Menu

Couch-to-5k: July 26 - August 1

Eagle

Couch25k workouts  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Workouts complete

It's a new week! Let's hear about the progress everyone is making. For those on track with the original program, it's week 8 already. How exciting that you can do a long run now! I'll bet that didn't seem possible at the beginning.

If you haven't started yet, it is not too late. We are doing the Couch to 5K beginner running plan. Several of us have either repeated weeks or started over, so we are at different points. Take the plunge and join us!

Reminder: To do the poll, fill in the first workout when you do 1 run. When you do your subsequent runs you need to delete your vote and then you can vote for multiple options (for example, you can select BOTH Workout 1 and Workout 2).

• Like 3

I tried to restart today (after a rest, after an ankle injury) but it didn't go so well. The ankle started hurting again almost immediately, not badly, but enough to worry me. So by the time I finished my first interval, I decided I'd better just walk the rest of the way. :(

Not sure what to do.

• Like 2

I tried to restart today (after a rest, after an ankle injury) but it didn't go so well. The ankle started hurting again almost immediately, not badly, but enough to worry me. So by the time I finished my first interval, I decided I'd better just walk the rest of the way. :(

Not sure what to do.

I'd make an appointment with your doctor and see if you have a local resource for someone who can evaluate your running form. In that order. The first to see if maybe there's something physical like a fracture. The second, after you've ruled out a physical cause, to see if it's an issue of mechanics. What about a sports medicine doc? I think you've done your due diligence. Time to bring in an expert. Sorry, though. That's frustrating!
  • Like 2

Not sure what to do.

My ankle took three weeks to recover, and it was really fragile for awhile after that. It is definitely frustrating recovering from an injury. It sounds like you either need more recovery time or to see a physiotherapist.

• Like 1

Greta- I hope you can get your ankle feeling better! That sounds really frustrating.

I went ahead to W5D1 and it went ok. Had to take a minute walk break in the last five minute run, but I did end up with all the running in, so I think that's a plus. It's really hot and humid here. I wish I could get started earlier in the morning. But I have definitely been getting more exercise than I had been before we started this, and that feels good. I feel very proud on the days I do this. :hurray:

• Like 4

I decided to repeat W4D3 since my distance and pace got worse as last week went on. Meh, wasn't any better today. Somehow missed my first run interval or the app never gave it to me. Hopefully the humidity goes down a bit by the time Friday rolls around.

• Like 4

Greta, sorry to hear about your ankle. How is it feeling?

Well, it feels just fine when I'm NOT running. :) I'm going to just walk the workouts this week and see how that goes. I'm very hesitant to seek medical attention, because we've used up the money in our HSA, but haven't met our deductible yet, so everything is out of pocket. :( So for now, I'm going to walk, do foot circle exercises, use compression bandages, and see how that goes. If that doesn't help, then I think I will have no choice but to shell out the $$$ for medical help.

Thank you, Stacia, and everyone, for the concern and support! You guys are the best!

• Like 4

Week 8 days 1 and 2 done. We are on vacation so using the hotel treadmill. I still find I want to quit after 15 minutes but keep going. I think it's more boredom than anything else. I just don't enjoy running! I did watch the news, meh. Music videos- depends on the song. And hgtv- really wanted to see the end but heading for Gettysburg today and had to move along. By 20 or 25 minutes, I seem to find my groove.

Greta, hope the ankle heals well for you.

• Like 5

I did W5D2 today and it went great. I think the lower humidity really helped. I thought I was going super slow on the 8 minute runs but I checked my distance with google pedometer when I got back and I made it the 3/4 mile. I was shocked! The times really seem to ramp up quickly from here on out it seems. I am going to have to find some better music. I am really liking running again. 

• Like 5

Did W4D2 tonight w/ dh & ds.

I know we did our longest distance running this time & we timed the entire thing exactly right to be walking into our driveway at the ending time, but the app didn't record our stats! I'm having a little bit of a :glare: moment over that. It does show that W4D2 is done, it just didn't record or log any details about distances walked/run & pacing.

• Like 4

I did Week 4 day 2 yesterday while on vacation. We just got back this afternoon. I thought I would have to put my running on hold while away, but I managed to complete all three runs. I am so proud that I pushed myself to get out there! My family was very supportive and encouraging, making sure I kept to the running schedule. I found a beautiful trail system and really enjoyed my time running and watching nature.

• Like 3

I'm on week 8. I did day 1 Monday, and skipped day 2 because the week was crazy. But today is day 3 and I just got back from my 1st 5K! It took me 38 minutes and I came in 39th out of 50. Ds(8) came in 37th. I only took a short 20 second break at the half-way water table, but otherwise jogged the whole way. And I even made a new friend who has also been doing couch to 5k this summer. :)

• Like 4

I'm on week 8. I did day 1 Monday, and skipped day 2 because the week was crazy. But today is day 3 and I just got back from my 1st 5K! It took me 38 minutes and I came in 39th out of 50. Ds(8) came in 37th. I only took a short 20 second break at the half-way water table, but otherwise jogged the whole way. And I even made a new friend who has also been doing couch to 5k this summer. :)

Awesome! :thumbup:

• Like 3

Did W4D3 w/ dh & ds. Had a lot of trouble. Still haven't figured out why my app is not tracking the distance/pace (though it is giving the prompts as to when to walk or run). Plus, I kept messing up & accidentally touching the screen, so we ended up off track re: running vs. walking.

A very blah & hot run today. But it is done.

• Like 4

Congratulations!!!! :hurray: That is very exciting! I'm so proud of you. :)

• Like 2

I completed Week 4 tonight. I really didn't want to go, but couldn't miss it because it would throw me off on our weeks here at WTM. You keep me accountable!

Unfortunately my ankle isn't feeling that great tonight. I did so well when I was away and running on trails. I wonder if my body just can't handle pavement? There are trails somewhat close by, but I would have to drive to them, and I wonder about their safety as they are in the forest.

• Like 3

Eagle, I'm so sorry to hear that your ankle is hurting again! Yeah, pavement is brutal. I walk on pavement for my warmup, but then I'm on dirt trails for my actual run. When we chose this house, my husband's #1 criterion was that it had to be within easy walking distance of this particular open space area. It didn't mean that much to me at the time, but now I'm glad that he was so insistent! Trails through a forest sound so nice! I'm not in forest, but desert. Are you worried about wild animals, or about being isolated, or . . . ? It can be a little nerve-wracking to do it alone. The open space area where I run is still surrounded by city on three sides! It's not isolated at all. That has advantages and disadvantages. I don't worry about wild animals, but human animals can be a problem. A woman was brutally attacked there a few months ago. I don't think they ever caught the guy. :-(

I walked my running route this week, and my ankle felt just fine doing that. I'm going to TRY running again tomorrow, though I'm not sure if it's too soon. I was thinking that instead of jumping back into Week 6 (which is when I got hurt) I would start over with Week 1, but work through the weeks faster this time. We'll see. I think I'll just have to play it by ear.

I see a lot of jackrabbits, roadrunners, and quail where I run. This week I got to see a coyote. :) I've seen them in the distance many times, but this one was only about 15 or 20 feet away, and was quite startled to see me!

• Like 2

That is fantastic!!! Congratulations!

• Like 3

Way to go! That is wonderful!

• Like 3