Menu

Great sale on TI-84 Plus CE graphing calculator

Lanny

I was hoping that Amazon.com would have a special price on the "TI-84 Plus CE Graphing Calculator" that I wanted/needed to buy for DD, on Prime Day, because it was shown as only available for sale to Prime Members, and I checked many times on Prime Day, but I never saw it with a lower price.

This afternoon, I got an email alert from CamelCamelCamel.com that it was $88.00 (plus FL sales taxes, since our Shipping Address is in FL) for Prime members.

I bought it and at this time, that's a great price on this item.   

This was a very pleasant surprise for me this afternoon!    

ETA: Topic Title was changed, from Amazon Prime, to specifically referencing this calculator, because the thread got into a conversation about the new TI-84 Plus CE that I bought from Amazon.   And as of this morning (24 July 2015) WalMart.com has a low price on that calculator.

• Like 10

I went through the $88 link on camel but it is showing up on Amazon as $119.  Poor me....

I believe that Amazon is out of this item now.  Probably they will have them again, in a week or two.  Do you have it in your Wish List on Amazon?

I had 2 alerts on CamelCamelCamel.com for this item. One for New from 3rd party sellers and one directly from Amazon. Previously, I received 1 or 2 alerts, about 3rd party sellers, but they had no previous feedbacks and I didn't click to buy.from someone that new. Or there was another issue that made me reluctant to buy from the Seller.

My plan was that early in August, I would order it for DD from someone on eBay that seemed to have a good  feedbackrecord. These came out last January and some reputable people on eBay have begun selling them for about USD$100.   

I just looked on Amazon and was surprised at how many Marketplace Sellers have them listed at $150 or a lot more.  I believe this morning Amazon had them listed for Prime customers for about 118 or 120.   In mid May, Amazon had them listed at 150, which I believe is the list price.

If you are a Prime Member and you have it in your Amazon Wish List, that may help you.  GL!

Thanks for the advice.  I actually bought one already that was $119 and Prime shipping, but it is scheduled to ship next week to take advantage of a $5 prime pantry credit.  So I was thinking of cancelling the order and reordering.  I am glad to know about camelcamelcamel though, so thank you! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice.  I actually bought one already that was $119 and Prime shipping, but it is scheduled to ship next week to take advantage of a $5 prime pantry credit.  So I was thinking of cancelling the order and reordering.  I am glad to know about camelcamelcamel though, so thank you! :thumbup:

You did well with that price and with that price directly from Amazon and with Prime shipping!   A LOT of Sellers on Amazon and on eBay have them listed for a lot more than 119...   Getting one from an extremely reputable seller, for less than 119, including fast shipping, is possible, but difficult at this time.

The bottom line is that I believe it is an excellent calculator, much better than previous versions of TI-84 Plus calculators.

I'd read about CamelCamelCamel.com in a thread here on WTM some time ago.  

P.S.

I bought this book (new from an Amazon Marketplace Seller)  for DD also:

http://www.amazon.com/Ti-84-Plus-Graphing-Calculator-Dummies/dp/1118592158/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1437731797&sr=1-2&keywords=ti-84+plus+graphing+calculator&pebp=1437731822496&perid=0AWXJWFACZBR01JCBG5N

Thanks for the tip!  For anyone still looking for this deal, Wal-Mart has the exact same calculator at this price ($88) with free shipping right now.  We just bought one for DS11!  No need for Amazon Prime!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Texas-Instruments-TI-84-Plus-CE-Graphing-Calculator/44662631

My guess is that Amazon was matching Wal-Mart's price, since $88 is their traditional Ti-84 back-to-school price.  The price is what told us to check Wal-Mart.

If you don't want the color version, Walmart also has the traditional Ti-84 Plus for the same price:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Texas-Instruments-TI-84-Plus-Calculator/3136045

Good luck getting it before the sale ends!

• Like 4

Thanks for the tip!  For anyone still looking for this deal, Wal-Mart has the exact same calculator at this price ($88) with free shipping right now.  We just bought one for DS11!  No need for Amazon Prime!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Texas-Instruments-TI-84-Plus-CE-Graphing-Calculator/44662631

My guess is that Amazon was matching Wal-Mart's price, since $88 is their traditional Ti-84 back-to-school price.  The price is what told us to check Wal-Mart.

If you don't want the color version, Walmart also has the traditional Ti-84 Plus for the same price:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Texas-Instruments-TI-84-Plus-Calculator/3136045

Good luck getting it before the sale ends!

Outstanding!   I had looked on WalMart.com a few days ago or last week, and the TI-84 Plus CE was MUCH higher than that, when I looked.

I can't imagine why anyone would want an older model of the TI-84 Plus series, unless it was about 50% of the price of the TI-84 Plus CE.

• Like 1

Also, back before Christmas I had items promised to come up on Prime discount at a certain time, watched the countdown, and had the item disappear from the discounted list when the time it was to be for sale came. I called Amazon and they sold me the item at the promised sale price every time.

• Like 1

I can't imagine why anyone would want an older model of the TI-84 Plus series, unless it was about 50% of the price of the TI-84 Plus CE.

We considered purchasing the other version for the following reasons:

- Better battery life:  We generally go six months to a year using rechargeable Eneloop NiMH batteries in our Ti-84 Plus calculators.  Even with a Li-ion battery, I expect the new backlit color version will have a shorter battery life, possibly much shorter.

- Guaranteed compatibility with our math curriculum:  We use Chalk Dust and it has worked perfectly with the older Ti-84 Plus calculators and we did not want to run into differences which would cause issues.

- Guaranteed acceptance in standardized tests:  As far as we know, the Ti-84 Plus is acceptable in all of the standardized tests which accept calculators.  While we expect the new color version will be also, since you can load pictures onto it, we aren't entirely positive.  Anyone know?

- Stylized buttons:  Yes, it's just the shape of the plastic, but the style of the "Silver Edition" buttons does look much nicer.  Unfortunately, that one in the color version is not at the same low price (but it's not terrible at $118.56 at Wal-Mart right now):

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Texas-Instruments-TI-84-Plus-C-Silver-Edition-Graphing-Calculator/24984252

In the end, we decided that DS11 could borrow a sibling's Ti-84 Plus if standardized testing became a problem and went with the color version.  I hope he likes it!

• Like 1

@Reg: The TI-84 Plus CE can be taken in for the PSAT, SAT and ACT exams and others.   It comes with a rechargeable battery, is much faster, much thinner, etc.

Yes, there *are* some operational differences, between the original TI-84 Plus, the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition and the new TI-84 Plus CE.   I told my DD she may need to do some things slightly differently, if she is shown information about the original TI-84 Plus in her course(s). 

This is a link to a TI web page about the Ti-84 Plus CE. They have another web page (I'm not sure of the URL) that shows the differences between the different models in the TI-84 Plus series.  https://education.ti.com/en/us/products/calculators/graphing-calculators/ti-84-plus-ce/tabs/accessories#tab=overview

One of these will get a student through Calculus and Statistics.   They have a one year warranty in the USA, but hopefully will last for many years, if used gently.

• Like 3

Follow on: At 1016 A.M., E.S.T. (24 July 2015) on Amazon they are showing this calculator to be available, New, from $88.00.  However, at this time, I do not see it for that price. in the listings for New calculators. Possibly this indicates that Amazon will have more of those calculators, for $88.00, in the near future. Possibly not...

"58 new from $88.00 3 used from $94.00"

For anyone still looking for this deal, Wal-Mart has the exact same calculator at this price ($88) with free shipping right now. We just bought one for DS11! No need for Amazon Prime!

My oldest wants one to play with. We were thinking of price matching at Target for the extra 5% for red card but can't find on Target online. We might just get from Walmart then.

My that kiddo did the practice tests for SAT's calculator portion without using any calculator just because he thinks it's more fun :lol: My younger on the other hand use the scientific calculator and still ran out of time, he was doing for fun.

ETA:

Hubby swung by Wal-Mart on way to work and bought one in store.

• Like 1

My oldest wants one to play with. We were thinking of price matching at Target for the extra 5% for red card but can't find on Target online. We might just get from Walmart then.

My that kiddo did the practice tests for SAT's calculator portion without using any calculator just because he thinks it's more fun :lol: My younger on the other hand use the scientific calculator and still ran out of time, he was doing for fun.

ETA:

Hubby swung by Wal-Mart on way to work and bought one in store.

It's in this week's Target ad for $89 at my location.

• Like 1

Lanny a question for you if I may.

We have the TI-84 Plus C, do you think there are enough improved features on the TI-84 Plus CE to make it worth purchasing?

Thanks.

If the one you have is working perfectly, probably it is not worth shelling out the cash. But if the latest model has capabilities that you need, then, yes. Or, if the one you have is problematic.

Our Internet was down (AC Adapter for the ADSL Modem died) and I need to go now. I will try to find the comparison chart, on the TI web site, later, to see if they show the differences between the models.  

The calculator we bought for DD was delivered to our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami today and I just sent them the dispatch data, to prepare it for shipment to our house in Colombia. It may be delivered on Thursday or on Saturday, depending on how things go in Miami and in Colombian Customs in Bogota.

Lanny a question for you if I may.

We have the TI-84 Plus C, do you think there are enough improved features on the TI-84 Plus CE to make it worth purchasing?

Thanks.

This is the URL for the TI comparison chart for the TI-84 series of Graphic Calculators:

https://education.ti.com/en/us/product-resources/graphing_course_comparision

Based on that chart, if the one you have is working perfectly, I'd  spend the money on something else.

I have to wonder if buying TI-84 Plus CE isn't buying the latest version of an old platform that's headed towards obsolescence? 

To me the TI-Nspire series looks like the wave of the future. After a lot of pondering, I recently got my kid an Nspire CX CAS. Way cool calculator!

For a student who isn't used to an 80-series (or other) calculator, I'm not so sure I'd lock them into a series that's being supplanted by a more modern device with a different interface than the 80-series.

Just a thought.

Bill

• Like 2

I have to wonder if buying TI-84 Plus CE isn't buying the latest version of an old platform that's headed towards obsolescence? 

To me the TI-Nspire series looks like the wave of the future. After a lot of pondering, I recently got my kid an Nspire CX CAS. Way cool calculator!

For a student who isn't used to an 80-series (or other) calculator, I'm not so sure I'd lock them into a series that's being supplanted by a more modern device with a different interface than the 80-series.

Just a thought.

Bill

I bought ds a TI-Nspire CX last year.  Great calculator. The display alone is worth it.  Your graphs actually look like graphs instead of higgledy-piggledy pixels. 

• Like 2

To me the TI-Nspire series looks like the wave of the future. After a lot of pondering, I recently got my kid an Nspire CX CAS.

It is not allowed on the ACT. So don't bring that one as a spare calculator. The non CAS is allowed.

I bought the calculator for my kids fo hack so I really don't care if it is not the latest and greatest :lol: They are still playing at programming it. Now to see if it doesn't kaput within a year.

• Like 1

Just a thought.

Bill

I don't know what the Nspire sells for. Depending on the price differential (I assume it sells for more than the TI-84 Plus CE) it might be a good way to go. Especially if someone can use the extra capability of the Nspire.

ETA: As mentioned above, the CAS model is not allowed for ACT or IB examinations.

I don't know what the Nspire sells for. Depending on the price differential (I assume it sells for more than the TI-84 Plus CE) it might be a good way to go. Especially if someone can use the extra capability of the Nspire.

ETA: As mentioned above, the CAS model is not allowed for ACT or IB examinations.

The Nspire models (there is CAS version that does algebra, and a non-CAS version) cost a little more (+$40-50).

My thinking is that man hours required to really learn an advanced calculator well is a much bigger investment than the purchase price of the device. At this juncture the Nspire line seems future oriented, and thus the better investment for both time and money by my reasoning.

I'm sure there are fans of the 80-series. Once one develops the hard won mastery of an advanced calculator line it is hard to give that up, more so even that moving from one computer OS to another. These things are somewhat clunky and burdensome to learn. For a student that has no investment in the 80-series (like my kid), I decided on a line that I think/hope will be a better investment of his time to learn.

The features on the Nspire, including the better screen, student software that can be used on the desktop, a touchpad, pull down menues, and ability to check algebra problems on the CAS model, make it feel way more modern system to me.

I deliberated a long time. The plus of the 80-series is many teachers/schools know the TI-89 calculator. Were my kid entering High School this year, I may have gone that route (if that is what the teachers used). But I think the 80-series era is coming to an end. The Nspire is a leap forward for TI.

I do know my kid will have 84 series calculators to use at time in class in Middle School. They are not "bad calculators." I'm just not sure they serve for the future as well as the Nspire.

Could be wrong. Just my thinking.

Bill

For anyone worried about learning curve, kids just fiddle with it and learn how to use it without a need for user manual or YouTube. Just pass any electronic gadget to a child and they probably master it faster than their parents :)

Took them less than 5 mins to know how to key in a quartic equation, plot and trace the roots. Faster than I can make and drink my cup of coffee.

The Wal-Mart sale ended yesterday at about noon, but these are now on sale at Target for $89.99 (h/t: Arcadia):

http://www.target.com/p/graphing-calculator-texas-instruments-battery-powered-black/-/A-17109657

You must go into the store to pick it up at Target, however.

Based on this thread, I ordered a TI 84 plus CE from Target this morning. When my order wouldn't go through online, I called and they were able to complete the order for me. It is supposed to be shipped to me with no shipping fee.

ETA When I placed my order this morning, it did not say that it was out of stock online. Oops. Not trying to mislead anyone.

• Like 2

Based on this thread, I ordered a TI 84 plus CE from Target this morning. When my order wouldn't go through online, I called and they were able to complete the order for me. It is supposed to be shipped to me with no shipping fee.

ETA When I placed my order this morning, it did not say that it was out of stock online. Oops. Not trying to mislead anyone.

Whom did you call?  I just got the supply list for my 9th graders...

• Like 1

I suggest that anyone interested in buying one of these at a low price ($88.00 for example) set up a Price Alert for it on http://camelcamelcamel.com/  You paste the URL of the Amazon web page for the item onto their web page and you enter your target price (mine was $95.20) and your email address. If you are lucky, as I was, they will send you an email alert, when their robot detects that Amazon has a lower price for the item than what your target price was.

I suspect that Amazon (and the other retailers mentioned in this thread) will have them again, soon, because this is "back to school" season and it is a new product that is apparently becoming more available to retailers.  There is demand, but I believe there is also much more supply.

In our case, a TI-84 is required for a course DD will begin soon and the TI-84 Plus CE seemed like a better way to go. There may be some differences in the sequences she needs to use, for example with Algebra equations. Press another key to get the correct/final result, etc.  I purchased the "Dummies" book for the TI-84 Plus (2nd edition) for DD because as someone upthread mentioned, there is a "learning curve" with a calculator this powerful and the book will help DD over the years with the calculator.

BTW, the robots of CamelCamelCamel.com do not check prices of an Amazon item constantly. I suspect they do that once or twice a day. They missed a textbook DD needed (for English) that I had been watching on Amazon for 6 months. It was stuck at $38.80. Used - Good.  It was getting closer to when DD will need it and for some reason, one day, early in June, I checked,, a number of times, on Amazon. About 6 P.M., E.S.T., I checked, and Better World Books had listed it, for one cent plus shipping (Used - Very Good).. I was astonished, crossed my fingers and prayed and we bought it... That was a financial gift from God for our family. So,  if there is something you really want or need, check frequently, because the robot might miss a wonderful price on an item.

FYI, I went to our local Target this morning to pick up something else and walked back to see if they had any TI-84 Plus CE calculators on the shelf.  What surprised me was that they had MANY in stock and unlike Wal-Mart and Amazon, they had several different colors on sale at the $89.99 price.  I saw blue, red, pink and black.  There were about eight of each color available.  So if you don't want the black one, head to Target (after checking stock online).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

@Mark T       I had been thinking about that, because on Amazon (I'm looking for an SSD for my Mobile Workstation and a couple of other things) they are showing that "Prime Day" is on July 12th.     I remember signing up for a FREE 30 day trial of Prime, last year, hoping that calculator would go on sale on Prime day. I checked, a bunch of times on Prime Day, but the price wasn't right.  A week or so later, they had a great price ($88) and I  bought it. They sent that and a couple of other Prime eligible things to our Receiver/Forwarder in Miami and then I cancelled my Free membership to Prime.  So, the bottom line is that if you can sign up for a Free 30 day Prime membership, do it about July 10th and if it doesn't pan out on Prime Day, maybe it will within your 30 days.  

NOTE: I also bought the "Dummies" book for this calculator, for DD, because I hope with time she will be able to use it fully. I remember after she got the calculator and began using it, she told me, "you were smart to buy the "Dummies" book for me".  It helped her and might help your student(s) too.

• Like 2

@Mark T   Follow On:  Go to CamelCamelCamel.com and set up Price Alerts, for New from Amazon and for New from Amazon Marketplace Sellers.   As I recall, I did that last year, but I picked up the low price, before they sent me an email. Probably they check once or twice a day for your item.    Also, set up alerts on eBay. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is  kind of a "zombie" thread and got reactivated...  I would suggest that anyone wanting/needing to buy one of these at a lower price go to CamelCamelCamel.com and set up "agents" for it, both "New" from Amazon, and "New" from Amazon Marketplace Sellers.  Put your threshold price and cross your fingers. This is the URL I just found on Amazon for it, that you can use on CamelCamelCamel.com

https://www.amazon.com/Texas-Instruments-TI-84-Graphing-Calculator/dp/B00TFYYWQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468864553&sr=8-1&keywords=ti+84+plus+ce+graphing+calculator

The other thing, from memory from last year, is that some people in this thread found it at low prices, in their local Target or Wal-Mart store.