Menu

Are squats and crunches still OK?

KungFuPanda

It occurs to me that I haven't updated the fitness portion of my class in a long while. The bulk of the class is spent on bellydance technique, but just before cooling off and stretching at the end I squeeze in a little fitness . . . usually crunches, squats, and glute squeezes. We do about 100 crunches of different varieties. We also do these standing squats, leaning forward with a flat back, and bouncing so that you feel the work in your thighs. (Anyone who feels pain or instability stands upright and does shallow pliés instead.) You are basically pulsing in this position:

Those of you who are fitness gurus . . . Are these exercises still considered beneficial and safe. I'm at a good point for an update if necessary and don't want to continue with a outdated program. I don't need the latest/greatest thing, but I do want to replace anything that the fitness gods have declared non-beneficial or even harmful.

fwiw I think squats rock, although many can't do them, it is good to work towards them even if you can't or your ROM is limited. Crunches I don't think are that great for an ab exercise, for one they don't use as many muscles as other ab exercises, most(many) do them improperly hurting their back or neck and not even using the abs and lastly many women who have had children have abdominal split (diastasis) which crunching only makes worse.

• Like 1

I can easily replace crunches with planks. I wouldn't have to fix everyone all the time if made that switch. Thanks everyone! It'll also help with our tight space issues in the larger class; fewer moving parts and all that. I'm no longer going to use google. I'm just going to say I know stuff because I Hived it :-)

• Like 5