Menu

Your AL's experience with Miquon?

What age did they start and finish and what other programs did they do during that time? Did you do any math facts practice for memorization during that time or wait until they were of the usual age for it, even if they were already past that topic conceptually?

If your child was very young and didn't like to answer quiz type math questions or traditional worksheet problems, how did you gauge their understanding and retention, or did you not worry about that until they were older, say, first grade age?

Did anyone let their kid completely lead the way with Miquon, never asking them to do it or telling them what book to work in, or even to actually write the answers down, and find that they still managed a good conceptual understanding of all the topics covered?

I am only half way through the Orange book with my 5 year old, so no advice here, but I remember that Kathy in Richmond used Miquon with her AL kids. I searched for Miquon posts by her and found one in this thread as an example.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/540091-if-youve-used-miquon-with-your-56-or-7-year-old/?fromsearch=1

Sorry about the formatting - I'm on my phone and not savvy enough to know how to make the link pretty here. :)

• Like 1

My ALs did Miquon alongside SM. I never did math facts practice as they just internalized them naturally.

I let my kids pick what to do in Miquon, but I did have the rule that all the "C" pages had to be done in order as well as each other lettered section.

Certain sections didn't make sense to do until others were finished - for example it's hard to do the multiplication and division section if you haven't done division yet.

I'd put sticky notes on the first page of sections that were appropriate and then let the kids pick which pages to do - they could jump between sections or do lots in one section, it varied a lot. We always finished one book before moving on to the next.

By the way, I never finished all the Miquon books with any of my kids - usually did the first four books of the Miquon series and then just did SM (or now doing Beast as well).

My son is in the fourth Miquon book (Blue), as well as Singapore 3B, Life of Fred, and Beast 3A. He chooses his Miquon pages each day. Beginning with this book, I've required that he do each section in order, but he can choose any section. Prior to Blue, he picked at random in any order from any section, but that stopped working with this book.

DS did Miquon all the way through, and DD is currently in yellow.  We started Orange when they were ready - about age 4, and they started Life of Fred when they finished Orange, continuing Fred and Miquon through until the end of purple when DS carried on with Fred + Khan and some local curriculum stuff  (+ random stuff he finds).

I let them set the pace as in how many pages and how often they picked the books up (I would invite, but not insist), but neither one asked to work in other books so I can't help with that - DD does flick ahead and ask to do different sections which is fine, but I do insist she does the section pages in order (so X 1 - 9, not X 8 then X 2 then X 1).  I am happy to scribe or they wrote for themselves.  In the very early days (Orange in particular, and DS mostly) we skipped page where it was obviously a long way below him). 

I packed the other books up so now he's just doing Orange. He still jumps around a lot. Like now that he figured out to just say zero for any less than problem and 100 for any greater than problem I think he's losing interest in that and he'll want to go on to something else. He's only three years old....