Menu

Which book?

SemiSweet

Dh is taking me to Kauai for my birthday in August, this will be our first child-free vacation in 3 years and our very first vacation where our primary purpose is to relax. We are staying in a resort and intend to spend lots of time at the beaches or pools, which brings me to my question. I've been reading a lot of heavy, darker type books lately but really want something light and funny. Suggestions?

• Like 1

Oh what fun, enjoy your vacation! :) :)  I went to Kauai many many year ago.  At the time, it was less developed than the other islands, no idea if that still holds.

What do you like to read? Are you looking for real books or Kindle types or it doesn't matter?

"The Rosie Project" was a good read.  I also loved Debora Geary's whole witch series.    Historical fiction can be fun.  Have you ever read any Philippa Gregory.   Let's see....what else.... Jennifer Weiner and Jodi Picault,...both write good beach reads IMHO.

• Like 3

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely check them out!

I've read some Jennifer Weiner and used to really enjoy Sophie Kinsella and Jen Lancaster, otherwise I just seem to always stick with heavier reading for some reason.

It can be either kindle or a physical book.

We live on Oahu currently (though not for long) and Kauai is still supposed to be one of the less developed, I'm really looking forward to it! The only other island we've been to is he Bug Island, and I absolutely loved it there.

• Like 1

Do you care to read romance? If so, try books by Julie James. Her characters tend to have witty dialogue.

Regards,

Kareni

Seconding Julie James! I buy her books on the release days :D No one writes humorous dialogue the way she does. Her female characters are all strong, competent adults.

Her books, except for the first few written, contain some adult content :) Just mentioning it because some don't care for that.

• Like 3

Yes, I like romance, I'll check her out, thanks!

If you'd like a historical romance, I'd recommend:

Joanna Bourne's The Spymaster's Lady and others in The Spymaster Series.

Lisa Kleypas' Secrets of a Summer Night and the others in The Wallflowers series.

LaVyrle Spencer's Morning Glory.

Eloisa James (try When Beauty Tamed the Beast). 

I'd also recommend Courtney Milan (try Unveiled) and Sherry Thomas (try Delicious).

Lisa Kleypas also has a good contemporary romance series starting with Sugar Daddy.  The second book in the series though deals with a  dark subject.

Are you a conservative reader? If not, you might try Sarina Bowen's new adult series which starts with The Year We Fell Down.

Does time travel appeal to you?

Some of my favorite time travel books have been Time and Again by Jack Finney and its sequel From Time to Time as well as Replay by Ken Grimwood. 

I also enjoyed the young adult book Jumper by Steven Gould and Flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer.

For an enjoyable paranormal series, I recommend the Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs which starts with a novella in this compilation:  On the Prowl (Alpha and Omega).  The first full novel in the series is Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega Book 1).

For a different kind of light hearted book, I'd suggest The Little World of Don Camillo by Giovanni Guareschi. It is a series of about six books about an Italian priest and his nemesis the Communist mayor set in the 1950s in Italy. The priest sometimes talks to Christ on the cross who talks back to him.  The wikipedia entry will give you a good idea of the content of the series.

I second the suggestion of books by Bill Bryson -- He writes non-fiction that is usually entertaining; I like his books about language and also his biography of Shakespeare. One of my favorites is The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

For an enjoyable paranormal series, I recommend the Alpha and Omega series by Patricia Briggs which starts with a novella in this compilation: On the Prowl (Alpha and Omega). The first full novel in the series is Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega Book 1).

Regards,

Kareni

And the companion series, the Mercy Thompson books! They follow many of the same characters and run parallel to the Alpha/Omega series:)

• Like 3