Menu

What ASD Sounds Like at My House

After breakfast...

Me: "Peter, don't get distracted, check your schedule to see what you should be doing."

Peter: "What schedule?"

Me: "The After Breakfast schedule that we have been referring to for the last two years."

Peter: "Oh.  What should I do?"

Me: "What have you already done and what does it say to do next?"

Peter: "I washed my hands so I need to brush my teeth."

Me: "Okay, so go brush your teeth."

He disappears and reappears much too soon.

Me: "Did you brush your teeth?"

Peter: "My teeth?  No, I washed my hands."

Me: "But you had just washed your hands already.  You were supposed to brush your teeth."

Peter: "Ooops.  I was focusing so hard on listening that I couldn't pay attention to what you said to do."

Me: "Go try again.  I want you to touch your finger to your teeth the whole way to the bathroom so you remember you are supposed to brush them when you get there."

Lather, rinse, repeat all...day....long......   :willy_nilly:

• Like 7

After breakfast...

Me: "Peter, don't get distracted, check your schedule to see what you should be doing."

Peter: "What schedule?"

Me: "The After Breakfast schedule that we have been referring to for the last two years."

Peter: "Oh.  What should I do?"

Me: "What have you already done and what does it say to do next?"

Peter: "I washed my hands so I need to brush my teeth."

Me: "Okay, so go brush your teeth."

He disappears and reappears much too soon.

Me: "Did you brush your teeth?"

Peter: "My teeth?  No, I washed my hands."

Me: "But you had just washed your hands already.  You were supposed to brush your teeth."

Peter: "Ooops.  I was focusing so hard on listening that I couldn't pay attention to what you said to do."

Me: "Go try again.  I want you to touch your finger to your teeth the whole way to the bathroom so you remember you are supposed to brush them when you get there."

Lather, rinse, repeat all...day....long......   :willy_nilly:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: Hugs, my ADHD younger one is like this. It took years of training to get spotty adherence to hanging up towels and stuff after swimming. My older ASD one loves lists and would actually drive us nuts if he couldn't complete the list. We aren't sure if things are better with the list or not, lol! It can bring it's own troubles.

I hope you have the patience and sense of humor you need to deal with this today, and that you will eventually reach your goal in a way that works for your family.

• Like 1

A recent conversation with my 18 yo.

Me: Will you run the kitchen trash out to the dumpster? Your dad already took the dumpster to the curb. (ds usually takes it to the curb and it was Sunday night, our trash pickup is Monday morning)

Ds: goes outside and comes back in

Me: What did you just do? 

Ds: Brought the dumpster in from the curb.

Me: Would you take the kitchen trash to the dumpster and take the dumpster back to the curb please?

Ds: Sure.

Me:  :svengo:

• Like 2