Menu

Last Minute Trip - Good Nite Inn San Diego? Best Western Miramar?

SJ.

We are doing a last minute trip to San Diego.  Extremely last minute - we are leaving tomorrow night!  

We currently have reservations at the Best Western in Miramar.  Our plans are to do Lego Land, Sea World, and a day at the beach.

I am considering moving our reservation to the Good Nite Inn to save some money and be a little closer to the ocean.

Any experiences there?

Pros to the Best Western are good reviews, breakfast, refrigerator, microwave, and closer to Lego Land.  Cons - further from the beach and more expensive.

Pros to Good Nite Inn are close to Sea World, closer to the ocean, close to Old Town, and about $200 cheaper.

Cons - not sure about the reviews, further drive to Lego Land

Thanks!

Miramar is kind of far from all those places. It's up the 15 freeway, which can get nasty traffic. It will take you about 35 minutes (without traffic) to get to Legoland. That Good Night Inn gets terrible reviews, (I was looking for the address). What about looking for something in Mission Valley or Hotel Circle? That's your most central to Sea World and the beach without big $$. Legoland is way up the 5 freeway, so your going to get stuck in traffic there no matter what. 

Sorry, I can't help you with actual hotels in the area since it's been a while since I've had need of one.  However, I agree with mamakelly that location wise, the Miramar area is not the most desirable location to do tourist things, unless it's because you want to travel straight west into La Jolla on surface streets.  If you're wanting to go to the "Children's Pool" (seal cove), then Miramar is close enough to but you can avoid La Jolla prices. ;)

We like Mission Beach, but not because of the beach - my kids prefer Belmont Park vs. actually going to the beach.

Maybe you'd be better off moving hotels.  If you stay in Carlsbad the night before or day of  that you are going to Legoland, you can avoid being in traffic both ways.  Then you can drive south to do Sea World, Old Town, etc.  Or vice versa. Start south then head north.  Friends of ours just recently stayed in the Carlsbad area and enjoyed the beach up there.