Menu

s/o What common foods/condiments/etc do you admit not liking?

creekland

On another thread several people confessed to not liking mayo...

I like mayo, but I have my own confessions.  

I don't like (and won't eat unless I absolutely have to in order to be polite - even then - it's iffy):

raw tomatoes (cooked are fine)

olives of any type

dill pickles (unless they are on burgers or Chick Fil A sandwiches - only exceptions)

jalapenos 

crabs

clams/oysters/similar

sushi

Dr. Pepper

Sweet tea (any form)

Coffee

Cream of mushroom soup (though I love mushrooms)

Goldfish crackers - or anything similar cheese/cracker types

Chex Mix

General Tso's chicken

I'm sure there are some things I'm not thinking of, but those come to mind at the moment.

What are yours?

Hmmm..... trying to think of something I won't eat.

liver

kidneys

oysters

calamari (it's all texture)

Cheez Whiz

Anything sweetened with aspartame, give me real sugar

Mayo, ketchup, all mustards, tartar sauce I like although I stay away from them except for mustard

Cake, mayo potato chips, coffee. I didn't like coffee even before I became a member of the LDS Church.

Coffee definitely!  I had to go back and edit my OP to add that one.  I have no idea how I forgot it the first time.  It's one I can't even drink to be polite - and yes - I've tried multiple varieties due to those who are certain I just haven't had the right one.  They all make me gag.

• Like 1

Watermelon!!

Funny story... In college I spent 5 weeks in Ecuador being hosted by this wonderful family. The mom of the family asked me if there was anything I didn't eat or particularly loved so she could plan meals accordingly. At that point I could eat watermelon but just didn't like it so I didn't think to mention it. Every morning she served me a huge plate of fresh fruit. One morning the only thing on the plate was watermelon so I sucked it up and had some. I immediately got nauseous and ran to the bathroom to throw up. We both felt terrible but laughed about it once I explained that I didn't really like it but never reacted that way to it before. Presently, the smell of it makes me nauseous.

Cold cheese.  I love melted cheese, but cold cheese is the nastiest thing. blech.

Green candy.  I hate, loathe, despise fake lime flavoring.  If I accidentally eat something lime flavored, I WILL spit it out.  Oddly, I like REAL lime juice and key lime pie.  I'm not a fan of green apple flavoring either. 

Cottage cheese. *shudder*

• Like 1

Mayo & olives are yucky. Mayo I can take in very specific instances, olives in no instances.

I've never liked zucchini, but it didn't prevent me from eating it anyway. It's a healthy choice, so I eat it occasionally.

This summer, I have received so much zucchini in my CSA that I am really starting to despise it. I may never eat it again after this summer.

ETA: Capers are EW!

Carrots. Blah!

True story, first time out of the house after birth number 3 and hubby took me to a Mongolian BBQ place. You circle the stuff you want (beef, chicken, which veggies, etc.) In my sleep deprived state I circled CARROTS!! When my plate came and I saw all those orange sticks, I cried. I ugly cried right there.

To this day we still joke about it. Was it post pardum hormones or am I a freak? Or both?!

Oh and hold ALL cilantro. Please and thank you.

I really dislike:

Sweet pickles or sweet pickle relish

Beets

Any sort of processed cheese like stuff or cheese flavored stuff- velveteta, cheese whiz, Cheetos, Doritos etc.

Green olives

Sundried tomato anything

Any mayo or miracle whip thing except for Hellman's/best foods and homemade mayo

Chowders

Cheese sauce

Sour cream

Cottage cheese

Yogurt

Milk

Cream of anything soup

Milk gravy

Boxed mac and cheese

I'm not wild about feta cheese either. And I am very picky about chips too. I mostly only like unsalted kettle type chips.

I like almost everything,but I can't stand the combination of raspberry and chocolate. It just doesn't go together for me. Love them separately though.

I don't really like corn on the cob. I like the taste, but it's such a pain to eat. I hate when food gets stuck in my teeth. Maryland blue crabs too. Such a PIA to eat for such little meat.

things that other people in my house will eat, that I won't.  (some of the previously mentioned items we don't buy) - some are in very small quantities in specific items.

miracle whip

kalamata olives  :angry:  (they put. them. on. my. gyro!!!!  I was asking what they put on them when they shoved it in my hand and moved on to the next person. I'll never buy a gyro from them again!  I used to look forward to them at our arts and crafts fair - the only time I had one of theirs.  dh took me out for gyros at our regular shop just to make things better.)

Dijon mustard

calamari - dh loves it

processed cheese. :ack2:

jalapenos

I can't stand these things:

Olives of any type (even if I pick them out, I can still taste them, ick!)

bitter veggies like brussel sprouts

fake melted cheese (like on an Arbys melt sandwich), but I love real melted cheese

runny eggs, including sunny side up

food with raw egg in it

salsa

cilantro

French onion soup

soggy bread in anything

anything spicier than a mild taco seasoning

hot peppers

coffee

tea, hot or cold

turkey lunch meat (though I like roasted turkey)

lunch meat that has been processed and pressed, like cheap deli ham (though I like bologna and love salami)

tomato on sandwiches (though I like tomato in general)

And I can't eat most soft foods that have bits of texture in them, like tapioca pudding. Or orange juice with pulp. Or milk that has cookie crumbs floating in it after dunking a cookie.

I dislike anything flavored like Concord grapes, including Concord grapes. That means grape flavored candies and medicine are right out.

I don't eat mushrooms.

I don't eat durian. (This may not be common...?)

I avoid squid after the time I ate it and threw up. I'm sure that I threw up because I was already sick, but regardless, even the thought of it brings back the nausea.

I don't eat ramen noodles after the time I was a kid and I opened a package and a cockroach crawled out.

I don't drink alcohol. I dislike the smell of most alcoholic beverages, and I figure that if I wouldn't eat rotten fruit I probably shouldn't drink rotten fruit juice. (Yet I love blue cheese. Go fig.)

I don't like anything with raisins baked in.

I have a bad reaction to Jerusalem artichokes, and therefore do not eat them. They taste fine, but they do not like me.

I don't drink coffee, though I like the smell. I will eat good quality coffee ice cream in small amounts, though.

I don't eat mango - at least, not the varieties commonly found in my neck of the woods. It's entirely possible that there is another variety I'd like just fine.

I don't eat flan. Something about the texture bugs the heck outta me.

Other than that, I eat just about anything that's widely considered edible. I enjoy trying new foods, especially things I've read about and have never eaten. (This is how I discovered tongue. Goes great in a taco.)

Edit: Thought of three other things:

I can taste corn syrup, so I try to get foods without rather than with.

I'm not a fan of either lychees or mamoncillo, which the girls love, so we always seem to have them in the house. Mamoncillo has this weird texture thing going on that is slimy and fuzzy at the same time?

Normally:

ketchup - I call it candied tomato sauce - blech!

sweet pickles

processed cheese

most overly processed food (like boxed beef stroganoff)

raw zucchini

ginger - unless it's well blended with other food

chocolate with mint - like them separately, but hate them together, reminds me of chocolate toothpaste

When I pregnant (like now):

everything except cheese

Raw tomatoes. Cooked are fine but I can't stand raw

Coffee

Anything bitter like grapefruit or tonic water, I never tasted any of them as a child, my parents didn't eat any bitter foods, and as an adult I just can't adjust to the flavour and sensation of bitter. 

I cannot stand Mayo.  Blurgh.

Not a fan of anything pickled.

I don't like salad dressings.

This.

There are some salad dressings I'll do... just lemon and olive oil, for example. But generally, yuck. There are some other foods I'm not into as well like artichokes and beets, but really it's about those condiments and when something is mayo'ed or vinegary then it's out for me and that's a huge number of things, sadly.

I can't stand anything with miracle whip, cool whip, cheese whiz or any fake cheese like singles, margarine, aspartame ( diet pop etc)

Baked goods made with corn syrup, or vegetable shortening. They just taste off to me. Give me real butter, and sugar any day.

Any type of watermelon flavoring.

Boxed scalloped potatoes, too salty for me.

The texture of powdered potatoes makes me gag.

Pickled pretty much anything except kosher dills.

I hate any kind of relish.

Avocado. I've tried to love it, but just can't unless it's in sushi.

Any kind of canned pasta, especially alphaghetti.

Even the smell of it in the air makes me sick.

I can't eat raw apples, pears, plums, peaches, nectarines, carrots, celery, potatoes, and almonds. My lips, and mouth swell, and itch.

American cheese

raspberries (texture issues)

caramel

I don't eat meat, but before I stopped, there were a number of meat items I didn't care for. 

I was raised in a household where if you were served something you didn't care for (especially at someone else's home), you smile and eat it anyway. I suffered through a number of dinners with clams and scallops (ugh) growing up. 

Ketchup! I like tomatoes, salsa, etc,, but I just don't care for ketchup on anything. I especially cannot tolerate it on hotdogs. 

Coconut. I really just don't care for coconut much at all, and especially not if it's combined with chocolate.

A little cilantro is okay, but I never add it to anything I'm fixing myself. 

Chocolate

Coconut

Pickles

Tea or coffee

Mayo unless it's on potato salad or coleslaw

Ketchup unless it's on fries

Mustard under any circumstances

Any potato chips except Frito Lays originals

Any crackers except saltines or graham

Any nuts except peanuts

I like everything mentioned up to this point in this thread. In fact, I like some of the foods quite a bit. But, I cannot stand  ..... chocolate. I try & try but just don't enjoy.  :leaving:  

Hey! I finally met someone else who loathes it!

I gave up trying a long ago. I just smile and say 'no thanks, more for everyone else'.