Menu

Foods after braces get tightened and mouth hurts

momofkhm

DS is of no help.  Food holds no interest right now.  He had to go to driver's ed this afternoon (all afternoon) and he only had applesauce for lunch.  I stopped and got him a frosty from Wendy's on the way.  He truly started eating it to humor me.  I had offered a smoothie, but it has fruit in it.

As I'm dropping him off, I asked him what he wanted me to get him soft for dinner.  He doesn't know. He had an "appliance" placed today so I think we don't have to worry about rubber bands anymore.  But evidently from now on going to the ortho will be worse.   So what are (were) your go to foods hen braces get tightened?  

Soup, of the brothy, watery kind. After a day of soup, applesauce, yogurt, and pudding. Another day later, hamburgers and very soft pancakes, maybe mashed potatoes or similar foods.

Older kiddo, who's the one with the braces, swears it hurts a little for a whole week. I don't know if this is the case, but it's just as easy to go along with it.

I always buy my daughter a milkshake right after leaving her orthodontist. I'd buy her smoothies, but she doesn't like the texture. Pudding is my dd's favorite snack. She'll eat soup or soft pasta the first day of any significant changes, mashed potatoes, soft fruit and veggies. The second day is much better usually and she will move on to softer solid foods but still snack on pudding (her favorite).

Yes, my older daughter is almost ready to get her braces off....:) Now we're getting ready for the younger one.

She (older daughter) also said they hurt for about a week...but the pain level goes down some each day that passes.

In addition to the above ideas, we also make spaghetti...her favorite....and she could cut the noodles to make it easier to eat. She loves veggie Lo-Mein too.

Ice cream, frozen yogurt, smoothies, etc. are all nice treats too.

My ds loved a smoothy made of chocolate milk, peanut butter and a banana. Figured we covered a lot of food groups with this.  As others have said, keep ahead of the pain with ibuprophen.  We also had a prescription for tylenol with codeine. Some kids do well with codeine others don't.

I would eat a big meal and take a pain killer before my appointment and then usually skip lunch and eat some soup or stew or something soft like beans and rice or shepard's pie for dinner. The next day I would usually be ok to eat whatever, though still a little sore. Hamburgers were also an option, not a lot to chew.

• Like 1

Hamburgers were also an option, not a lot to chew.

That's what my ds often eats. Even though he has pain from the ortho, he is more interested in eating, so he just eats regular food anyway. Hamburgers seem to be a good option the day of an ortho visit or the day after.

Not sure what appliance your ds got, but when my ds got a palate expander in the roof of his mouth, we tried pasta that night so he would have something soft. It was a huge disaster because it was a little bit sticky & got stuck between the expander & the roof of his mouth. All that to say, maybe just try a regular food your ds likes & see if he can handle it. He might like that better than a diet of soft foods.

Wait... what?

Tee hee. Not made with frog eyes--they're just little round pasta bits. Acini di Pipe is the other name but I always forget it. Most recipes I run into with it are for salads. Doesn't frog eye salad sound delicious?  :laugh:

http://smile.amazon.com/Cecco-Acini-Di-Pepe-16oz/dp/B0000D17HA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1438186641&sr=8-2&keywords=acini+di+pepe+pasta