Menu

hiring tutors...where do you find them?

I need to hire a new book club leader in the fall.  I've tried posting job ads on local homeschooling yahoogroups, craigslist, and I've sent job postings to the english departments at the local college and university.  Nothing is panning out.  By that mean, I received only one response, an email written with poor English usage.  

Do the WTMers have any secrets to finding and hiring these lovely people?  

Word of mouth or at local universities. That said, I think hiring a book club leader might be more difficult than typical one-on-one tutoring. That is a bit more like teaching and good teachers can be harder to find. Many fabulous tutors we have used would be uncomfortable with facilitating and planning a group setting without prior teaching experience.

• Like 1

My husband tutors and has been doing so (as well as teaching classes to homeschoolers) for over ten years now.  Most of his new clients come through word of mouth.

I'd second the suggestion to ask everyone you know if they might be able to recommend a tutor appropriate for your group.  In addition to asking librarians, you might also consider asking booksellers at a local independent book store (if you are fortunate enough to have one in your city).

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your ideas and encouragement!  The suggestion to contact librarians was gold!  It hadn't occurred to me, and I actually know our local children's librarian quite and well and she recommended a gem of a woman who is studying library science and currently leads a creative book club at the library.  I also was contacted via a craigslist ad I posted ($75) by an equally competent woman with experience both at the library and a local independent bookstore.  

This thread really helped me get off my rear end and check off another big item from my to do list.  WTM and the homeschooling parents who populate it are such a great resource!  

• Like 3

Thank you everyone for your ideas and encouragement!  The suggestion to contact librarians was gold! 

I'm glad you were able to find someone (well, two someones) to help.

Definitely word of mouth. Also, it's expensive. Math tutors run up to 75.00 per hour and reading Tutors are about 20 less. ...

Tutor costs can vary tremendously depending on where you live.  We live in a fairly low income area.  My husband who has a PhD tutors math and the physical sciences and charges $18.00 per hour.

Regards,

Kareni