Menu

Resources, particularly documentaries, on the Titanic?

Hi everyone--My son (just turned 8) has become somewhat obsessed with learning about the Titanic. I have Amazon Prime and Netflix and have tried to poke around to find suitable documentaries (not conspiracy theories), but I'm not coming up with much. This morning he did watch a documentary on Prime that was centered on Belfast as the place where the ship was built; it was okay.  

Does anyone know of any good documentaries on Titanic, particularly that would be free/easily accessible online, and suitable for an 8 year old?

Also, any other interesting resources on it? His particular interest is actually how the ship was built and what it looked like inside, as well as the process of sinking, alas!

Thank you!

This is kind of a weird suggestion, but check out this thread:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/325945-please-post-wws-assignments-here/

It's from the Writing Forum.  One of the WWS assignments was on the Titanic, and a lot of us looked for resources for our kids, and several people posted docos, etc. on this thread.  Hope this helps!

• Like 1

My son at that age (and even now) loved the Titanic.  Several years ago, we read A Night to Remember by Walter Lord.  It's not too long, but has alot of personal accounts from interviews of disaster.  It was very good.  Also, I don't think it's free, but we really loved Ghosts of the Abyss which is done by James Cameron and Bill Paxton.  If you live near any of the Titanic exhibits, we enjoyed that as well.  I remember some kind of documentary on the History Channel which was all about the shipyard where the Titanic was built and the people who lived there.  http://www.history.com/topics/titanic might have some things.

Have fun,