Menu

If you CAN do college early...should you? Musings...

I was aware of the document when DS was enrolled in AP courses prior to 9th grade, and was not sure how to interpret it. But it turned out that "AP" was listed on the transcripts.

I was wondering whether it was only homeschoolers who care about this rule, and it's mostly ignored by regular b&m schools.  I mean, is the CB going to send out the Transcript Police to arrest us if we don't use AP on a transcript in the precisely correct way?  

Having said that, as homeschoolers it behooves us follow the letter of the law, dot our i's, cross our t's, etc.  

Was this recently? With an online provider or a B&M school? How old was your DS at the time?

My kids are a long way off, but, like the others, I was hoping to knock off a few APs early.

He was with an online provider two years ago as a homeschooler and at a B&M school last year. I was not too concerned whether it was listed as AP or not at the time. He was younger than 9th grade.

Maybe as they said in the doc, it's "guiding enrollment policy", and they recognize the "autonomy of secondary schools and districts in setting AP course participation policies". After all, schools set the standard for high school students, and they don't lower the standard just for a few younger students. Just my thoughts.

• Like 2

Good points. There are some 14-16 year olds who commute to campus who are full time students. I really do think I want her 17-18 before she really goes to college.

I could see her participating enthusiastically as a dual enrollment student in their music program at 14, though. It's not a competitive program and has quite a bit of community participation. It seems like we're always looking for a music teacher for one reason or another, anyhow.

My earlier reply was rather abrupt because I was on my phone...sorry about that. There is more I want to say but won't repeat it here as I have already said quite a bit about this on the other thread that Crimson Wife linked. My experience is only with community college but do be aware about dual enrolling in the music program...I really wouldn't encourage this unless it is a quality program with serious students. We are using community college for kiddo's "music lessons" but he isn't as serious about music and this works out okay. If he was serious about music, I wouldn't use the community college at all. So far, it doesn't sound like you are talking about a community college...so I am just adding this for your info.

AP exams can definitely be taken before 9th grade. Now you cannot list the course as AP on a transcript but you can list the course as 'Advanced BlahBlaBlah with AP exam'.This is commonly done for homeschooled high school students who don't take an official AP-designated course for whatever reason.

My son took an AP class at our local high school when he was in 8th grade.  I listed the class as AP on his transcript because that was the official name of the class. No college questioned it when he applied to college last year.

The College Board report also included the exam when he was designated as an AP Scholar with Distinction after 10th grade.  The CB report also had him listed as taking the exam as an 8th grader. 

• Like 2

Musing with you...

At this point, I think that we will probably do early college in some fashion, but I'm not sure what it will look like.  Currently, I have no interest in early high school graduation, and he hasn't found his passion yet.  So any college we do will probably be along the lines of online, community college, or some kind of dual enrollment - and not necessarily degree-seeking.

Of course, he is about to be in 5th, so there is plenty of time for thoughts and opinions to change.  But that's where we are now.  If he finds his passion, then I'm sure we will pursue that wholeheartedly.