Menu

Anne of Green Gables study for 7th grader

I think I am going to design my own study of Anne.  I don't want it too structured, with tons of vocabulary and end of chapter questions.  I'd like to go on rabbit trails and explore the history, the author, the food, the poetry etc.

I want this to be enjoyable, as it's the first thing we'll do when dd comes home (for the first time) this year.

I will get the annotated book.  Is there anything else I shouldn't miss, whether it's a resource or a topic?

Thanks!

We did this last year and really enjoyed it. The Annotated Anne is a must have! Poetry was a big part of our study. You could do a lot with poetry, tea and recipes from this time period. We also studied the area, particularly PEI.

• Like 2

We used Where the Brook and River Meet, but I'm pretty sure I paid less than half the new price for a former library edition. I was very glad to have it! It was super easy to customize and just use the parts we wanted. The Anne Anthology was helpful. It's a collection of all the poetry and whatnot that's referenced in the annotated edition. We also had a book that had recipes, handicrafts, and such. I think it was called The AGG Treasury.

• Like 6

Thank you!  Maybe we should visit PEI?!  It's always been on my bucket list, because of the books.

If you could go to PEI, that would be so nice! It's on our bucket list too. We only studied the area through geography.

I can pm you a list of the poems we studied, if you'd like. I created lessons for this study, but I haven't had a chance to polish it up for publishing yet. Let me know if you'd like anything from it and I can pm it to you. :)

If you haven't seen the movie with Meagan Follows, then it might be a nice way to wrap up the study too.

Also, my older daughter really enjoyed the Emily of New Moon series by L. M. Montgomery too.

• Like 1

Huge Anne fan here! :hurray: I just wanted to recommend a series that my daughter and I have fallen in love with. It's the Road to Avonlea series. It's based on the story girl books by Montgomery and has many of the same characters from the Anne books. I keep my eye on the seasons on ebay and pick one up when I find it for a good price. Each season is usually about $40 but I've bought 5 seasons for under $30 each.

• Like 3

Here is a link to a list of some of the books we read when we did our AGG study. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/357965-anne-of-green-gables-study-guide/?do=findComment&comment=3721394

One other resource I would not skip is the book of letters exchanged betweeen LM Montgomery and Ephraim Weber. Gives great author insight. I used file:///C:/Users/HS%20Boss/Downloads/20150636-a5.pdf , but this one looks far more intriguing: http://www.amazon.com/After-Green-Gables-Montgomerys-1916-1941/dp/0802084591

• Like 4

Here is a link to a list of some of the books we read when we did our AGG study. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/357965-anne-of-green-gables-study-guide/?do=findComment&comment=3721394

One other resource I would not skip is the book of letters exchanged betweeen LM Montgomery and Ephraim Weber. Gives great author insight. I used file:///C:/Users/HS%20Boss/Downloads/20150636-a5.pdf , but this one looks far more intriguing: http://www.amazon.com/After-Green-Gables-Montgomerys-1916-1941/dp/0802084591

Thank you, 8!  Your list is wonderful, especially the history supplements.  

Off to check the book of letters.

• 10 months later...

About Anne: I fell in love with these just recently. If it were me I'd want someone to ask me to look at memorable faux pas like in her younger years or character traits and ask me to re-write the scene from my own life not just as a journal entry but with an effort to style. . What's a situation where I was Anne, made a mistake, and it all turned out for the good in the end?

Or wouldn't it be cute to think of your acquaintances or neighborhood and identify if there are any elderly people like the lighthouse keeper and sisters you can reach out to like Anne did when older. reach out to them like she did and befriend someone who may not initially seem like the popular choice to spend time talking with / writing to but may become a mentor or have life lessons to impart.

About PEI: I went as a teen years ago as a nanny for a family that rented a beautiful old house, I'd recommend this, it was really rural and we got a real sense of the place that way, very "authentic" and memorable. Personally I did not like the day we burned going into the "city" half as much as spending all day exploring the coastline.

• Like 1