Menu

PA/MD/VA/DE (+ any others) get together Round 2

creekland

Please only vote for days if you think you might come.  

14 members have voted

1. 1. These days work for me.

• Monday
    • Tuesday
    • Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • Friday
    • Saturday
    • Can't come, but wish I could and wanted to vote. ;)
  2. 2. These days do NOT work for me.

• Monday
    • Tuesday
    • Wednesday
    • Thursday
    • Friday
    • Saturday
    • Other - for those who don't have restrictions or who aren't able to come

Remember this?

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/545492-picture-of-hive-members-from-our-get-together/

A few of us have been talking behind the scenes about doing a Round 2.  Are you interested?

It's likely to be in the same church (Garga's) that we had it in last time as it worked out so well for all of us, including kids.  It is NOT, however, a religious event.  It's a fun get together with some food (optional) and fun conversation.

Our thoughts are Sept, but we want to get a feel for what dates/days could work - or not - for as many people as possible.  If we have some choices, Garga can check to see if the church is available.

It's in Southern PA (Littlestown), but open to ANYONE wanting to join us.  Last time we had representatives from the PA, MD, VA, & DE.  We'd welcome others - even TX.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 4

I'll have moved to NOVA by then and am very tempted to try to come. I never feel particularly successful when I meet online people in real life though.

We'd definitely love to have you.  I'm not sure what success is like for this, but we mainly just talked and ate - meeting each other more thoroughly than we can do online - putting faces with names.  I enjoyed it and it's given far more depth to the posts others have made.

I don't recall a single "touchy" moment and we didn't vote anyone off the island or send them to play with the kids.

My middle son was at the last one and he voluntarily played with the kids, but he'll be in college for this one.  No one sent him there anyway.  Plenty welcomed him discussion-wise when he was with us "big kids."

It's also quite casual clothing-wise.  I wore jeans to the last one (it was in March).  Pending weather I might wear shorts to this one.  No one will give a hoot what anyone wears to be honest.

And for food people just brought what they liked if they wanted to and we shared.  There was plenty, so no one needs to feel they MUST bring something.  They can still share.  (I know what tight budgets are like.)  If anyone has allergies or picky eaters or specific diets they can also just bring something for themselves and/or kids and I can't see any of us minding.

• Like 2

If you don't want to have a chance of any "Creepy Man Trolls" showing up, then I recommend having it on a Tuesday. ;)

If you're implying that you might come if it's on any other day... let me know.  Hubby thought it would be fun to come to our last one.  I think he was a little jealous that I let middle son come, but not him.  If there's another XY chromosome there... he'd probably enjoy meeting you!  

• Like 2

Well, depending on when it is, I'm gonna be visiting dd in VA. I might try and make it over, if y'all will have me. (I didn't see Louisianians as acceptable). ;-p

Hey now, we said Texans can come, so if they're welcome, everyone else definitely is!  

(And lest anyone wonder why I'm dissing TX - it's all in fun based upon a get together they were organizing...)

You'll have to let us know a date range that would work for you though.  This thread is all about trying to get a date that works for the most people interested in coming.  ;)

I'm empty nesting and work part time at my leisure, so I could show up anytime barring a last minute emergency or whatever (that could sideline any of us, so hopefully won't happen.)

• Like 2

Sept 17th we're going to see a musical group from 10-12. We can be there by about 12:30. Well, 12:17 if we race up the road.

Sept 23rd we're going to the State Museum for Homeschool Day from 10-3, so the entire day is out.

Other than that, my schedule is clear.

• Like 4

I'm in! Garga, thanks so much for the offer of using the church again. Creekland, thanks for posting. September looks good for me at present. I am only hsing my youngest, so he would most likely be the only kid during the day. Tues and Thur are my work days, but it is flexible (DH's businesses); Mon Wed are the best choices for me. Fridays are not good because of co-op. The 29 Sept is allotted for an event.

I can bring my Hershey's Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes this time, for real. Creekland, maybe I'll bring you...oh, I don't know, a beef stick or something. ;)

• Like 2

If you're implying that you might come if it's on any other day... let me know.  Hubby thought it would be fun to come to our last one.  I think he was a little jealous that I let middle son come, but not him.  If there's another XY chromosome there... he'd probably enjoy meeting you!  

Yes, you've deciphered my coded message!  DS17 teaches a course here on Tuesdays starting next month and we cannot leave our home alone filled with a bunch of teenagers.  But MomsintheGarden could make it without me on a Tuesday.

It would be great to meet your husband as well as other members from the boards!  Thanks for organizing another one of these.  I know MomsintheGarden really enjoyed the first one.

• Like 3

Sounds like fun, but I will not be able to attend. I am home bound until the spring.

Home bound due to transportation issues or something else?

It's possible we could work with transportation issues (and kids are certainly welcome to attend, so there are no babysitting issues).

Home bound due to transportation issues or something else?

It's possible we could work with transportation issues (and kids are certainly welcome to attend, so there are no babysitting issues).

Unfortunately, health issues (chemo). I would absolutely bring Doodle if I could attend. He would love it.

Unfortunately, health issues (chemo). I would absolutely bring Doodle if I could attend. He would love it.

Bummer, but I completely understand.  I trust you are spending some of your homebound time plotting a wonderful escape of some sort when it works out for your body...   :grouphug:

Chances are quite good that we'll have more of these next year.  We'll be looking forward to seeing you at one of those!

I'm just seeing this now. I am working a couple of those days, and every Friday night.  Now that my youngest is starting school in September, I am theoretically free more!  I will vote the least bad days for me and hope it works out.  Would love to meet you all!

Actually, I'm seeing now that between orthodontic visits and various commitments, the best day varies by the week.  I'll take a stab and hope it works out.  

• Like 1

Thread-jacking for a moment to say that I'm just a touch envious of those who participate in these get-togethers! We should get something going for those of us a wee bit too far south to attend this one! SW VA, NC, WV people? What do you think?

Sorry about that. Just had to speak up. Now back to the real thread!

No need to apologize!  I hope you can get a get together going.  I know I enjoy meeting Boardies IRL.  I believe I'm at 11 I've met in person.  Hopefully I'm not forgetting anyone...

• Like 2

How does September 8th or 10th work? (As I look at my calendar and realize I've scheduled some dental appointments for some afternoons.)

The 8th is too close to Labor Day (7th) for us.  We'll probably be returning from my in-laws that day (the 8th).  The 10th probably would be ok.  I'm not home to look at my wall calendar, but I don't recall anything else planned for that week.

Ok, chances are I'm going to need to pull out of a fall get together regardless of date (sorry!).  I knew there was the potential for a long term assignment (maternity leave) for one of the science teachers at school, but I had no plans to take it as it's not really my specialty (Animal & Plant Science + Bio) and I'm not fond of being tied down in general for 10 weeks.

However, that was before our tenant issue (mentioned in the venting thread).  This would cover that loss.  And the teacher really would prefer if I go in for her as she tells me they don't have anyone "better" for those classes.  Covering the loss financially would allow us to resume our travels - esp in Feb...  Since we're on a trip now (see the Columbia clothing warning thread), my "need" to keep traveling is duly noted.

I suspect I'm going to opt to take the job (definite answer tomorrow, but that's the way I'm leaning).

After Thanksgiving my schedule should resume as normal.

• Like 1

Ok, chances are I'm going to need to pull out of a fall get together regardless of date (sorry!). I knew there was the potential for a long term assignment (maternity leave) for one of the science teachers at school, but I had no plans to take it as it's not really my specialty (Animal & Plant Science + Bio) and I'm not fond of being tied down in general for 10 weeks.

However, that was before our tenant issue (mentioned in the venting thread). This would cover that loss. And the teacher really would prefer if I go in for her as she tells me they don't have anyone "better" for those classes. Covering the loss financially would allow us to resume our travels - esp in Feb... Since we're on a trip now (see the Columbia clothing warning thread), my "need" to keep traveling is duly noted.

I suspect I'm going to opt to take the job (definite answer tomorrow, but that's the way I'm leaning).

Bummer! But congrats on the job!

• Like 2

Ok, chances are I'm going to need to pull out of a fall get together regardless of date (sorry!). I knew there was the potential for a long term assignment (maternity leave) for one of the science teachers at school, but I had no plans to take it as it's not really my specialty (Animal & Plant Science + Bio) and I'm not fond of being tied down in general for 10 weeks.

However, that was before our tenant issue (mentioned in the venting thread). This would cover that loss. And the teacher really would prefer if I go in for her as she tells me they don't have anyone "better" for those classes. Covering the loss financially would allow us to resume our travels - esp in Feb... Since we're on a trip now (see the Columbia clothing warning thread), my "need" to keep traveling is duly noted.

I don't *like* this, but it makes sense for you to do the maternity leave spot. I'll miss you!

• Like 1

How does September 8th or 10th work? (As I look at my calendar and realize I've scheduled some dental appointments for some afternoons.)

Out of those two, the 10th is probably better for me.

I don't *like* this, but it makes sense for you to do the maternity leave spot. I'll miss you!

I'll still be around online and ought to be able to come to other get togethers after this next one.

I just can't argue against how obvious this one looks, esp since I do our family finances AND organize our travel.  This teacher asked me last year and I delayed answering her - plus assumed she had found someone else and didn't worry about it when I didn't hear from her again.  Then there was this phone call today... within a week of getting the hit on our finances... and right when I'm at the beach realizing how difficult it will be (as a travel junkie) to give up traveling.

Other than missing our get together, having to back out of seeing middle son over his fall break, and cancel a doctor appt - for those of us who believe in a Creator assisting us with our lives - this is pretty darn obvious - as big a flag waving/guiding to an open door as one can get.  Plus I do like teaching and will admit I feel I can fill in for the job decently using her materials, so it ought to be fun.  I just have to adjust to 10 weeks with no break.  I'm pretty "in love" with part time.  I've done it a fair number of times before and survived though.   ;)

• Like 2

September 10th is free for the church. They've blocked out the day for me until I give them the times. We'll have access to the gym, the kitchen, bathrooms, and the kid's play area.

So...what time do we want to meet?

After twelve is preferable for me, or early, if I leave at 10:50 to take the kids to class. (I can't really drop them off any more because the four-year-old has joined the class, but he doesn't always make it through the whole thing, so I feel that I need to be there in case he tires out.)

If the teacher's baby hasn't come by then, I can still come.  I wouldn't necessarily count on it as her other babies have come early and this one is due Sept 8th.

Amira, what general area (state and/or area) would you be coming from?  Catching rides is always a possibility.  How many would be coming (you and ??? kids)?

• Like 2