so far, it's just a very stressful time. 

Updated post #25

Ask that your home only be shown to 'loan pre-approved' buyers. maybe you can weed out some of the non-interested.

I always thought it was common courtesy to only bring into a home the number of people a realtor could supervise.  

• Like 19

A few neighbor friends and I go to open houses in the neighborhood to get a look-see at what is the norm in our neighborhood and what a buyer expects to get for their money in our neighborhood.  We don't tag along at showings, however, which is what this seems to be.

and conversation.

JAWM.  Or not. ;)

We are selling our house.  It's not a huge house but it's on a nice historic street in a very small town.  I've had quite a few people wander up to my house and just ask to see inside even before it was for sale, and others mention they will want a showing though they have no intention to buy.  I have five kids, a dog, and elderly cats to drive around in a non-air conditioned car during showing times, so you can imagine that it is a very unpleasant experience for us, but necessary.  

So anyway, today we had a showing and our realtor was pretty shocked (a different realtor showed it but she spoke with him and he was also shocked) that the lady who came brought in a "parade" of friends and family.  She said several rooms worth.  Uh, what?  I mean I totally understand bringing your kids, or a couple people to help you make a responsible decision.  But why on earth would you bring that many people?  That makes me a little uncomfortable.  I mean, we can have an Open House if we need to, but it seems weird to just let everyone who wants to see a house tag along, doesn't it?  Wouldn't that be chaotic for trying to concentrate and look for issues? 

Anyone else have strange house showing stories?  I'm trying to make light of some of our dealings so far, it's just a very stressful time. 

That's awful.  I can't imagine asking for a showing if I had no intention to buy.

I do go to open houses in my neighborhood, particularly if the house is the same model as mine.  Almost all the houses here have been remodeled/added on to - except mine.  So, I like to see what they've done, in case I ever get to.   I am very quick and don't take up the realtor's time at all though.

Sorry you are having to deal with this. Hope the house sells quickly!

• Like 1

Ask that your home only be shown to 'loan pre-approved' buyers. maybe you can weed out some of the non-interested.

This is what we did when we sold. I also requested a day's notice as we had young kids and pets.

You're not obligated to upend your entire household so that a non-serious buyer can have an afternoon's entertainment. As far as the large numbers of people accompanying the prospective buyer, I'd talk to the realtor about that and ask them to put some limits in place if that happens again. There's no way a realtor can keep an eye on that many people at one time. Your property and security are at risk with that many strangers wandering around unsupervised.

Hope you're able to sell quickly and be done with this whole process.

• Like 4

Here there will be at least one open house just to satisfy the nosy neighbors and lookeeloos.  And I was invited by my realtor to a realtor open house since I was a likely buyer (ended up a couple blocks away - and friends with the folks who did buy the first house.)   But arranging showings just out of curiosity, and taking whole groups through?  Rude and unprofessional. 

Growing up in S. California in the late 60s/early 70s, weekend open houses were a fun thing my mom took my kid sister and I too - we loved seeing the inside of large, professionally staged homes (we lived near, but not in, a very expensive part of OC and before the market crashed a great many mansions were built on spec.  We loved touring them!).

• Like 1

I think that's rude also.  I would especially be mad if someone asked for a showing with no intention of buying it.

We had a couple view our house on Easter Sunday. They stayed for HOURS and we were driving around with our sick kids. Afterwards they told us that they loved the house but their lease wasn't up for another six months. It was so frustrating. We had renovated an older ranch and we think they just wanted to get ideas for when they were ready to purchase--a walk through pinterest. :) We were angry, but in the end, even with a good realtor, you have to put up with some crazy to sell your house.

OP- I really think that is completely insane. It was irresponsible of the other realtor to allow them in the house; he may not have known that they would show up but that doesn't mean he had to let them in. It isn't your realtor's fault, but I would make sure to convey my displeasure and hope he does a better job screening potential showings.

• Like 2

That is obnoxious. I am so sorry.

My neighbor currently has her home on the market. Yesterday some potential buyers came with their dogs to the showing to see if the dogs would like the house. (without prior notice or approval)

That would have major consequences here. Our house is currently listed and if my son was unknowingly exposed to dog hair after a showing like that his face and hands would get huge welts and his eyes would swell and close up! I'd be so mad if that happened to us!!!

• Like 2

That is BEYOND rude and inappropriate.

Our house is currently on the market. After months of craziness, we pulled it off. Now we're relisted with a different agent. We're motivated to sell, because I've given the new agent (who came to us to ask if we'd relist with him after he saw it pulled from the market) one month (the month of August) to sell before we pull it for good - I just CANNOT continue with the number of showings during the school year again. 

Your agent should be able to put in the listing that only the potential buyers are allowed at showings - no extended family or friends.

• Like 1

:huh:  :confused1:  :svengo:

does this woman *really* plan on buying a house, or did she feed the showing agent a line to get in?  is your area hard pressed for entertainment?

upper priced listings only show to qualified (re: legitimate) buyers - can you do something like that with your house?  or maybe you could put out a sign stating the hours and price of admission for tours.  (you could fund your homeschool curriculum.)

I always thought it was common courtesy to only bring into a home the number of people a realtor could supervise.  

some realtors are weak willed and wouldn't be able to say no.  (I won't get into my experience with said realtors)

• Like 2

Yeah, that's a little weird.

I was a real estate agent for a while, and one time, I went to show a house for my supervising agent. The family was on vacation, so the house was vacant. Walked through the first floor, went up to the master bedroom, all was fine. Walked into the next bedroom, and a head popped up from the bed! Turns out that the college age daughter of the family had invited her boyfriend to stay while her parents were gone, and he was sleeping in the bed. Oops, busted! Startled me half to death!

• Like 4

That is obnoxious. I am so sorry.

My neighbor currently has her home on the market. Yesterday some potential buyers came with their dogs to the showing to see if the dogs would like the house. (without prior notice or approval)

Oh wow!  What if you had allergies?  I can't even imagine.  

I was a real estate agent for a while, and one time, I went to show a house for my supervising agent. The family was on vacation, so the house was vacant. Walked through the first floor, went up to the master bedroom, all was fine. Walked into the next bedroom, and a head popped up from the bed! Turns out that the college age daughter of the family had invited her boyfriend to stay while her parents were gone, and he was sleeping in the bed. Oops, busted! Startled me half to death!

property brothers had that happen to them once. (the guy slept through everything.)  they even kept it on the video.  they didn't go in that bedroom. 

This is what we did when we sold. I also requested a day's notice as we had young kids and pets.

You're not obligated to upend your entire household so that a non-serious buyer can have an afternoon's entertainment. As far as the large numbers of people accompanying the prospective buyer, I'd talk to the realtor about that and ask them to put some limits in place if that happens again. There's no way a realtor can keep an eye on that many people at one time. Your property and security are at risk with that many strangers wandering around unsupervised.

Thanks.  I will do that.  I will admit that was one of my concerns.  I had to leave one senile elderly cat and I was afraid in the chaos that she would be let out or into the hot attic.  And then we do have valuables that I guess I will take with us next time.  I am a pretty private person, so I didn't know if I was overreacting here.

I wouldn't mind having an Open House and have considered going to a couple, but I know what a pain a showing can be and wouldn't want to burden someone for a few minutes entertainment.  They spent 4x as much time at this showing than usual so my kids were super annoyed by the time we got home.  :lol:

Not normal.  But hopefully leads to an offer!

We were told that they want some non-necessary renovations and will probably low ball us so they can afford it.  It's already underpriced to sell fast, so this does not make us happy.  We spent $4000 just this week on renovations and are already going to take a loss. :(

:huh:   :confused1:   :svengo:

does this woman *really* plan on buying a house, or did she feed the showing agent a line to get in?  is your area hard pressed for entertainment?

upper priced listings only show to qualified (re: legitimate) buyers - can you do something like that with your house?  or maybe you could put out a sign stating the hours and price of admission for tours.  (you could fund your homeschool curriculum.)

some realtors are weak willed and wouldn't be able to say no.  (I won't get into my experience with said realtors)

Well, actually yes. LOL  I don't even have by far the nicest house on our National Register street but it's across from the Catholic Church so people know my house.  I don't mind if they're generally interested in buying, but just ask if they just want a look-see, kwim?  Admission does sound nice right now... ;)

Sorry for all of the multiple posts.  Multi-quote is not working for me.

Busted!   :lol:  When I woke up this morning (first day with no showing), I freaked out a little wondering if we just weren't in the loop and someone was here because I heard some pounding.  It's just the city tearing up the street.  Phew.

• Like 1

When we lived in a two-bedroom townhome with a small enclosed backyard and I was home, car-less, with twin toddler boys and a newborn (hence the need to move ;-)  the best I could do when an agent wanted to show the place  - it was winter and too cold to try and take three small kids on a walk - was to sit on the sofa with the toddlers and baby and pretend to be invisible.

One set of potential buyers came through, a mom and her adult daughter.  They immediately started to complain that the backyard was too small. Er, twits, it is a TOWNHOME. No, it is not going to have a large yard like a house. Anyway, they kept disparaging the townhome, until after they left I told our agent that in no circumstances would we consider ANY offer from them, should they make one.

Yeah, they did low-ball us. No, we did not even respond.  A single dude came and paid our asking price a week later. :-)

I just remembered - a week before closing dude called and asked if he could move some boxes and furniture in ahead of time. Er, no - what free space we had was full of OUR packed boxes.  And a double stroller, two high chairs, two energetic toddlers...no NO NO!

• Like 3

A lot of copy and pasting here from talking with a friend.  But just looking for more opinions. 

Here are the facts about this offer: 

1. House listed at 85k which is below value according to some contractors we know and were at our house in the last few days.  We have very little equity in the house, spent $4000 in the past week on completely redoing the porch for safety and function, and have spent $3000 more on metal roofing in the back on top of other repairs recently. We will not be walking away making any money and have no money to pay to sell this house.  No.money.  We are moving half way across country and have nowhere to live yet, so we are not dire to get out this month and have 1-3 months until we even need to move but can move sooner to stay with family if it sells fast. The house is well insulated and cool with a whole house fan and window a/cs that are very efficient.  I understand wanting central air, but it's not a necessary fix, kwim?

2. House has been on the market for about a week (or less?).  We've had 4 showings and more booked this week.  Lots of interest and it's a sellers market with very very few houses in this price range (between 50-100k) which in our rural community is very much in demand. 

3. Offer was for $85k with $10k cash given to the buyer.  They want to install central air and replace the perfectly fine roofing that the roofers have told us is definitely not in need of replacement.  Cash.  No escrow.  From what I can tell online, this is sometimes done but it's legally and ethically walking a very fine line to being straight up illegal to do this.  

4. No escrow earnest money, and NO pre-approval letter by the buyers.  Quote: "(I) know they have bought and sold homes before, so I would think will be good to go. I can get a pre-qualification letter and approval letter once it goes through." Note they don't have one already and we won't be given proof of financial eligibility until after we respond to their offer.

5. These are the people who took a ton through our house.  They came back by today with at least 12 people that I counted from my car once they sat in my yard hanging out for two hours after showing and using my house as a hang out while some of them (including the buyer) went and looked at the house for sale behind mine.  :glare:  Unrelated, but it didn't start my mood off very well sitting in a car with kids and pets at 92 degrees out with no a/c in the van. 

6. Am I right that we will be paying realtor fees and closing costs for the full amount yet only get 10k less than that, thus further decreasing the money we have to pay this place off?

I can't answer your questions but I did want to comment on something. Are you not pushing the realtor to hurry people along for the showing? I can't believe they would lollygag for two hours. I would just return and make them move along. You cannot be expected to sit around in the heat while they take their sweet time. And you can't really go to the library or somewhere with cats in the car. I'd be peeved at them all. It's a safety issue imo. Sitting in that heat. Sorry you are dealing with this!

She told us when they were done with our house, but then on our way back responded that they were staying parked in our drive to look at another house behind ours and they left people to hang out in our yard.  So we drove by over the next hour or more and they were still hanging out there. It was very frustrating.  The worst part is dh is diabetic and needed to get home to get his insulin.  He didn't want to take it out in the heat and we figured we'd be back in time. 

ETA: We did specify to our realtor that we wanted serious buyers only because of how difficult it is for us to get out.  But she just told us tonight that tomorrow's showing is just someone who "wants a look".  We are already very frustrated by this process and will be reiterating how serious we are about qualified or serious buyers when she comes over to bring us some papers tomorrow.

this is a sellers market - yet they want you to give them concession after concession? (after dragging 12 people for a two hour showing and using your driveway as a parking lot?) something is rotten in Denmark.

eta:  you don't have to accept an offer just because you've received one.  (it's not like it's full price - or they wouldn't be demanding cash back.)  we turned down several when selling my mother's condo before getting one with which we were happy.

• Like 24

On number six I know that you would be paying realtor fees on the whole amount, or at least, that is how it works here in California. I'm so sorry your situation sounds hard. It sounds like you need to have a sit down with your realtor. You can tell her when she mentions they are "wanting a look" no. Also if you require a loan approval or proof of funds (which is very normal in our area, DH is a realtor) it should weed out some of those people!

• Like 9

I think 10K is a lot to ask up front, especially at that price point. Keep in mind that the buyers may want more after the inspection. If the house is priced below market value, I would be hesitant to budge on the price very much, knowing that a buyer would potentially be asking for a credit or repairs from the inspection. Also, it's the other agent who should be taken to task for letting his/her clients hang around so long after the showing. That is very unprofessional, and your agent should be notified on the future when showings have gone past their scheduled time. Some sellers only allow for a 30 minute window per appointment. If the buyers are running late, they can always call to reschedule.

• Like 5

She told us when they were done with our house, but then on our way back responded that they were staying parked in our drive to look at another house behind ours and they left people to hang out in our yard.  So we drove by over the next hour or more and they were still hanging out there. It was very frustrating.  The worst part is dh is diabetic and needed to get home to get his insulin.  He didn't want to take it out in the heat and we figured we'd be back in time. 

ETA: We did specify to our realtor that we wanted serious buyers only because of how difficult it is for us to get out.  But she just told us tonight that tomorrow's showing is just someone who "wants a look".  We are already very frustrated by this process and will be reiterating how serious we are about qualified or serious buyers when she comes over to bring us some papers tomorrow.

I can't answer any of the technical questions but did want to comment here. Your realtor needs to remember that she works for YOU. If you only want preapproved buyers (and I would want the same), then that is what she should be bringing you. Honestly, I'd tell her "No. We clearly specified we only want buyers who are serious AND preapproved. Have them reschedule when they have a letter." Since you're in a seller's market and not in a hurry, I'd hold firm. I wouldn't accept a bad offer either under those circumstances.

• Like 31

#2.  So you're still really early in the process.  Maybe in 4-6 weeks you'd consider entertaining lower offers. 

#3. You don't have to counter.  You can just decline their offer or if you do counter, go back with what you want, even if it's full asking price w/no cash back or something like $96k with $10k back.  Unlike a buyer with a mortgage, who might be low on funds initially due to paying a large down payment, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me that a cash buyer wants cash back.  We're in the middle of selling our own house.  Before our house went under contract, someone low-balled an offer within the first week.  It was an all cash offer (w/ proof of funds) but was 15% below asking and we knew our house was well priced.  We didn't even bother to counter because we weren't desperate to move and it just wasn't a serious offer.  Later, we got two offers of nearly full ask price, so our asking price was not unreasonable.  This is a tricky point, though, because some sellers really do overvalue their houses and it hurts them even if they lower their price later.  This doesn't sound like your situation, though, because the fact that you are getting a lot of interest shows that your price is not far off.  Some buyers are just looking for a deal and are willing to keep making low offers to see if anyone will bite. 

#4. No, you REALLY don't want to accept an offer with no earnest money.  Doesn't it mean that they can just walk away at any time without penalty unless you take them to mediation/court?  Also, I thought cash buyers are supposed to show proof of funds (the full offer amount) in their bank account.  How can your realtor present you an offer without this?  This doesn't smell right to me.

#6  Yes, exactly.  You're going to be paying out at least 6% on that 10k (depends on your contract with your realtor, in terms of percentage) before being required to fork over the full 10k to the buyers, which is why I suggested countering at $11k over asking price in order to offer $10k back. 

Best of luck to you!

• Like 9

3. Offer was for $85k with $10k cash given to the buyer.  They want to install central air and replace the perfectly fine roofing that the roofers have told us is definitely not in need of replacement.  Cash.  No escrow.  From what I can tell online, this is sometimes done but it's legally and ethically walking a very fine line to being straight up illegal to do this.  

I must be grouchy this morning or something. If it were me, assuming that what they want to do is legal, helping them pay to replace a perfectly fine roof gets a "no." Want central air? They can save up their money and install it when they can afford it. It's great to have, sure, but you're not obligated to provide it. If they want a house with those things, then they should plan on spending more.

• Like 16

I would just turn the offer down- no counter offer. Maybe that will make these folks go away and drag their entourage to another house. 

You priced the house knowing it has no air conditioning.  To me it's like if a buyer wants hardwood floors, pool, or granite countertops. You want it? You pay for it.  Not the seller's job to pony up the cash to do that.   

Your buyer is out there- hope you find them soon. But this buyer doesn't seem worth the hassle. 

• Like 27

I agree with the others. Just flat out say no to the offer. You have it very reasonably prices, they're offering 10K less AND it's leaving you on dangerous ground legally. Don't do it. And talk to your realtor about the sort of offers she's putting through when you've been clear about what you want.

• Like 10

She WHAT?! She seems to misunderstand what's going on here. She's showing the house to all and sundry when you said you wanted to be picky, she's lying to try to get people to give you offers that day, she's giving you horrible offers (insulting ones, really) of questionable legality just to get it sold... does she somehow have the idea that you guys are desperate to sell asap or something? It sounds like you guys need to have a serious discussion with her.

• Like 19

It is odd.  It reminds me of the scam where people from out of town send payment for something (rent, car) for their child who is coming to attend the local college, but they send a check for more than the amount and ask you to wire them back the extra.  Later, their check bounces and you are out the amount you wired them.  This may not be a scam at all, but it sounds very odd.  If you aren't happy with the offer, don't take it or counter it.  Just say no.

• Like 5

She WHAT?! She seems to misunderstand what's going on here. She's showing the house to all and sundry when you said you wanted to be picky, she's lying to try to get people to give you offers that day, she's giving you horrible offers (insulting ones, really) of questionable legality just to get it sold... does she somehow have the idea that you guys are desperate to sell asap or something? It sounds like you guys need to have a serious discussion with her.

She says that it's normal here, which I don't doubt after our experience as buyers but it's getting frustrated.  She knows my husband starts work in NY this month, but the rest of us have nowhere to live until we find a place to buy (we can only find one rental and it's over 40 miles away from his work and over our budget), so we aren't desperate to get out this month.  We could have months longer until we find and buy a place.  We are not desperate enough to pull money from thin air for this deal just to have it out of our hand fast. Sigh. 

• Like 1

This.  I'd be concerned that the house was being cased for potential robbery.

Absolutely, tell your real estate agent to show only qualified buyers, and not an entourage. 

• Like 7

Thank you, everyone. Our realtor told the people looking this week that we already have an offer, so they need to be ready to make an offer today, so we had some people drop out.  :cursing:  I think I'll be doing FSBO if we ever sell again.

You don't have an offer if you have said no or countered the other offer. She is probably hoping for a multi offer bidding war by saying that.

While I do think sometimes a lookie loo is actually serious, you can insist on a short showing window, advance notice of showings, and a pre-approval/pof letter in hand.

It is okay for you to go back home in the situation you describe...the buyers hanging out in the driveway. It's not their home  yet. Drive up, have them move out of the driveway, and wave as you go in the house. Do not engage in conversation. Smile, be pleasant. Just be at home.

Selling is very hard work. Much harder than people imagine. It sounds as if you have it priced well. Don't get to emotionally involved in an offer. Run the numbers and the terms--if it works for you, go with it. If not, counter or refuse. I NEVER recommend refusing. Just counter with what makes you happy. You be surprised at the number of buyers who will rise to the occasion. they just had to try a low or weird offer first.

Good luck and hang in there!

• Like 7

A lot of copy and pasting here from talking with a friend.  But just looking for more opinions. 

Here are the facts about this offer: 

1. House listed at 85k which is below value according to some contractors we know and were at our house in the last few days.  We have very little equity in the house, spent $4000 in the past week on completely redoing the porch for safety and function, and have spent $3000 more on metal roofing in the back on top of other repairs recently. We will not be walking away making any money and have no money to pay to sell this house.  No.money.  We are moving half way across country and have nowhere to live yet, so we are not dire to get out this month and have 1-3 months until we even need to move but can move sooner to stay with family if it sells fast. The house is well insulated and cool with a whole house fan and window a/cs that are very efficient.  I understand wanting central air, but it's not a necessary fix, kwim?

2. House has been on the market for about a week (or less?).  We've had 4 showings and more booked this week.  Lots of interest and it's a sellers market with very very few houses in this price range (between 50-100k) which in our rural community is very much in demand. 

4. No escrow earnest money, and NO pre-approval letter by the buyers.  Quote: "(I) know they have bought and sold homes before, so I would think will be good to go. I can get a pre-qualification letter and approval letter once it goes through." Note they don't have one already and we won't be given proof of financial eligibility until after we respond to their offer.

5. These are the people who took a ton through our house.  They came back by today with at least 12 people that I counted from my car once they sat in my yard hanging out for two hours after showing and using my house as a hang out while some of them (including the buyer) went and looked at the house for sale behind mine.  :glare:  Unrelated, but it didn't start my mood off very well sitting in a car with kids and pets at 92 degrees out with no a/c in the van. 

6. Am I right that we will be paying realtor fees and closing costs for the full amount yet only get 10k less than that, thus further decreasing the money we have to pay this place off?

None of this is acceptable.  You can credit the buyer toward the price of the home, not give them cash (do you even have that much equity?).

Just say no. 

No earnest money?  Absolutely not.  Approval letter within 3 days of acceptance, period.  Put it in your Counter Offer, if you even bother with these people.  Just say NO.  You don't have to do anything.  If they want to buy it, they can make whatever changes they like. You don't have to pay them to buy it. 

Your agent does not know what she is doing.    No way she should even let them in without evidence they are serious buyers, much less let them stay for hours.   You should have gone back in within half an hour to 45 minutes. 

You should have used a discount listing company, as we have here.  Regular listing on MLS with a fee up front to the listing agent.  Then you only pay the 3% to the other side at sale.  Saves thousands and I got full service (even though I don't really need it).  Several of my friends and neighbors have now used this company.  I'm sure you have some too, just don't use the ones that identify themselves as a discount lister. 

• Like 5

Thank you, everyone. Our realtor told the people looking this week that we already have an offer, so they need to be ready to make an offer today, so we had some people drop out.  :cursing:  I think I'll be doing FSBO if we ever sell again.

What?  DO you have another offer?  If not, call her Broker now and report this and ask to be reassigned.  Also put it in an email.  You need a paper trail here. 

• Like 13

None of this is acceptable.  You can credit the buyer toward the price of the home, not give them cash (do you even have that much equity?).

Just say no. 

No earnest money?  Absolutely not.  Approval letter within 3 days of acceptance, period.  Put it in your Counter Offer, if you even bother with these people.  Just say NO.  You don't have to do anything.  If they want to buy it, they can make whatever changes they like. You don't have to pay them to buy it. 

Your agent does not know what she is doing.    No way she should even let them in without evidence they are serious buyers, much less let them stay for hours.   You should have gone back in within half an hour to 45 minutes. 

You should have used a discount listing company, as we have here.  Regular listing on MLS with a fee up front to the listing agent.  Then you only pay the 3% to the other side at sale.  Saves thousands and I got full service (even though I don't really need it).  Several of my friends and neighbors have now used this company.  I'm sure you have some too, just don't use the ones that identify themselves as a discount lister. 

I will counter with those.  We were thinking countering $82 with $2k earnest money and approval letter.  

We would have gone back, but there was literally a crowd in the way and these did not look like the type I would want to confront or even talk to (yes, I'm being judgey, but I have experience). 

No discount listing, I will keep that in mind if I'm ever insane enough to sell a house again. :p