Menu

At the neuro ICU tonight - updated in post #197

ScoutTN

With Dh at the hopital toniight. Not very restful but he is finally aleep. Praying that he can get at lest 4 hrs. Busy day tomorrow for me on essentially zero sleep.

eta:

7/26

Well, that sleep didn't happen but maybe tonight will be better. The doc lowered his steroid dose and upped the sleeping med strength.

He had lots of visitors today which kept him cheered up and thankful. Hoping to get him out tomorrow. He is longing for some uninterrupted sleep on our tempur-pedic. Our house is lonely tonight with Dh and Dd not here.

• Like 1

He is home!  :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: 

He went to bed and I am praying that he will sleep well. Almost anything is well compared to how he did in the hospital. Appt with the surgeon Wednesday. Surgery probably late next week. For now, he is on almost-bed rest. No exercise or physical exertion, no driving, no work. 

Making a library run for movies tomorrow and hoping friends will take him out for lunch. He's not a reader and that makes entertaining him harder.

For now, we are very, very thankful to have him home, with no pain, no seizures etc.  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Praying for rest and a successful surgery next week.

And for financial and work issues. This will take all his paid time off and into unpaid leave, with large bills at the end and no way to know if he will even be able to do his job when this is all over.

• Like 44

A couple in our church who have been on this same road brought us dinner tonight. The husband's condition is similar to my Dh's, but not exactly the same thing. He has had brain bleeds and surgery. He is okay, but has memory issues and a few other lasting effects from his condition, surgery and medications. He had a long recovery. It was good to hear practical advice and encouragement. The wife works for the same company that Dh does and broke both her legs in a car accident a year or two ago and so was able to give us some pointers on the HR system, short term disability etc. Good to know there is a substantial support system in place which is not hard to negotiate.

The conversation made me sad because I love homeschooling and a future where I have to work full time is very possible right now. I am not going to borrow trouble or worry about things that are not reality, but I am going to cherish this year even more than I have our first five. What happens later is later and I am going to enjoy this year with my kids at home and do my absolute best to make it great for them. 

Dh and I married late, after I had given up hope of it ever happening. We have 2 healthy children, when docs said we had less than 1% chance of even getting pregnant. So I have cherished my marriage and our children in a way that I might not have if they had come easily or quickly in my life. While I have always loved homeschooling, I will value it even more because I am being reminded of how easily we could lose the ability to educate this way.   :crying:

On a brighter note, many friends are reaching out to Dh and he is encouraged by the calls, texts and visits. I am encouraged by the meals.  ;)

• Like 14

I am glad things are going a bit better and I hope that you will find different ways of living that bring joy in ways that you never thought possible even though you already seem very grateful. There are many ways to home educate your children. You are in my thoughts. HTH

Surgery next Thursday. The surgeon is upbeat, encouraging and inspires confidence.

Got a Rx to help Dh sleep tonight, if he needs it. We adjusted the timing of his anxiety meds and that should help some too.

Tomorrow, we begin to deal with HR dept and get the electronic paperwork started for short term disability.

Very thankful for friends who are praying, bringing meals, calling, writing notes etc. It is great for Dh to feel so much community.

• Like 1

Dh had a bleed in his brain from a lifelong vascular condition. He had a seizure today and I thought I was going to lose him. He is okay right now and his pain is under control. More tests tomorrow. They wake him every hour to make sure he is okay, so no real rest.

He could use prayers!

Thurs 7:30 a.m. cdt

Thank you for all the prayers and kind thoughts!! I got a smile and a chuckle out of him when I told him the Hive was praying for him and sending hugs.

He was able to rest some last night and we are waiting on the neurosurgeon and the results of last night's MRI and MRA. Pray for no surgery, no more seizures and no impairment.

10:15 am

Doctors say he needs surgery. Not sure when. Surgeon will be back late today after Dh has all day to eat, drink, move around, do pt and ot etc.

8:32 p.m.

We met the neurosurgeon tonight and the surgery will be on a week or so. Staying in the hospital all weekend, but hopefully getting out of the ICU tomorrow or Saturday. Kids can visit in a regular room. Eeg was fine. Friends have been to visit and bring real food. :) Dh is much encouraged by the calls, texts and visits. Friends are helping with kids, yardwork and random other things. Nurses are excellent, both efficient and friendly. We are very thankful for the people God has put in our lives! Thanks for your prayers and cyber hugs!

I'm so sorry.  Praying. 

Dh has a headache this morning and that is very concerning. Calling the doc to see if we need to go in, change a medication or what. Please pray that we don't have to go to the ER and start all over again. Now that we know the surgery is necessary, we really don't want it delayed!

Dh has a headache this morning and that is very concerning. Calling the doc to see if we need to go in, change a medication or what. Please pray that we don't have to go to the ER and start all over again. Now that we know the surgery is necessary, we really don't want it delayed!

Praying. :grouphug:

Thanks, JennyD!

Just waiting now. Pre-op appt. is Monday. Dh is sleeping better and is busy answering his phone. ;) Trying to keep things as routine as possible at home. A lazy Saturday here because my kids just finished camp and are tired. Watching movies, reading, doing laundry, going to SIL's for burgers tonight.

• Like 20

Pre-op paperwork and bloodwork done. Very routine. Still not much real info on recovery, PT/OT etc. 

All systems go with the HR dept for short term disability. Not stressful at all, thankfully.

Dh got the dosage of his anti-anxiety meds adjusted today, so hopefully he will sleep better tonight and Tue and Wed. Some friends are coming to check in on him tomorrow.  

Friends and family have volunteered to watch our kids for every day that we will be out of pocket over the next two weeks.      :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Kiddos are looking forward to time with friends and cousins. I am thankful! 

The LORD our God is taking good care of us. 

• Like 26