Menu

Give me the truth about working in medical coding and billing. lol

6packofun

It was suggested to me that this might be a good option for getting into the working world "quickly"--at least more quickly than finishing my degree.  I have to admit, I did not think it looked tolerable but I'm changing my mind.  Unless you tell me that my work day would be horrid.

The markets most places are saturated. Degree mills churn out people from these certificate programs without regard to their employment prospects. I would look at something like pharm tech or bookkeeping or phlebotomy instead. See what people are hiring people for in your area.

Yes to both of the above. And honestly, with automated websites, many smaller businesses and practitioners are saving a buck and doing the billing and coding themselves instead of hiring out. The insurance companies don't care who is doing the billing as long as it is processed correctly, and you don't need a certificate or degree to learn the procedures. I think this career might be going the way of the travel agent shortly.

• Like 1

Thank you all very much!  I had assumed that since a new version of the code system (whatever it's called) had come out and possibly with changes from the healthcare law that there would be a greater need.  I've seen some stats saying just that and have seen several job openings in my area.  However...they ALL want experience and how do I get that?  LOL

Have you thought about working in hospital reception or admin? A lot of those jobs require no college degree and they give you good benefits with decent pay until you decide if there's somethjng else you'd like to train for. I have a friend whose career background is diverse, everything from HR to restaurant management. She has degrees but not in anything health related and she worked at a hospital doing intake for a couple of years and now she's the office manager of a large clinic. She makes good money, more than medical billing and coding. Just a thought.

I thought about that, but the one thing that holds me back is my phone phobia.  LOL I know, it's lame, but a job that requires a LOT of answering phones and/or calling might not be good.  I DO really like several options in the health industry, so that's one I'll consider.  There isn't a big rush to get me out into the workforce yet, BUT I really want to start working towards something within the next year or 2.  (I have a fear of dh dying, honestly.  He is obese and his father--also very overweight--died of a heart attack at age 45.  Dh is 43. I need to prepare myself for the worst outcome even if it's years down the road, kwim?)

I thought about that, but the one thing that holds me back is my phone phobia. LOL I know, it's lame, but a job that requires a LOT of answering phones and/or calling might not be good. I DO really like several options in the health industry, so that's one I'll consider. There isn't a big rush to get me out into the workforce yet, BUT I really want to start working towards something within the next year or 2. (I have a fear of dh dying, honestly. He is obese and his father--also very overweight--died of a heart attack at age 45. Dh is 43. I need to prepare myself for the worst outcome even if it's years down the road, kwim?)

File clerk/medical records? It's an entry point to some health information type jobs.

Maybe u/s tech? I bet pay is better than phlebotomy.

U/s tech programs here require a number of prereqs (1-3 quarters worth) and then 2 years of study in the program. So yes, the pay is more but if she wants something that doesn't require more than a very short certificate, that's not it.

It was suggested to me that this might be a good option for getting into the working world "quickly"--at least more quickly than finishing my degree.  I have to admit, I did not think it looked tolerable but I'm changing my mind.  Unless you tell me that my work day would be horrid.

My mother in law does it. It no longer is a full time job (at one time it was)  She has a day job and does it for extra now. The technology is changing and the pay per time worked is decreasing.  When she got into it, she'd been doing it in a hospital environment and got the chance to work from home on a piecework basis.  She does not recommend we get into it though she continues to do it as long as she can get work.

I thought about that, but the one thing that holds me back is my phone phobia. LOL I know, it's lame, but a job that requires a LOT of answering phones and/or calling might not be good. I DO really like several options in the health industry, so that's one I'll consider. There isn't a big rush to get me out into the workforce yet, BUT I really want to start working towards something within the next year or 2. (I have a fear of dh dying, honestly. He is obese and his father--also very overweight--died of a heart attack at age 45. Dh is 43. I need to prepare myself for the worst outcome even if it's years down the road, kwim?)

I'm sorry about your FIL.

I am not trying to scare you worse but your DH is at risk. Heredity is a huge risk factor, and unfortunately for your DH, with his dad dying so young, his risk is even higher. Adding in other factors like obesity increases the risk.

If your DH hasn't done so, he should go to his doctor have a frank discussion, get a work up and a treadmill stress test.

Please take this is in the loving way I intend it.

:grouphug:

Coders have been prepping for the ICD-10 changes for over a year. The hospital I worked for did hire a ton of additional coders because the ICD-10 is significantly more detailed than coding with ICD-9. That said, coding isn't a breeze. You have to learn anatomy and physiology, disease progression and more. It's a lot of reading and discerning. Where I worked didn't care where you were trained because the first year on the job was going to be training, anyway. 

Another thing to know about coding: the promises vocational schools make about your salary are greatly over-inflated. Where I live, inexperienced coders start at $14 an hour. I have a friend who has been a coder for 20+  years and makes about $30 an hour. So, the pay isn't fantastic out of the gate. Also, if you research the average salary in your state, take into consideration if you have a huge metropolitan area, because those areas usually pay more and can skew the average. 

Whatever you decide to do, please please please research any vocational school you're considering. And, I'll give you a hint: most lie. Their sole goal is to make money so they'll tell you what you want to hear to get you to sign that enrollment agreement and possibly sign for a loan. Find who approves the school in your state and call that agency and ask if the school is in good standing. Ask if there have been complaints against the school and why. And lastly, if you have time, check your community college before a vocational school. A community college is a more stable entity than a vocational school and they are typically held more accountable because of the funding they receive. 

Good luck. :)

• Like 2

I can't say if your work day would be horrid.  That would depend on where you worked, your co-workers, boss...

Pay can depend on where you work, and your certification and experience.  From what I hear, some doctors' offices are hiring overseas billers to save money.  Small and not-so-small offices sometimes do the coding themselves.

If I were going to school for some kind of medical job training, I would probably pick ultrasound tech or something similar.  The pay for u/s tech is supposed to be good, and the jobs are typically in hospitals or clinics and have benefits (health insurance, vacation...).  I would choose community college or 4 year college over vocational school. 

If you're looking for work, put the word out:  church, friends, local homeschool group, any organizations you belong to... someone might know of a job that is perfect for you.

You might look at the job market around you.  Here unless you have a certificate/training and 5+ years of experience, good luck getting a job.  Even then, the jobs are not much. Most I know who did it have left and do not advise anyone to go into it now.  

My sister was promised the moon when she entered her program, but it was hard to find job and she had to really persevere through some unpleasant bosses until she found her niche.  I don't recommend it.

I'm sorry about your FIL.

I am not trying to scare you worse but your DH is at risk. Heredity is a huge risk factor, and unfortunately for your DH, with his dad dying so young, his risk is even higher. Adding in other factors like obesity increases the risk.

If your DH hasn't done so, he should go to his doctor have a frank discussion, get a work up and a treadmill stress test.

Please take this is in the loving way I intend it.

Thank you, I know.  Dh IS under a doctor's supervision, on BP medication (only so far, no diabetes, etc.) and has had a stress test.  I feel pretty confident that he's at least being seen by a doctor more than his father was!  He has a good nurse practitioner on-site at work, too, which is a relief.  Thank you for caring and for the good advice.  I've tried many times to encourage dh to lose weight and make mostly healthy foods, but he is pretty stuck where he is. Very much a couch potato. (Also like his dad, according to him...I never met him because he died right before dh and I started dating in college.) :(

Thank you, I know. Dh IS under a doctor's supervision, on BP medication (only so far, no diabetes, etc.) and has had a stress test. I feel pretty confident that he's at least being seen by a doctor more than his father was! He has a good nurse practitioner on-site at work, too, which is a relief. Thank you for caring and for the good advice. I've tried many times to encourage dh to lose weight and make mostly healthy foods, but he is pretty stuck where he is. Very much a couch potato. (Also like his dad, according to him...I never met him because he died right before dh and I started dating in college.) :(

Im sorry you and your kids never knew your FIL. :-(

I'm glad your DH is seeing a doc. Reducing the high blood pressure is a good thing!

• Like 1