Menu

Has anyone had LASIK? Opinions?

Murphy101

My vision is getting significantly worse as I age. No big surprise there.

Years ago I wouldn't have considered LASIK, but I think it has progressed significantly from what was available years ago and now I'm willing to consider it.

How long does the surgerical improvement last?

How long was recovery to normal?

Was the cost insane? (No insurance for me unfortunately, tho I never had any that would cover it anyways.)

Would you do it again?

I doubt I can afford it this year. But *fingered perpetually crossed* maybe next year.

I think I'm going to call around for reputable doctors and see what all is available, but I was curious as to btdt perspectives too.

I had it done about 9 years ago. Best money I ever spent in my life. The only "recovery" was really that I couldn't wear eye make-up for several weeks. Otherwise, I was up and at 'em the next day; drove myself to the doctor's office for a check-up, stopped along the way and bought an inexpensive pair of sunglasses and rejoiced that I could wear them, because when I wore contacts, I had to buy prescription-quality glass--imperfections in inexpensive glasses made me woozy. :-)

I would DEFINITELY do it again, although I might consider mono-vision, where one eye does distance and one eye does close up. A friend did that, and she said that the first year was tricky but now everything is fine. I still need to wear readers, which I don't mind, but still...:-)

• Like 1

One of the best things I ever did.  I couldn't even read the HUGE E on the eye chart before and after I had 20/20 vision for years.  Now about 9 years later I have glasses again just to make everything crisp but I am still legal to drive without the glasses.

The preop testing took longer than the procedure.  A friend dropped me off and went down the road with my girls Krispy Kreme for a treat.  I called her to tell her I was done before they were even finished eating their doughnuts.  I think I had to keep my eyes closed as much as possible that day and use some eye drops but by the next day I was good to go.

I don't know if it is offered where you live but AFTER I had my surgery, I found out that they had a $500 off coupon at a local women's expo.  Wish I had known that before.  You might ask about any discounts or specials, etc.

• Like 1

I had it done about 9 years ago. Best money I ever spent in my life. The only "recovery" was really that I couldn't wear eye make-up for several weeks. Otherwise, I was up and at 'em the next day; drove myself to the doctor's office for a check-up, stopped along the way and bought an inexpensive pair of sunglasses and rejoiced that I could wear them, because when I wore contacts, I had to buy prescription-quality glass--imperfections in inexpensive glasses made me woozy. :-)

I would DEFINITELY do it again, although I might consider mono-vision, where one eye does distance and one eye does close up. A friend did that, and she said that the first year was tricky but now everything is fine. I still need to wear readers, which I don't mind, but still...:-)

If I still have to wear glasses to read, then it's a waste bc I read all. The. Time. I'd never take them off bc I'd always be putting them back on.

So that's certainly something I'll need to make clear about my needs.

I had it done in 2008.  Best money I ever spent.  It's amazing to be able to see, uncorrected, when I never did before.  My vision is still 20/15.

That said, I'm over 40 now and starting to notice that the day when I'll need reading glasses is coming sooner than I would like.  I may actually have the surgery again so that one eye is corrected for far-sightedness, eliminating the need for readers.  My sister did that (after having had regular LASIK about 10 years prior) and her vision is perfect, about 6 years later.  She's 56 now.

I had it done about six or seven years ago. The cost was right about $5000. I was slowly progressing toward legally blind and was corrected to almost 20/20. I was actually corrected more than I could be corrected with glasses at the time, which is supposed to be impossible. I'm still so happy that I did it!

Recovery for me was about 4 days. Had the surgery on a Thursday, took a 4 day weekend, and returned to work with no issues on the following Tuesday. The first 24-36 hours were a bit rough for me. I couldn't handle any light, even a candle was a bit painful.

The improvement is permanent, but your eyes will continue to worsen with age. It is simply that the "starting point" will be your new improved vision. Six years after, the optometrist tells me that I am testing a bit worse than right after the surgery, and she could prescribe glasses to correct that, but I'm still thrilled with how well I'm seeing and don't find a need.

My vision isn't so bad that I can't see the E.

But when driving I can't clearly read the street signs until I'm about 20 feet from them. I've lived here my entire life and based on the general shape of the fuzzy lines, I can make an educated guess from quite a distance further. But still annoying. And not good. So I tend to avoid driving.

I cannot drive after dark. The star burst affect is blinding. It was so bad last winter that I really didn't feel safe driving more than a few miles from the house. Last year was the first time it was that awful. The first time it got dark on the way home from something and all the sudden I was white-knuckling it the 11 miles home. After that, Dh or one of the older kids had to drive me everywhere once it got dark. And if they couldn't, I stayed home. They don't mind doing it, but it's frustrating to have to base what I can do around how much daylight I have left, especially when it starts to get dark at 6 pm.

I used to read several hundred pages a day. Now it takes me a week to finish one book bc I get an awful headache after awhile.

I love my knitting but the eye fatigue wears me out way before my hands bother me. And anything on a needle below a U.S. Size 2 is just not gonna happen. It's like threading a needle below that.

And the transition from close up to distance is difficult to overcome. It can take several minutes for my vision to be clear when looking up from knitting to say, the big screen tv 15 ft away. I can see it, but it looks like there's a film across it for a few minutes.

If LASIK could correct all of this and likely stay corrected for 10 years or so, I think it might be time to seriously consider it.

I also had it about 8 years ago and would for sure recommend it.  The day of the surgery was a little uncomfortable but I felt 90% by the second day.  I also had to travel 4 hours to have it done so I think that contributed to the discomfort.  My vision is still 20/20 but I am in my 40s and have been warned that I may need reading glasses eventually.  So far so good.

I had it done 12 years ago. I could no longer wear contacts after a horrible eye infection. I could not see without glasses and taking my 3 little kids to the pool was stressful as my glasses were covered with water all the time. I had the surgery and the next morning I could see! I could see!!!! I have maintained perfect vision since then. I have a little haloing when I am tired and driving at night. BUT it was the best decision ever.

Dh had it and it was awesome. Recovery was literally laying down that day, and his vision should stay good until age deteriorates it. Oh and he had to use eye drops for a week. He doesn't need glasses for reading anymore. Cost wasn't crazy though it differs depending on the surgery and we are in Aus. Tbh we forget he ever had it done. I've almost forgotten how he looked with glasses.

One of his friends had it and he did have migraines for a week afterwards. That is rare but one possible recovery issue.

I got it done in Feb. of 2001.  The cost was $5,000 but he gave teachers discounts and I was working in the PS at the time.  I paid $3,600 total.  I am glad I did it.  I researched to find the person my eye doctor said was the best.  I went to the doctor who fixed the eyes of those who went to the cheap places first.  I went to Dr. Maloney in Los Angeles.

My husband had it 9-10 years ago.  His vision was really bad. He is currently 45 and showing no signs of needing reading glasses, although the doctor told him he eventually would. 

He would do it again in a heartbeat.  He still remembers the shock of waking up that first morning and being able to see without grabbing glasses or contacts.

I did it about 2 1/2 years ago after hesitating about it for years. I wasn't able to read any of the chart and could not tell how many fingers the doc was holding up. I had a high-end computerized LASIK and ended up with 20/30 vision. I wish I had done it years before. All total was $3500 with lifetime touchups.

Recovery was almost nothing. The next day I was a bit cloudy but my vision was already 20/50. I could have driven if I had wanted to. The only downside is that now my eyes are very sensitive to light and I cannot be outside without shades.

I was 34.

Go for a consult before you get your hopes up. I have had two friends who were not good candidates due to the shape of their corneas. I had it done at age 34 and wish I'd done it sooner. My vision is still 20/15 nearly 6 years later. The doctor said I would eventually need reading glasses due to age because it's not magic. ;) The surgery itself was freaky. The Valium made me hyper anxious and I wanted to crawl out of my skin. But overall so, so worth it!

Can this be done for astigmatism and myopia? I'm legally blind with out my glasses and would like to wear sunglasses (can't wear contacts, they irritate my eyes too much)

I had severe astigmatism and myopia though was not yet legally blind. It forced me into a fancier, more expensive procedure, but I was still a candidate. They estimated I would have 20/50 vision. At 2 weeks I had 20/30. They asked if I wanted correction for that, and I laughed maniacally and walked out.

Everything depends on that consult, though.

Of course, the consult is key.

I'm just trying to get an idea for whether I even want a consult.

I think I do, tho I might not be a good candidate.

Cronic severe dry eye that is under treatment. I might still qualify, but I'd be risking the dry eye getting significantly worse in favor of improved vision over all. (Severe dry eye actually affects vision too, so that's a consideration.)

My DH had it done about 15 years ago.  My dad also had it done about the same time (he died this year).  Both were extremely nearsighted.  Both had a GREAT experience.  My DH's recovery was a little odd and he needed a little more followup but he recovered fine.   He occasionally uses reading glasses now.  I feel like the prices here are better now than they were 15 years ago. 

The only thing I would say is if your prescription is actively changing every year, you may not be a good candidate.  I thought most places recommend a 2 year stable prescription.

Both my kids are pretty nearsighted and I would love if we could do it for them when they graduate college if their prescriptions are stable. 

ETA - my DH was like 37 or 38 when his were done.  My dad must have been about 56. 

I had LASIK in 1999.  Best thing I ever did as I was -9.5 in both eyes.

Now I'm in my mid-40s..and I need reading glasses.  I still have some astigmatism (they couldn't correct for it back then).  Still, I'd do it again. I had an issue with dry eyes and especially flying the first year, but that went away.    Worst part for me was watching the video of surgery as my consent.  Blech. 

I paid $4,000 back then.  Had a 20% discount.

DH is an ophthalmologist and he hates that I had LASIK.  Even though I had a good outcome, too. He says, you just don't destroy healthy tissue.  Plus, he's seen some complications.  It's weird how many ophthalmologists we see at the conferences wear glasses.  LOL   I'd still do it...in spite of what I know now.

Depending on your age, know that as you get older and develop cataracts (most people do, it's normal), they can fit you with a prescriptive intraocular lens which will work as kind of a permanent contact lens.  I have no idea how old you are or how far away that could be, though. :)

Ha! My dh was horrified when I told him tonight I wanted to look into it.

Like your dh, our general orevailing philosophy is if it works or is healthy - leave it alone.

But I no longer feel like my eyes are healthy and this is starting to negatively impact my mobility and activity.

• Like 2

If I still have to wear glasses to read, then it's a waste bc I read all. The. Time. I'd never take them off bc I'd always be putting them back on.

So that's certainly something I'll need to make clear about my needs.

It's only because I was nearsighted *and* farsighted. You might only be one or the other. I began wearing glasses when I was 9 (the doctor said I probably needed them when I was 7); by the time I had LASIK, I was 20-500 in one eye and 20-750 in the other...but I had also developed farsightedness, because I'm old. :-)

If you are only one or the other, then you would be fine (LASIK can only fix one, not both, in the same eye).

My husband had it 9-10 years ago. His vision was really bad. He is currently 45 and showing no signs of needing reading glasses, although the doctor told him he eventually would.

He would do it again in a heartbeat. He still remembers the shock of waking up that first morning and being able to see without grabbing glasses or contacts.

For maybe three months afterwards, I would wake during the night and notice that I could read the alarm clock. I would then reach to take off my glasses, which I MUST have fallen asleep wearing because how else could I read the alarm clock? I think I poked myself in the nose/forehead/eye way too many times during those first few months in my sleep-addled state.

• Like 4

I wore coke-bottle glasses. I had Lasik about 18 years ago, 2 years before DD was born.  After about 10 years I needed glasses for slight correction, but they are so light and nothing at all like what I used to wear.  I've thought about getting it done again, but I have the reading thing now and that would still be there.

I would absolutely still do it again.  10 years of no glasses at all was like heaven.  And even now, I can wear cute, light glasses, and actually still see *mostly* even without them.

Go for a consult before you get your hopes up. I have had two friends who were not good candidates due to the shape of their corneas. I had it done at age 34 and wish I'd done it sooner. My vision is still 20/15 nearly 6 years later. The doctor said I would eventually need reading glasses due to age because it's not magic. ;) The surgery itself was freaky. The Valium made me hyper anxious and I wanted to crawl out of my skin. But overall so, so worth it!

I agree, go for a consult, they are usually free, my dh had it done, I could not do it because the shape of my eye.  He was able to use Carecredit and got 0% interested for 3 years and we just paid it off over the 3 years.  I think it was about $3600.

My vision is getting significantly worse as I age. No big surprise there.

Years ago I wouldn't have considered LASIK, but I think it has progressed significantly from what was available years ago and now I'm willing to consider it.

How long does the surgerical improvement last?

How long was recovery to normal?

Was the cost insane? (No insurance for me unfortunately, tho I never had any that would cover it anyways.)

Would you do it again?

I doubt I can afford it this year. But *fingered perpetually crossed* maybe next year.

I think I'm going to call around for reputable doctors and see what all is available, but I was curious as to btdt perspectives too.

I had LASIK in 2004. I cannot recall what my vision was at the time, but after surgery I was 20/15 in both eyes until a few years ago. And now I'm 20/20. My husband had it in 2009, but his vision was worse than mine and he was older (probably around 40) - his wasn't as successful. He was 20/25 and even though that was much better, he was used to how crisp his vision was with glasses. He has been back in glasses for a couple of years now.

My recovery took no time. I took a nap when I got home (pretty sure they gave me a pill to take), and when I woke up I really could see. I watched a movie that night without glasses. My husband's recovery was a little longer, but not several days or anything. 

I would do it again in a heartbeat. It has been amazing for me! To wake up and be able to see the clock across the room... To swim with my kids without glasses... To buy $3 sunglasses at Dollar General (lol). Yep. I would not hesitate to do it again. I don't know if my husband would do the same. He was only out of glasses for about two years. I don't know if it was because of his eyes, or the surgeon, or ?

I had severe Myopia and Astigmatism.   My LASIK surgeries were done during November 1997 (almost 18 years ago). Yes, it has lasted. We live in Colombia, where much of the development work and testing  was done at that time, when they were working on getting F.D.A. approval. I was lucky, in that the Ophthalmologist  who did my surgeries was, at that time, #2 in the world for the LASIK procedure.  For me, it was a miracle.  My surgeries were done in an Eye hospital in Cali, Colombia, with very strict antiseptic controls.  So, in 1999 when I was driving a car in Miami one morning, I was more than dismayed, when I heard a commercial on the radio by an M.D., inviting people to come to his office, have a free Breakfast and watch a LASIK procedure. I was also astonished, many years ago, to see in TIME or Newsweek magazine, an article, with a photo of someone in a mall in the USA having LASIK surgery, in their street clothes. If you are going to have surgery of any kind, avoid charlatans... The recoveries, in my case, were very rapid. I remember wearing a guard, to protect my eye, for a day or two after the surgery. It had holes, so I could see through the holes. Probably after getting home after the surgeries I got into bed and rested and tried to sleep.  The surgery, in each eye, was approximately 10 minutes.   I had a temporary prescription for reading glasses and then after several months, a permanent prescription, after my eyesight settled down. Those are the eyeglasses I use when reading a book...

CAVEAT: All surgeries have risk.  Although the woman who did my surgeries is a perfectionist and a pioneering scientist, when I went back for follow up appointments, 2 or 3 days after my surgeries (I had them during the same week, one and then a few days later the other one) when we were in the waiting area there were 1 or 2 patients who were having issues that I recall were serious.

As she told us, before the surgeries were scheduled: "I am doing Cosmetic surgery. It is extremely critical that my patients understand the risks".

NOTE: After one has had LASIK surgeries, the results of the normal tests an Ophthalmologist does, to check eye pressure, are inaccurate, They are deceptively low. It is critical the Ophthalmologist knows that the patient has had LASIK surgeries, when performing that test. There is another way they correlate, to get the actual eye pressure, after LASIK surgeries. 

In my case, our Ophthalmologist suggested that I have LASIK surgeries, although that is not a procedure that she does. She is a specialist in Glaucoma.

There are minimum and maximum ages for LASIK surgery. If one is too young, their eyes have not fully matured, if one is too old for it... 

My surgeon told me that there were 2 ways she could do it on me: (1) Remove all Astigmatism and I would need to wear eyeglasses for reading. I enjoy reading and I chose that method or (2) Leave some Astigmatism in one eye and be able to read without wearing eyeglasses. Actually, frequently, I read, without wearing eyeglasses.  And, I can frequently read things that previously would have required using a magnifying glass. I just finished reading a book and I tried to remember to get my reading glasses and put them on, when I sat down to read the book. I do not wear eyeglasses when using my laptop, etc.

There are several examinations one needs to take, to see if one is a good patient for the LASIK procedure. 

Based on my experience and the results I have been blessed with, yes, I would do it over again.

My vision isn't so bad that I can't see the E.

But when driving I can't clearly read the street signs until I'm about 20 feet from them. I've lived here my entire life and based on the general shape of the fuzzy lines, I can make an educated guess from quite a distance further. But still annoying. And not good. So I tend to avoid driving.

I cannot drive after dark. The star burst affect is blinding. It was so bad last winter that I really didn't feel safe driving more than a few miles from the house. Last year was the first time it was that awful. The first time it got dark on the way home from something and all the sudden I was white-knuckling it the 11 miles home. After that, Dh or one of the older kids had to drive me everywhere once it got dark. And if they couldn't, I stayed home. They don't mind doing it, but it's frustrating to have to base what I can do around how much daylight I have left, especially when it starts to get dark at 6 pm.

This sounds like me the last ten years.  As my astigmatism has gotten worse my ability to read signs has gotten worse and the rings around lights at night are horrible.  I've been having lots of problem with fine work (constantly taking my glasses on and off trying to find the best way to focus).  Anyways my eye doctor said I was borderline where they recommend bifocals.  I was hesitant because I know once I crossed that bridge there was no going back.  However they did say the sooner people went to bifocals the easier the transition because the change wasn't as dramatic.  Since I've had headaches for days after every prescription change in the last 15 years, I figured I probably should do it now rather than wait.  I never thought I would say this but I LOVE my bifocals(I have progressive lenses).  I can read almost every street sign.  All the horrible rings at night are gone, I can safely drive after dark.  I don't have to take my classes on an off 20 times a day trying to see close stuff (and I have a very high prescription so normally if I'm awake my glasses are always on my face).   Considering I was so borderline if I even needed them, I'm surprised what a dramatic difference they have made.  Of course they are not nearly as nice as not having to wear glasses at all, but since my doctor said I would mostly likely still need reading glasses even with LASIK, I decided it's just easier to wear glasses all the time rather than trying to remember to have them with me at certain times.  Anyways, I just wanted to mention this in case it might be another option to help improve your vision.  No one had ever told me bifocals could help with night vision.

For maybe three months afterwards, I would wake during the night and notice that I could read the alarm clock. I would then reach to take off my glasses, which I MUST have fallen asleep wearing because how else could I read the alarm clock? I think I poked myself in the nose/forehead/eye way too many times during those first few months in my sleep-addled state.

I would try to take my contacts out when I washed my face and brushed my teeth at night! :)

• Like 1

I believe the minimum age someone should consider having LASIK surgeries is probably between 25 and 30. The maximum age is probably between 55 and 60. Assuming of course, that the examinations that are necessary, before scheduling surgery, are satisfactory to the surgeon.

Everyone who lives to be approximately 45 years old will eventually need eyeglasses to read. I believe that's called Presbyopia. Those who are not Blind or Dead will eventually need Reading glasses. I remember putting off getting Bifocals as long as I could...

presbyopia
ˌprɛzbɪˈəʊpɪə/
noun

1. long-sightedness caused by loss of elasticity of the lens of the eye, occurring typically in middle and old age.

Check out mono vision contacts. Takes a bit to adjust but they are seriously the best things going for me!

I never want to wear contacts again. I love my glasses compared to that. Cronic severe dry eyes combined with purposely sticking something in my eye was an awful idea. :)

I had it done in 1998 by a top doctor here in CA (his was one of the 1st offices on the west coast). I think I paid about $5000 back then. Recovery was quick, rest day of, then no water in eyes and drops to use for a week I think. Before surgery I was like 20/500. (I couldn't wear regular contacts, I had to use hard contacts. It was that bad.) After surgery, I sat up and read the clock on the wall.

I just last year had to get glasses for watching tv or driving, but up close is still fine (reading).

Totally worth it. My eye dr was surprised I had not needed glasses  before this, he said most need glasses after 8-10 years.

When I went for the exam, there was 1st like an info session and I recall they said not everyone would be a candidate for the surgery. (especially, they said, those whose eye sight was ok till they hit middle age, something about it was their eye muscles getting weaker and they couldn't fix that. The surgery just corrects the shape of the eye.)

But most places have a free consult, so totally worth checking into. I would just walk away if they tell you everyone can do it and start with a hard sell to get you to sign up/finance. My pre-op exam consisted of several different tests using different machines to image the eye, etc. Until those results are in, they shouldn't sign you up for anything.

I never want to wear contacts again. I love my glasses compared to that. Cronic severe dry eyes combined with purposely sticking something in my eye was an awful idea. :)

I can't and couldn't wear contacts due to dry eyes either. 

Had it in September of 2013. 

LOVE. IT.

Recovery was amazing.  It was quick and painless, once that first few hours of healing had been done (which they recommend sleeping through).  I could do everything normal the very next day.

It was seriously awesome.

I was better than 20/20 at post ops.  

I don't have any problems with my eyes or anything like that.

Cost wise, it wasn't that bad.  The place I got mine done has a payment plan with no interest - I did that, as I don't have insurance, either.  It'll be paid off next month.  The monthly amount was doable.

Overall I totally loved it.  I'm so glad I did it!!!

I live in the countryside and the public transport is not great. We are very far north, so darkness is around 4pm to 9am in winter. If I ended up unable to drive safely at night it would be much more of a disability than wearing glasses. I'm not going there.

I completely agree that would be awfully limiting bc it IS awfully limiting for me already.

However, if the surgery could significantly improve that problem for me, it *might* be worth it.

Possible <20% risk of being stuck with what I already am dealing with

vs

Correcting the same problem I already have

• Like 1

I read many of the posts in this thread and some have mentioned night vision problems. I do not remember whether it is the Rods or the Cones, it was many years ago, when I was learning how to fly, but either the Rods or the Cones do not work at night.  Everyone has impacted vision at night.  I remember going into Dallas Love Field, at night, the first time, and how different it was.  It was easier ti see the other aircraft (mostly civil turbojets)  because of their flashing lights, but there were other issues that made it very different than flying during daylight hours.

I recommend laser correction to everyone who can do it.

They did something to prevent the night vision problem for me.  I have no problems driving at night, but I have friends who didn't have Lasik who do have this problem.  So ask if that is something they can mitigate.

Recovery time - pain less than a day, dryness varies (it was at least a year for me, but dry eyes run in my family and I had issues with it before laser surgery).

I know people love this surgery, but i also know several people who had it and years later had issues.  All had detached retinas that caused blindness.  There are risks and losing your eyesight later on....after watching multiple people experience this(not all recovered) there is no way I would do this surgery. 

• Like 1

I know people love this surgery, but i also know several people who had it and years later had issues.  All had detached retinas that caused blindness.  There are risks and losing your eyesight later on....after watching multiple people experience this(not all recovered) there is no way I would do this surgery. 

I had not heard this.  Are they sure it was caused by the surgery?

My mom is having serious vision problems and may go blind like her grandmother did.  I also have a diabetic friend who is experiencing issues with detaching retina.  Neither of them had laser surgery.  If anything bad happens to my eyes, I have no way to know whether it is because of the laser or genes.

For me it has improved my quality of life a lot (because wearing contacts or glasses was very uncomfortable for me).  If I find out there is a trade-off in my declining years, I am not sure I would regret it.

That said, I did have it done by one of the more expensive places.  I was a little nervous to have people zapping my eyes.

• Like 1

I had the surgery 14 years ago. The doc did mention that I would probably need reading glasses in the future and if I actually would make an eye apt I would have said glasses. My one eye is still 20/20 but the other is a tad blurry. Recovery was immediate improvement, I couldn't see anything without glasses and as soon as the surgery was over my vision was perfect. I did have to use eyedrops post surgery for a week or so (it's been so long ago now). Follow-up apt the next day and then a week or so after. My cost was high ($4500) but it was a long time ago and at a teaching/research clinic. With contacts I used to have a hard time driving at night but after the surgery that went away. The star burst issue was mostly with the RK surgery not Lasik but that's always a possibility.

I would be the voice of caution. I thought my mom had this last year but it turns out she had cataract removed. It improved her vision for about 6 months and she was actually able to see without her glasses! Something I honestly don't remember her not needing. 

HOWEVER about 6 months after the surgery she started having issues and turns out she had a torn retna. 4 surgeries later and oil being put into her eye for 8 months she is STILL having issues. I was very concerned (obviously) so when I went to my eye doctor for a checkup (completely different state, doesn't know her doctor) and told him what she was experiencing. He said that this a RARE complication but it is more common in younger people. She was 57 when she had it done. He said her age is against her. 

My mom had the oil removed from her eye 2 weeks ago so she is still healing, but they are now talking about another surgery and possible lens replacement in her eye. This all for a woman who can't stand the sight of needles and often faints at the sight of blood (yeah not a good trait when you have a child!). 

Only you can determine if it is worth the risk. My mom wore contacts but she was getting tired of wearing them for 30+ years. So she wanted to be able to see clearly. I think at this point she would say hers may not have been worth the risk in hindsight. Then again cataracts make you blind so who knows what she should have done. :(

I am another word of caution.  My DH had LASIK performed about 5 years ago and the flap creased on him after his follow up exam.  His doctor wouldn't listen to him when he told him something was wrong (definitely research and then research again your doctor choice).  He finally went to an optometrist for a second opinion and was immediately referred out to the top cornea specialist in our state. There he underwent a surgery that included stretching the flap back out straight and sewing it directly back to the eye in hopes it would fully fix the crease.  It didn't.  The doctor did what he could and perform PKR to fix the vision as good as he could get it.  My DH is sitting next to me in glasses, with double vision on anything with high contrast in that eye.  It will never get better.  Complications do happen and these are the only eyes that you can get.

I will be waiting for my cataracts surgery as I'm sure it is in my future with a family history of early onset cataracts.  My eyeglasses are -9.5.  I cannot see past the end of my nose and haven't been able to since I was in high school.  I have to wear the highly gas permeable contacts that most people can sleep in for no more than 10-12 hours or my eyes begin to suffocate, and if I lose one out I'm screwed.  Even with all of that, if I put on my glasses or pop in my contacts, I can see more clearly then my husband with his "corrected" vision.  That can't be promised with LASIK.

• Like 2